Fingers falling off?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Fingers falling off?

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I gotta go to the doctor/Emergency Room

Earlier today, i had some pain in the first to fingers of my left hand. I looked and was rather surprised by what i saw. (Left side of the picture). More recently, i started feeling twinges in the index finger of my right hand.

I have no idea what's causing this.

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Fingers falling off?

Post by Dave »

Yeah... get there right now, if not sooner. Looks like something that needs to be dealt with promptly. If it's a contact dermatitis they might prescribe corticosteroids; if they suspect something bacterial, antibiotics; or maybe an antifungal.

From out in the cheap seats, those look like inflamed/infected cuts or abrasions, as if you had picked up or handled something that damaged the skin. Maybe lifting something like sheet metal (sharp edge), or pulling plants with irritating properties (poison ivy, giant hogweed). Chopping out poisonous plants and then handling the chopping tool blade without cleaning it sufficiently might result in "transfer burns" that look like that.

Have you been doing any spring gardening lately? Some years back I blistered my hand while double-digging a vegetable bed, and ended up with a bacterial infection that required antibiotics... there's lots of dirt around when you're digging in the dirt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yep. FIgured it out - i got involved earlier with the dishwasher's case, which has an unbroken sheet metal edge - not where one would normally encounter it - trying to shift it back into place (it "walks"). Didn't realise i was cut till a couple hours later. It looks worse than it is in the picture, because it had dried blood.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Yep. FIgured it out - i got involved earlier with the dishwasher's case, which has an unbroken sheet metal edge - not where one would normally encounter it - trying to shift it back into place (it "walks"). Didn't realise i was cut till a couple hours later. It looks worse than it is in the picture, because it had dried blood.
Excellent! I've done pretty much that same sort of thing to myself any number of times - "paper cuts from hell" from the cut sheet-metal edges that the manufacturer stamped or sheared and didn't bother to smooth out.

A warm-water soak, and then some Bacitracin-and-bandaids for a few days will probably take care of it. (Two doctors trust, favor Bacitracin over the more-common triple-antibiotic ointment, as it seems to have less of a problem triggering allergic or other skin-sensitivity reactions).
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Follow on post;

Soak that hand in some very salty water to the pruney stage, rinse well after you get them good and wrinkly.
(Your body will try and equalize the minerals internal/external and in doing so pass fluids outwards, carrying bad stuff with it.)

Apply some Honey and a bad-aid to each knuckle/finger-joint, leave on until the (band-aids) fall off on their own.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Yep. FIgured it out - i got involved earlier with the dishwasher's case, which has an unbroken sheet metal edge - not where one would normally encounter it - trying to shift it back into place (it "walks"). Didn't realise i was cut till a couple hours later. It looks worse than it is in the picture, because it had dried blood.
Excellent! I've done pretty much that same sort of thing to myself any number of times - "paper cuts from hell" from the cut sheet-metal edges that the manufacturer stamped or sheared and didn't bother to smooth out.
Once when I was shopping for a computer case a store clerk recommended one and opened it up. I took one look and asked "Who made it - Ginsu?"

The clerk said "Oh, it isn't that bad" and ran a finger along one of the interior edges.

Then excused himself to go get a bandage. He was bleeding rather profusely (really not all that much on the grand scale, but considering it was a skin cut on his fingertip...)

I didn't buy that case.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I'm sorry, bot those fingers will have to come off. But that's OK, because once you get used to the phantom limbs pain, you'll be ready to start a new job as ghostwriter... :mrgreen:

Deposits a DVD of Casper the friendly ghost into the pun vault