Well, that's just flippin' wonderful...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Well, that's just flippin' wonderful...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

We need a new dishwasher.

I had dozed off in my chair at my computer (room next to the kitchen) and woke up smelling something burnt.  Steve came into the kitchen about the same time, and wondered abouyt the smell, too.

We observed that the kitchen outlets (refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher)  were off.  Steve went to the breaker box at the other end of the house, found a tripped breaker, and reset it.

I was in the utility room off the kitchen putting out some cat food, and i heard a HEAVY arc somewhere in the kitchen, and the breaker tripped again.

The dishwasher apparently has an internal electrical problem.

This is a picture of an area on the inside of the dishwasher door where the plastic inner panel has been partly melted in an area about two inches long.

So we gotta get the landlord to install a new one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Re: Well, that's just flippin' wonderful...

Post by TazManiac »

Have you been feeding the Gremlins after Midnight again?
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:Have you been feeding the Gremlins after Midnight again?
No, but i have been putting out sugar water to appease the Hornets...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

We have a 1954 dishwasher in our house- no electronic involved. Works great.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Please tell me you aren't referring to a person...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:Please tell me you aren't referring to a person...
Aw, Sarge wouldn't lie to you like that. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My model is a 1968... The hardest part is getting it started... :P
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So... Does getting the dishwasher loaded involve alcohol?

Speaking of booze, that reminds me: Tomorrow makes six months since I've been drunk. Huh. Not a recovering alcoholic or anything, I just hadn't thought of it until just now.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:So... Does getting the dishwasher loaded involve alcohol?
Yup. Works on the coffeemaker, too. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Sarge, I've got a 195-something one, for real. Doesn't work, although it looks great. I don't want to have it hauled off for scrap, but who would ever want to buy it? But since I can't afford a new one anyway, it's a moot point for now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Pst- Hornet (yellow-jackets, wasps...) They could care less about Sugar Water. They will revel in Animal Flesh, Protean, made available for them and in small enough doses as to avoid putrification before consumption.

We are not talking here about Honeybees and Butterflies and Hummingbirds, after all.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:Pst- Hornet (yellow-jackets, wasps...) They could care less about Sugar Water. They will revel in Animal Flesh, Protean, made available for them and in small enough doses as to avoid putrification before consumption.

We are not talking here about Honeybees and Butterflies and Hummingbirds, after all.
I must beg to differ. Yellow jackets and hornets certainly will go for sweets (fruits, sodas, etc.) in addition to proteins (meat, insects, etc.). That's my own experience, and The Great Font of Dubious Knowledge (Wikipedia) agrees.

Apparently, the adults consume the sugars and other carbohydrates themselves (flying takes much energy!) while meat is chewed up and then fed to the larvae in the nest.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

chicgeek wrote:Sarge, I've got a 195-something one, for real. Doesn't work, although it looks great. I don't want to have it hauled off for scrap, but who would ever want to buy it? But since I can't afford a new one anyway, it's a moot point for now.

... er... I was referring to myself... a 195? dishwasher?!?... didn't know they actually existed... picture?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
chicgeek wrote:Sarge, I've got a 195-something one, for real. Doesn't work, although it looks great. I don't want to have it hauled off for scrap, but who would ever want to buy it? But since I can't afford a new one anyway, it's a moot point for now.

... er... I was referring to myself... a 195? dishwasher?!?... didn't know they actually existed... picture?
I... wouldn't be surprised to see that you are both talking about the same thing... :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:Pst- Hornet (yellow-jackets, wasps...) They could care less about Sugar Water. They will revel in Animal Flesh, Protean, made available for them and in small enough doses as to avoid putrification before consumption.

As has already been said, but i want to emphasise - adult wasps live on plant sugars. They gather meat for the larvae.
AnotherFairportfan

Wasn' really talking about wasps at all.

The Hornets i was referring to were the progenitors of Gremlins...
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

I'll take a picture later, but have this.

And this looks close.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4048/4586 ... 94c1_z.jpg
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

chicgeek wrote:I'll take a picture later, but have this.

And this looks close.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4048/4586 ... 94c1_z.jpg
Well... I stand corrected... I honestly thought the original statement was some sort of love/hate sarcastic statement about one's mate, or something to that effect... :oops:
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I know that a dishwashing machine was demonstrated at the 1893 Chicago World's Columbian Exhibition (though I know nothing about how it worked or was powered), so they've certainly been around for a good long while.

I've only ever owned one dishwasher machine. I have no idea if it actually worked well--or at all--because I only ever used it as a storage space for bulky bags of foodstuffs.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

But, but, but- I'm supposed to know stuff & stuff; seems I wrote too fast without thinking it through and relied on my anecdotal observation vs my own common sense, let alone actually knowing what I was talking about.

Sorry.

Might happen again...