12Dec2016 - The Last Time I used this particular PC

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

12Dec2016 - The Last Time I used this particular PC

Post by TazManiac »

It was 08Dec2015; Almost a year to the day as I fire it back up again...

(The 'new' PC is in the self imposed repair shop, so I broke out 'ol faithful...)

btw; here is the link to the 8th of December, 2015:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/our-secret/ (ostensibly, this post might belong over in the 'Tina, Tina, boBinna' thread...)

TazManiac

Re: 12Dec2016 - The Last Time I used this particular PC

Post by TazManiac »

PS- (i'm posting this from starbucks...)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

TazManiac wrote:PS- (i'm posting this from starbucks...)
TRAITOR!!!!... You need to beg forgiveness from Tina for patronizing THOSE guys place... MAYBE she'll let you back...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Tina said it was OK, just as long as I don't flirt w/ the Baristas...)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Are the tuna girls names swapped?

===============

No - i think i'm just confused
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote:PS- (i'm posting this from starbucks...)
My wife & daughters agree you should try someplace that serves good coffee...

(I can't comment on that, but I am unimpressed with Starbucks' tea and hot chocolate.)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

One of these days I ought to actually go into a Starbuck's, just so that I'll know what to be snarky about in the future.
AnotherFairportfan

Catawampus wrote:One of these days I ought to actually go into a Starbuck's, just so that I'll know what to be snarky about in the future.
I walk past one every day or so - in our Kroger.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I miss Tina!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Catawampus wrote:One of these days I ought to actually go into a Starbuck's, just so that I'll know what to be snarky about in the future.
Don't bother. You can pick up what you need from contect. :)

If I want good coffee I'll make it at home - otherwise, if out or traveling without my camper, it's Dunkin' Donuts.

If traveling with camper, I stock a hand-cranked grinder and a French Press.

I know. TMI... :)

Alan
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Dunkin Donuts is dead to me.

I don't drink coffee. But i loved fresh baked doughnuts from DD.

Now they have stale doughnuts baked in a factory somewhere.
sjmcc13

Post by sjmcc13 »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Dunkin Donuts is dead to me.

But it is better for their bottom line, in house baking takes up space and requires extra employees, making they at a centralized location is cheaper and frees up space for use at each location.

Most do not really care about the loss of quality, unfortunately.

(I think Tim's made the same move here in Canada a couple years ago)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Shipley's still makes doughnuts in house. They don't do a bad coffee either, although it's not up to DD's standards.
AnotherFairportfan

sjmcc13 wrote:

But it is better for their bottom line, in house baking takes up space and requires extra employees, making they at a centralized location is cheaper and frees up space for use at each location.

Doc Smith is probably ashamed of them, wherever he is.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

And since my original post I've moved over to another PC for the interm period- but it's nowhere near ready for easy of use, day to day activity.... yet.

I don't really care for Starbucks myself, I'm a Pete's man myself- turns out 'Pete' was the Starbuck's Founders' Mentor, so there you go... (When Starbucks broke out Nationwide I was against them very voraciously; 'the Demise of the Local Mom-n'-Pop Coffee Shop!, The Horror!...'....

Since then I use them for Fast Pipeline Internet when I'm away from a ready hook-up, for the cost of a cuppa Joe. (Pikes Peak is crap, but it's not that bad...

At one point, all Last Century and everything, I was grinding my own too, (and still do) from a rotation that included Tanzanian Peaberry, Java (as apposed to the blend; Mocha-Java), Sumatran, and other varietals.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

sjmcc13 wrote:

from what i heard, out here in the Seattle area about 15+ years ago, the government completely shut down ALL the Dunkin' Donuts, Boston Market's and Little Ceasar's pizza joints, because the East-coast Mob was using them as part of a money-laundering scheme... the switch to a central bakery, versus every place making their own, could have been part of the cost of allowing the business to stay open, probably by cutting out anybody that was using it to cook the books with fictional employees... i know that some Little Ceasars's are just starting to reappear out here again, as one opened up a mile away from home, probably about one, maybe two, years ago... i haven't seen any Boston Market's though.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

sjmcc13 wrote:But it is better for their bottom line, in house baking takes up space and requires extra employees, making they at a centralized location is cheaper and frees up space for use at each location.

I can assure you that Tim Horton's DO bake their own, in-house doughnuts.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And they STILL don't have any stores in Wisconsin. :(
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(never even heard of Tim Hortons...)

PS- Currently fighting to install a working copy of Ubuntu Studio 16.10 into an Apple Macbook Pro. (I really found I couldn't use the macOS efficiently...)

I'm lilkely going to stretch for a double or triple boot of different OSes by the time I'm done. just because.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Follow up; btw- this is another unit from the one that started this thread; that was a Dual Core WinTel laptop, this one currently is a Macbook Pro.

In a fit of 'running out of fat Internet pipeline' (the Library will eventually close...) I went ahead and 'Nuked it from Orbit' by doing an 'All Ubuntu, All the Time' hands-off install. This had the happy effect of creating a working Mac that booted, and ran Linux, with some caveats:

- Broadcom wifi chipset: while functional by default while booted from the LiveCD(USB Flash Drive) I use to install from, the wifi was, and remained, deactivated and inert folowing the fresh install. I swear it seemed like Ten Years since I had to download and install B43-Cutter (I might have spelled that slightly wrong). (B43x stuff is related to the Broadcom Chipset running the wifi radio transceiver...) In fact this more modern Macbook shares the same failing of support that the afore mentioned Dell laptop has- you need a hardwire (Ethernet) connection, or another PC thats Online, to enable the newly installed computer to get it's wifi working. - FAIL - as far as the Installation Developers and Feedback/Debugging Process has gone. (I suppose I should put down my glass-house crashing bricks and get behind a fix for this instead of just complaining about it...)

- It's a Single OS/Home Partition. By default the installer makes th Linux/Ububtu OS and all your files and downloads reside on a single partition on the Hard Drive. No big deal really, most every other OS does the same, but I like having my OS and Docs in two separate parts, that way i can sh*t-can the OS partition as needed and reinstall, upgrade as i see fit. It's a minor thing, now that things are up and running, to shrink some partitions and create a new one to house a separate '/Home' location, but I was trying to do this during the Install, and it wouldn't.

- Last Thing: The old 'LiveCD's were useful in many ways, one of which was both blessing and curse- they were Static; you couldn't save to them, couldn't run modifications/patches/updates... in other words, once you rebooted it was back to the same old (safe and stable) OS environment. Since then there has been many developments to create what falls under the umbrella of a term known as 'Persistence'. It means there is space on the boot medium to save files, make changes, add updates, etc, etc. Rebooting doesn't wipe everything out.

Well, the new 16.x versions of Ubuntu Studio (Which is what I focus on out of practicality), and which uses a front end based on XFCE, formats the USB drive you install the 'LiveCD' image to, in a very usually way making crafting a 'casper-rw' persistence file into a replacement persistence partition (and thereby taking the lid off of storage limitations) a funny thing to decipher.

I know somebody has already done it, but it's a drag at the moment, esp as I hadn't know to need to look for this new version of a solution, prior to jumping once more into the breach dear friends...

In any case, if you've lasted this long (and I still need to go spellcheck this* w/ a touchpad that [in Linux, at the moment] doesn't recognize the Right-Mouse-Click...), it's written from a PC hat hours ago was running crappy 'I Know Whats Better For You' OS X Lion 10.7.5. But it aint no more, heh heh heh...

(Oh crap, only 8 mins of battery power left, gotta hurry w/ the spellcheck!)
- corrected, at least most, misspellings...
- *re-Corrected more spelling & grammar