2016 just jumped the shark

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

2016 just jumped the shark

Post by GlytchMeister »

So apparently 2016 has run out of original material and is stealing disaster ideas from previous years.

Now, not only is 2016 one of the worst years in the lifetimes of the current generation, it is now a low-budget sequel: an earthquake just happened off the coast of Fukushima, Japan, and the nuclear power plant's cooling system broke.

Again.

C'mon. Really? Really. Ugh.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Re: 2016 just jumped the shark

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hmm. Haven't seen any corroborating stories about the nuclear power plant's coolant system. Will investigate further.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I recently saw an image that summed this all up perfectly... can't find it because "2016" is a terrible search parameter.

Picture a bookshelf, a la encyclopedia yearbooks...

The year we don't speak of
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Glytch... Your post triggered a very hearty gallows humour belly laugh upon partaking of...

Here are some 2105 headlines (good ol Google cant find the one I want yet...)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... est-coast/
https://www.theguardian.com/weather/201 ... s-us-shore
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... ET20150317

btw- I currently reside (most of the time) between the SF Bay Area and the near-coast recesses of Northerner California.

Still looking for that Simpsons brand three-eyed Salmon to come swimming upstream...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Here are some 2105 headlines (good ol Google cant find the one I want yet...)
Oh wow! I want whatever Crystal ball they're using! :mrgreen:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(fraaaaaaaaack...)

but anyways, the story I didn't yet look up was the big ol Japanese boat dock... made from Concrete... that found it's way over to the Northern California Coast, all by itself.

At that point it was more about Hazard to Navigation and 'I wonder if it sunk anybody on the way' moreso than whether it was irradiated...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Story i heard on NPR was that the nuclear plants had been shut down in anticipation of tsunami.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Yea, this one was nowhere near as bad as the former Fukishima Tsunami. The worst I heard were three meter (ten foot) tsunami waves, but nothing broke the tidal barriers. The nuclear reactors are quite safe.

The whole pacific tectonic plate has been restless over the past couple of decades, which has been causing the 'ring of fire' to increase in activity. We could see a 9.x out in Cali from this, or more tsunami out by the Philippines or Japan, though. Fortunately for California, the pacific tectonic plate ends in the middle of the state, so you don't have the danger of tsunami along their coast. If anything, it would be outbound from Cali rather than inbound. Of course, that does mean the occasional earthquake, but pick your poison.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote: The whole pacific tectonic plate has been restless over the past couple of decades, which has been causing the 'ring of fire' to increase in activity. We could see a 9.x out in Cali from this, or more tsunami out by the Philippines or Japan, though. Fortunately for California, the pacific tectonic plate ends in the middle of the state, so you don't have the danger of tsunami along their coast. If anything, it would be outbound from Cali rather than inbound. Of course, that does mean the occasional earthquake, but pick your poison.
This makes New England look good for more than one reason... :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Just Old Al wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote: The whole pacific tectonic plate has been restless over the past couple of decades, which has been causing the 'ring of fire' to increase in activity. We could see a 9.x out in Cali from this, or more tsunami out by the Philippines or Japan, though. Fortunately for California, the pacific tectonic plate ends in the middle of the state, so you don't have the danger of tsunami along their coast. If anything, it would be outbound from Cali rather than inbound. Of course, that does mean the occasional earthquake, but pick your poison.
Years ago I saw a map of the US that showed the likelihood of various natural disasters happening: floods, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, whatnot. From what I recall, one corner of Utah was basically the safest place in the country.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Catawampus wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Years ago I saw a map of the US that showed the likelihood of various natural disasters happening: floods, blizzards, earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, whatnot. From what I recall, one corner of Utah was basically the safest place in the country.

Everybody talks of California dropping into the ocean- the exact opposite is far more likely. The Sierra Nevada range of eastern San Joachim and Sacramento valleys originally sloped down to the sea until the northern and southern coastals were thrown up to encompass a shallow inland sea that eventually became the valleys n question. A major re-shuffle will pretty much level most human artifacts and land-lock San Francisco, LA, Monterrey and the rest.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Just Old Al wrote:
Nor'Easters. And Winter in general.

For a guy with AS and arthritis, and even with PTSD involving tornadoes, I still prefer tornadoes to gnarly winters.

I've been thinking about moving south in the near future, as a matter of fact. I'll gladly trade the certain shitty Illinois winter for an increased chance of tornadoes. As long as I have a basement, I'm good. Hell, I might just buy a basement with no house or something. I'll have to make sure I'm on high ground to avoid flooding...
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

California gets Earthquakes all the time;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... arthquakes

Of note were (pasting from wikipedia): the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which registered 6.9 and affected the San Francisco Bay Area,[6] and the 1994 Northridge earthquake which registered 6.7 and hit the Greater Los Angeles Area,[7] caused widespread damage and deaths in their respective regions.

And those weren’t even 'the Big One!' we always here about.

PS- When the Fukashima hit the SF Bay experienced a small Tsunami wave. It damaged coastal shipping and fishing fleets a bit, some wharves, and stuff and the part that made it through the Golden Gate?; by the time it had spread out into the wider Bay proper it still registered at least a foot tall and approx 7 miles wide. Lots of acre feet of H2O...
Last edited by TazManiac on Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

TazManiac wrote:California get Earthquakes all the time;

Of note where (pasting from wikipedia): the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which registered 6.9 and affected the San Francisco Bay Area,[6] and the 1994 Northridge earthquake which registered 6.7 and hit the Greater Los Angeles Area,[7] caused widespread damage and deaths in their respective regions.

And those weren’t even 'the Big One!' we always here about.

PS- When the Fukashima hit the SF Bay experienced a small Tsunami wave. It damaged coastal shipping and fishing fleets a bit, some wharves, and stuff and the part that made it through the Golden Gate?; by the time it had spread out into the wider Bay proper it still registered at least a foot tall and approx 7 miles wide. Lots of acre feet of H2O...
I lived in the LA area '66-'71, felt several while I was there. The interesting ones I can recall caused the light suspended over the dining room table to swing a bit and a nighttime one that shook my bed. The 1971 San Fernando quake happened while I was still there, I recall the news coverage of the damage to the Veterans Hospital. We moved to Texas later that year- my dad changed jobs, not due to fear of falling into the ocean!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
Nor'Easters. And Winter in general.

For a guy with AS and arthritis, and even with PTSD involving tornadoes, I still prefer tornadoes to gnarly winters.

I've been thinking about moving south in the near future, as a matter of fact. I'll gladly trade the certain shitty Illinois winter for an increased chance of tornadoes. As long as I have a basement, I'm good. Hell, I might just buy a basement with no house or something. I'll have to make sure I'm on high ground to avoid flooding...
Well, let's think about this...

Move to Texas and you can suffer several different ways. North Texas: heat, cold, tornadoes, wayward Okies, minor earthquakes. West Texas: heat, dust, wayward oilfield trash. South Texas: heat, hurricanes, chupacabras. East Texas: heat, humidity, tornadoes, hurricanes, wayward Coonasses. Houston-Gulf Coast area where I live- heat, humidity, tornadoes, hurricanes, mosquitos, floods, earthquakes you do not feel because the ground is a clay/mush mix, wayward everybody's, more heat and humidity, and some of the best people you have ever met. I truly love it here! Ok, maybe not the mosquitos.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I just deleted my recommendation that you give Arkansas a try. I realized we have a serious gang problem in Little Rock, and then there's all the meth.

Which, strangely... I haven't actually heard of anyone I know (note that I did not include my opinion if them and their habits) doing meth on a regular basis. Though I have heard of meth labs burning down and blowing up, and the occasional raid on a meth lab.

Though, I do hear a ton about pot. It's almost like you could go to any crowded place and throw a rock, and the person you hit either smokes weed, or knows someone who does.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:California get Earthquakes all the time;

Of note where (pasting from wikipedia): the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which registered 6.9 and affected the San Francisco Bay Area,[6] and the 1994 Northridge earthquake which registered 6.7 and hit the Greater Los Angeles Area,[7] caused widespread damage and deaths in their respective regions.
I rode out the Loma Prieta quake while at work, on the upper floor of a "tilt-up" office building right across 101 from the Palo Alto marshland... soft soil, prone to amplify shaking.

It was not a fun ride... I spent it under my cubicle desk, talking to the floor, trying to persuade it not to collapse into downstairs.

Still, I think I'd take that over a close encounter with a tornado.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

What about Tenessee? I used to live in Knoxville when I was fairly young... The winters were almost nonexistent compared to Illinois, and I don't remember any major weather problem.

There was the small issue of Oak Ridge... Apparently a local hunter bagged a thre-eyed deer one season. That's a little concerning.

But as long as I stay away from the Y-12 building that shouldn't be much of an issue. :P
I'm too much!