The Spirit, by Will Eisner

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

The Spirit, by Will Eisner

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I just re-read the Alan Moore-scripted story "Last Night I Dreamed of Dr Cobra" from Issue Three of Kitchen Sink's The Spirit - the new adventures.

As always, when i re-read it, i was misty-eyed by the end.

========================

Eisner always said that his own favourite of all the Spirit stories was the tale of Gerhard Schnobble, the man who could fly.

Schnobble, a little nebbishy non-entity, loses his job ... and then remembers the fact (repressed since childhood) - that He.  Can.  Fly.

He goes to the top of the tallest building in town, leaps off, expecting everyone to notice and be amazed...

But nobody is.  Because the Spirit is fighting a bunch of crooks who had attempted an escape by helicopter, and they are fighting on the building's ledges.

Schnobble, wondering why nobody is exclaiming and pointing at him as he soars, flies directly into the line of fire as one of the crooks shoots at the Spirit.

...and so Gerhard Schnobble fluttered earthward.  But do not weep for Gerhard Schnobble - rather shed a tear for all mankind.

Because, of all the multitude gathered there, not one ever knew that, on that day, Gerhard Schnobble had flown.
At one time i agreed with Eisner.

================================

Then Alan Moore hit us right between the eyes with "Last Night I Dreamed of Dr Cobra."

Of all "Spirit" stories - the ones that Eisner (or Jules Feiffer, or other ghosts) wrote.

Of all the ones Eisner (or Wood, or Cole, or Fine) drew.

Of all the others that anyone wrote or drew.

"Last Night I Dreamed of Dr Cobra" is the best.

Period.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Re: The Spirit, by Will Eisner

Post by TazManiac »

But I haven't yet read all the 181 Doc Savage Supersagas...
AnotherFairportfan

Re: The Spirit, by Will Eisner

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Incidentally, if anyone would be interested in seeing those "Spirit" stories, a PM to me might help...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.