My 2007 Aniversary

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

My 2007 Aniversary

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Nine years ago today (December 23), the left anterior ventricular artery of my heart shut down. I learned at that point that death is not as frightening as one might think. As it stands right now, I am eminently pleased that the past nine years have been as rewarding as they have been- I suspect they have been rewarding because they were years that I might not have enjoyed. This is not to be maudlin, or evoke pity- but to remind us that life is at best temporary and our chief reason for existence is to live that life as fully as we know how. Take chances. Love somebody. Share a cookie. Sing, regardless of ability. Wish everybody well. Learn to forgive others (there are few burdens more debilitating than carrying a grudge). Learn to forgive yourself. Choose your battles wisely... then hand them to somebody else when practical.

And above all- MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Just Old Al

Re: My 2007 Aniversary

Post by Just Old Al »

What he said, in spades. Back to you as well, mate.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

Hear Hear!
Coincidentally, it's also been about 10 years for me and my other half, since the stroke he had, and the slow piling on of other problems. I cherish the days. it isn't borrowed time-borrowed is a loan. This is a gift.
And it still took me being bumped by a car when crossing the street to realize my own mortality and shift my thinking, assuming that I'd outlive him. All it did was knock me on my ass, but I needed that boot to the rear!
All the time we have is to be cherished. Fret and worry steals from that.
Congratulations, Sarge. *lifts a glass*
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Great words of advice, friend - and I'm glad you're still around with us.

Cheers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Life's short. Eat dessert first.

Having people regularly threaten to kill me, some of them even had the means to at least attempt, and a few too many tried... all that and knowing your active lifespan is limited to around 40 years due to AS and arthritis... anyway, you very quickly learn the above lesson. The greatest regrets come from that which you didn't do. It's almost always better to move on if you aren't quite happy than to stay for fear of losing what you have. Better to seek forgiveness than ask permission.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

A big Yes! to accepting each day as a gift.

This year was a stark reminder of that, for my wife and for me. She could have died from what happened... didn't, thanks to some excellent doctoring. It made us even more aware that nobody knows how long they have left... and how dependant we are upon others to enable us to live out those days.

This is a week when many people come together to express their thanks for the birth of one whom they see as their Saviour. That's not a faith that I personally profess, but I'm no stranger to the desire to express my gratitude. This year, especially, I feel deeply grateful for the kindness of strangers to those in need... to the skills and hard work of those who have chosen to follow the path of the healer... and above all, to the compassion and generosity of the human spirit which makes all of this possible.

Someone once shared a poem with me. I've never forgotten it.

"You are love.
That's all.
Everything else, is just stuff on top of the fact that you are love.
You know it.
Celebrate it.
Give it away."

Seems like a fine way to spend the days, however many they may be.

I lift a glass of cider to you, Sarge, in celebration of those nine years, and more that I hope you will continue to have and enjoy. May the world always offer you good things upon which to spend them!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I cant top that, nor would I try- and I mean more than just what Dave said, but Dave? (stop right now and go kiss the wife... we'll be here when you get back, go on now, ...)

OK, Look, I'm a very Bah Humbug, 'Don't tell _ME_ how to feel this time of year' type person but even so- and esp despite the fact that I'm professing the Holiday Spirit in June And July most of the time,, I am telling you folks to

Get Off the Keyboard and go hug Somebody. Right Now.

(and I miss DinkyInky...)

(And when they ask you, all flustered and off guard: "What are you doing?" just tell them- 'some guy on the Internet told me too'...)