A scary time...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

A scary time...

Post by Dave »

So, my wife Gwen and I are in Naoussa, a small town in one of Greece's wine-growing reckonings. We had just started a long-planned tour of this part of the world, and things have gone seriously sidewise.

She's in the hospital. Probably will be here for another four days, if things go well. If things don't go well... :(

She came down ill a couple of days after we arrived. The diagnosis is cellulitis... basically the same thing that hit lake_wrangler a month or two ago. In Gwen's case it got started in the area where her breast cancer treatment has left the skin scarred and weakened... some bacteria got in and decided to have a party. By the time the bus got us to our planned lunch yesterday she was in serious pain and almost too nauseous to move.

Our trip leader got us to the small hospital, got her seen immediately, interpreted for us as necessary, and helped get things started. The doctors agree she needs intravenous antibiotics for several days. The tour has gone on without us;. we may or may not be able to continue the tour after her treatment depending on the prognosis and recommendations. I'm in touch with the travel insurance provider's medical support team, so we can arrange care and decide what to do once she's released from treatment.

Being in any hospital is scary enough. Being in one in a foreign country where you speak only a few words of the language... not fun at all. She is of course miserably uncomfortable, scared, upset with the situation, prone to blame herself for messing up our vacation. She even suggested I go on with the tour so I wouldn't miss anything... I think my exact response was "No f***ing way."

It's a small hospital, and the doctor who first treated her said to me "Be honest with me... it's a bit third world, isn't it?". Not your modern gleaming-chrome palace, it's true... but not that different from many older small-town hospitals in the U.S., and I think Gwen's receiving just the right sort of care.

We have been treated with extreme kindness the whole time we've been here. The surgeon arranged a private room for her, got the OK for me to spend the night in another bed so I could be with her, and this morning the senior lady on the clinic floor says she thinks I can continue to stay for the duration... they're not busy at the moment and don't need the beds for patients. The guys at the store where I bought a local cellphone and SIMM gave me their number and said to call if I need any sort of help. The two English-speaking doctors we've dealt with have been great. A young couple from the vineyard where our tour stopped for lunch yesterday came over, brought flowers and grapes and baked goods, stayed to visit for an hour, and told us to call them if there's anything at all they can do to help... all this kindness for two strangers they hadn't even seen at a distance. Gwen and I both had tears in our eyes after they left.

The best news is that the antibiotics seem to be kicking in... the senior surgeon says he sees improvement. I've been scared shitless that she might have picked up an infection like MRSA... some of these antibiotic-resistant strains are almost (or entirely) impossible to treat, and one such could have killed her.

So, the situation is serious, but not (now) grave, I think. Keeping fingers crossed that things progress well.

... and trying to keep my own fear from showing, when I'm with her. Feeling helpless and dependent sucks, especially when it's a life that's on the line. Far worse for her than for me, of course.
Hansontoons

Re: A scary time...

Post by Hansontoons »

Wow. Very glad to hear the treatment has her improving.

Best wishes for quick recovery!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I feel for you...

Best of luck, hope it clears up soon.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...damn...

I'm glad you're being taken care of, and I'm glad she's on the mend.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

(hugs) All the healing wishes for her, and strength to you both. I'm glad she's improving, and that there are kind strangers in this scary situation.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Mr. Dave, I'm sending good thoughts her way, in my own tool-box of symbolism I'm working on clearing the colors, getting them clear and vibrant.

Perhaps, seeing as how you guys are on Vacation, it might help to take a trip two blocks that way and one block over and what presents it self that might be represented in the room you share. Not necessarily expensive touristy thing, more like a bit of the local color as it were.

A brief jaunt, not to far & not too long, works wonders to expel static stress, rejuvenate your peace of mind, and provide needed perspective.

A companion gains from the other's mere presence; subtle and non-verbal things as much as any demonstrations and pronouncements. Be sure to make the time to cycle through your own self. Refreshed and renewed of internal reserves.

We're here, aint going nowhere, you hang in over there...
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

This house is praying...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks, all! The prayers and thoughts are much appreciated.

The good news: antibiotics are working, infection under control and receding, she's not in danger. She'll be OK.

The not so good: to clean out the abcess and prevent a lingering infection, they felt they had to remove her reconstructive implant. Talk about a gobsmacking piece of news. :(

She agreed, we came to agreement on the anesthesia protocol, and two hours later the job was done. We'll find out later today what the post-op is likely to be like.

She'd had a lot of discomfort from it in recent years, and it had already reached the 10-year point at which implants often have to be replaced anyhow, so this may just have advanced the clock on something which would have had to happen anyhow. Still a sucky way to spend a vacation, though.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Good progress the last few days. Gwen spent a total of three nights in the hospital, and was released Thursday evening at dinnertime; handed some medications, and we moved to a small hotel a couple of blocks from the hospital. Went back Friday morning for a check, and the doctors were happy. She has to go back again Monday morning; if things look OK there's a good chance they'll remove the surgical drain, bandage her up again and pronounce her fit to travel. At that point we'll head back to the States and get her to her regular doctor for follow-up.

We we able to arrange for a taxi tour tomorrow to Meteora, the location in northern Greece that she most wanted to see (and have me see)... for her to visit the monasteries will take a bunch of the "sting" out of what has happened.

So, a lot of bad and unpleasant stuff happened, no question about it... she's been hurt, and if she hadn't gotten to hospital care when she did, she could have died. That's not an easy experience to process.

The Universe seems to have decided to balance out the scales somewhat, though, by having this all take place in the midst of perhaps the nicest, friendliest, most supportive group of people we've ever encountered. We two Americans have been drenched in the milk of human kindness ever since we arrived in this strange city where we knew no one at all and speak only a few words of the language. I'm in awe, and humbly resolved to try to exhibit this sort of kindness more actively in my own life. It's a spirit I'd love to see more of in our own society.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

It's nice to be reminded there is still some good left in the world.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Gods, Dave...glad it's all coming out OK. THoughts and prayers from here as well, and there will be an offering for you on the altar this evening.

Damn, son. Speaking as one who managed to get broken in a foreign country as well I don't envy you - but it does sound like you picked JUST the right spot in the universe to do it.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:The Universe seems to have decided to balance out the scales somewhat, though, by having this all take place in the midst of perhaps the nicest, friendliest, most supportive group of people we've ever encountered. We two Americans have been drenched in the milk of human kindness ever since we arrived in this strange city where we knew no one at all and speak only a few words of the language. I'm in awe, and humbly resolved to try to exhibit this sort of kindness more actively in my own life. It's a spirit I'd love to see more of in our own society.
Civilization. What a concept. :D

Awfully glad she's recovering. Safe travels, and have some fun, if you can.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well done all around. oh, and by the way; for those of us as yet never having left the North American Continent, and are living vicariously through your trip abroad- we (ahem, make that the Royal 'We', heh heh) wouldn't mind a picture or two of those ancient sites you plan to visit. And maybe a goat.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:Well done all around. oh, and by the way; for those of us as yet never having left the North American Continent, and are living vicariously through your trip abroad- we (ahem, make that the Royal 'We', heh heh) wouldn't mind a picture or two of those ancient sites you plan to visit. And maybe a goat.
Can't provide you with a goat, but photos of goats we do have. :D

The trip to Meteora was a complete success... weather great, not too crowded, Gwen managed the up-and-down walking on the steps and paths and trails quite well, and we were able to visit all six of the monasteries and nunneries perched on the spires of rock.

They don't allow photos in the actual chapels, but I got lots of pictures of the outer rooms and lots of exterior shots. On the way home we encountered a goatherd and his flock by the side of the road and got some good photos.

I'll post a few shortly after we get home.

I did use one of my photos of goats from a previous trip as part of a mashup in the"Waiting for Pablot" thread in the Fan Art section... that may help tide You over.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Whelp; That will have to tide me over- Tell Gwen-gal she's thought of both positively & enviously.

Luv you man.
Dave

Home!

Post by Dave »

Home safely! Gwen was released from care in Naousa on Monday afternoon, and given the OK for air travel. Our travel insurer was able to get us tickets on a flight from Thessaloniki via Istanbul, leaving Tuesday morning, and we got home Tuesday afternoon. We see her doctor tomorrow to plan out the followup care.

We took the whole day Sunday for a visit to Meteora, a couple of hours' drive away from Naousa. Gwen was able to manage the steep walks up to all of the monasteries and nunneries (a total of six) without problems, even though she was only four days post-surgery. She slowed down and took some rest breaks but was not about to give up her goal to see 'em all. The weather was perfect.

In the end, we got to see much more of Meteora than if we'd stayed with our tour. On our last day in Naousa, our driver took us around to see the site of the School of Aristotle (where Alexander the Great studied as a youth), and then to two fantastic underground Macedonian tombs (closed due to the Greek economic crisis, but the curator agreed to open them and gave us a private tour).

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/meteora ... 2-FZ35.jpg

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/meteora ... 5-FZ35.jpg

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/meteora ... 43-P50.jpg

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/meteora ... 6-FZ35.jpg
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Amazing Lady! To be down and out and then rebound as she did!

By best to both of you!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave!, welcome back. Tell Gwen it looks like she summited Everest w/o the use of O2. Strong gal. Much love.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks, everybody! I passed your words along to Gwen and she was most touched and appreciative.

At this point the crisis is over, although there's much healing left to be done. We flew back to California on Tuesday, the day after she was cleared to travel... the only tickets were via Istanbul. Wonder of wonders, the long flight was only half-full; she got a three-seat row to herself and was able to lie down and sleep through most of the flight. Best thing for her, I think.

We saw her plastic surgeon on Thursday. He confirmed my impression, that the doctors in Greece did exactly the right things for her. She doesn't need any more surgery (at least not now or for quite some time) or even antibiotics. Just has to bathe the surgical site twice a day, and keep it covered with a surgical gauze pad... probably for a couple of months, or maybe three. She thinks it looks ghastly; I reassure her that it is healing and will get better.

Best news is that the little lesion which initiated the infection is definitely not a recurrence of her cancer. It was due to progressive damage from the radiation therapy she received years ago... scarring of the blood vessels led to reduced blood circulation and a bit of skin died. Her surgeon said it's "a classic case" of that sort of issue. Now that her implant is out, and the pressure is off the tissues, things should heal up OK in time.

Today is her birthday. We'd hoped to celebrate it overseas but that, alas, isn't in the cards this time. Instead, I hit the farmer's market this morning and got the ingredients for a big feed, for the two of us and a retired friend: salmon steaks on the outdoor gas grill (Cajun blackened, garum masala, and herbs de Provence), steamed bicolor sweet corn, sliced potatoes sauteed in olive oil with fresh rosemary, Chinese long beans sauteed with grated ginger and black bean sauce, heirloom tomatoes stewed with some Jimmy Nardello frying peppers, fresh garlic bread, and a mixed-green salad and Ambrosia melon. Gonna go have seconds for dinner, now :) Yes, we're spoiled having access to such wonderful ingredients!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:Thanks, everybody! I passed your words along to Gwen and she was most touched and appreciative.

At this point the crisis is over, although there's much healing left to be done. We flew back to California on Tuesday, the day after she was cleared to travel... the only tickets were via Istanbul. Wonder of wonders, the long flight was only half-full; she got a three-seat row to herself and was able to lie down and sleep through most of the flight. Best thing for her, I think.

We saw her plastic surgeon on Thursday. He confirmed my impression, that the doctors in Greece did exactly the right things for her. She doesn't need any more surgery (at least not now or for quite some time) or even antibiotics. Just has to bathe the surgical site twice a day, and keep it covered with a surgical gauze pad... probably for a couple of months, or maybe three. She thinks it looks ghastly; I reassure her that it is healing and will get better.

Best news is that the little lesion which initiated the infection is definitely not a recurrence of her cancer. It was due to progressive damage from the radiation therapy she received years ago... scarring of the blood vessels led to reduced blood circulation and a bit of skin died. Her surgeon said it's "a classic case" of that sort of issue. Now that her implant is out, and the pressure is off the tissues, things should heal up OK in time.

Today is her birthday. We'd hoped to celebrate it overseas but that, alas, isn't in the cards this time. Instead, I hit the farmer's market this morning and got the ingredients for a big feed, for the two of us and a retired friend: salmon steaks on the outdoor gas grill (Cajun blackened, garum masala, and herbs de Provence), steamed bicolor sweet corn, sliced potatoes sauteed in olive oil with fresh rosemary, Chinese long beans sauteed with grated ginger and black bean sauce, heirloom tomatoes stewed with some Jimmy Nardello frying peppers, fresh garlic bread, and a mixed-green salad and Ambrosia melon. Gonna go have seconds for dinner, now :) Yes, we're spoiled having access to such wonderful ingredients!
Glad to hear of your safe return- and of your Lady's recovery. Assure her that scar tissue is no big thing- well, on ME it is 'cause there's so much of it- and that she is still and always will be yer ever lovin'. Now, where did I put that recipe for post-surgical healing daught...? lessee here ... catfish eyeballs.. madrake root... possum... frog entrails... more possum... two quarts of corn... hmm... no, one and a half... I'll get back with ya on this...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.