Boxing

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Boxing

Post by GlytchMeister »

So I've been watching some of Muhammed Ali's fights lately.

I was not prepared.

You see, modern heavyweight boxing is... Well, it seems almost tepid in comparison to "The Rumble In The Jungle" and "The Thrilla In Manila"

What changed? What happened between back then and now where boxing went from an actual violent sport to mostly hugging your opponent?

Some of the newer fights I've seen... they just don't seem as... Real. Like they aren't fighting as hard as they honestly could.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Re: Boxing

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:Some of the newer fights I've seen... they just don't seem as... Real. Like they aren't fighting as hard as they honestly could.
because they might get HURT... and that will prevent them from fighting again... and that would make the fight sponsors... unhappy... and they wouldn't make their advertising quotas, and that would mean that those sponsors don't suck in the few million that they MIGHT have had that boxer NOT gotten injured and be unable to fight... who cares about the health and well being of that fighter, just the "what have you done for me lately?" attitude for the profit-margin machine...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Of course it boils down to money...
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Boxing used to be a lot more mainstream. I remember my grandfather watching boxing matches on TV when I was a little kid. I think they were on every week.

He said it was fun when TV first got popular--you could watch the fight on TV while listening to it on the radio, and it was always more exciting on radio. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Typeminer wrote:Boxing used to be a lot more mainstream. I remember my grandfather watching boxing matches on TV when I was a little kid. I think they were on every week.

He said it was fun when TV first got popular--you could watch the fight on TV while listening to it on the radio, and it was always more exciting on radio. :mrgreen:
Back, many years ago, when I had season tickets for the San Antonio Spurs, I learned to bring a pocket radio to listen to the sports station broadcast on earbuds. Their play by play and color were much better than what came over the P.A. (I actually did the same for tv broadcasts)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I only vaguely remember Ali at his height. The "Rope-A-Dope" and his swan song with Spinks.

Ali was always larger-than-life. After him, though, the heavyweight ranks were just not the same. Rocky was more entertaining than the Mike Tyson Follies.

I don't think boxing is long for this world, in the light of MMA being so popular now. The fighters who would have made Friday Night Fights a spectacle are gravitating to that sport instead.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

jwhouk wrote:I only vaguely remember Ali at his height. The "Rope-A-Dope" and his swan song with Spinks.

Ali was always larger-than-life. After him, though, the heavyweight ranks were just not the same. Rocky was more entertaining than the Mike Tyson Follies.

I don't think boxing is long for this world, in the light of MMA being so popular now. The fighters who would have made Friday Night Fights a spectacle are gravitating to that sport instead.
MMA has no honor, no respect, and is just one very short step from being Bloodsport. Which is a shame, actually. I've been mixing styles for some twenty plus years now, it could have been a way for the various styles to come together and share knowledge. But MMA is just... cage matches. There's no respect for your opponent, there's no understanding that this is a sparring match. Bones get broken. Concussions happen regularly.

Putting someone in traction does not prove that you are a martial artist. It proves that you are a bully. It brings shame to you, your instructor, and your school.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Right... With Ali's boxing, I could plainly see the strategy going on. There was complex thought happening. Ali taunted Foreman into a rage to make him keep punching and tire himself out to the point where he couldn't even hold his gloves up.

MMA is people beating the shit outta each other. It's like a human dogfight. They're trying to kill each other. It's not much better than Mayweather's attitude.
(I can't stand Mayweather, by the way)

Yeah, there's strategy, but... Damn.

I watched about five minutes of MMA and I switched back to MythBusters because of this... I was hoping for something more akin to a traditional karate tournament with multiple styles. That's... Not what I got.
I'm too much!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

GlytchMeister wrote:Right... With Ali's boxing, I could plainly see the strategy going on. There was complex thought happening. Ali taunted Foreman into a rage to make him keep punching and tire himself out to the point where he couldn't even hold his gloves up.

MMA is people beating the shit outta each other. It's like a human dogfight. They're trying to kill each other. It's not much better than Mayweather's attitude.
(I can't stand Mayweather, by the way)

Yeah, there's strategy, but... Damn.

I watched about five minutes of MMA and I switched back to MythBusters because of this... I was hoping for something more akin to a traditional karate tournament with multiple styles. That's... Not what I got.
the only consolation i can give you guys is that we're not QUITE up to "Climbing For Dollars" or "The Running Man" level of broadcast blood sport...
YET...

but give it a few more years and we may be reminiscing about "the Good Ol' Days" when they ONLY gave somebody a concussion, or broke a bone and got a time out for 'unnecessary roughness' ...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I've not paid any attention to the MMA stuff, but from what I understand it is supposed to be closer to what would happen in a real fight. Boxing is much more about working within a very tightly restricted set of boundaries; it has less of a wide range of skills, but requires greater skill in a narrower range.

It's sort of like the difference between Olympic fencing and a real swordfight on a battlefield. The Olympic fencer is really good at getting the point of his sword to go where he pokes it under certain conditions. . .but he's likely going to be utterly unprepared when his opponent kicks a rock into his face rather than saluting. That's part of the reason I never got into fencing as a pastime: while I appreciate the skill involved, I always found the artificial constraints to be frustrating. Though it is hilarious to see the reactions when you ask if you can bring in your own sword, and then come in with your claymore and use it foil-style with them in foil matches and they have no idea what to do.
ShneekeyTheLost

Catawampus wrote:I've not paid any attention to the MMA stuff, but from what I understand it is supposed to be closer to what would happen in a real fight. Boxing is much more about working within a very tightly restricted set of boundaries; it has less of a wide range of skills, but requires greater skill in a narrower range.
No. A real fight with a real martial artist is over and done in about ten seconds, and if the other guy has a weapon of any kind, he'll not only never know what happened, he'll never know anything else ever again. However, that's not the kind of fight that is likely to draw crowds because a) it is over too quick, b) no one but other martial artists will have a clue of what the hell just happened, and c) crippling people has a tendency to dramatically reduce the number of participants.

MMA is a cage-match bloodsport, pure and simple. There is no respect for your opponent, no respect for your school, for your style(s), or anything else. It's like a bastard cross of Boxing and WWF Wrestling with some Van Damme 80's movie thrown in for good measure. Only without the ability to cry 'mat'te'.
It's sort of like the difference between Olympic fencing and a real swordfight on a battlefield. The Olympic fencer is really good at getting the point of his sword to go where he pokes it under certain conditions. . .but he's likely going to be utterly unprepared when his opponent kicks a rock into his face rather than saluting. That's part of the reason I never got into fencing as a pastime: while I appreciate the skill involved, I always found the artificial constraints to be frustrating. Though it is hilarious to see the reactions when you ask if you can bring in your own sword, and then come in with your claymore and use it foil-style with them in foil matches and they have no idea what to do.
No, that's a comparison between traditional TKD and Olympic TKD. Real TKD started off as a military style for the Korean army and is vicious. Olympic TKD is point-playing. In a back alley, the Olympic TKD participant is going to get his ass handed to him by any common back-street brawler. The traditional TKD participant, on the other hand, will hand both of them their heads, unless they are in an olympic style sparring bout, in which case the olympic will out-point him.

The difference being that the traditional TKD student will learn and abide by the Olympic rules if he agrees to the Olympic bout. Because the Traditional TKD student has control, discipline, and respect. An MMA participant, on the other hand, has none of those things.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Catawampus wrote: I always found the artificial constraints to be frustrating. Though it is hilarious to see the reactions when you ask if you can bring in your own sword, and then come in with your claymore and use it foil-style with them in foil matches and they have no idea what to do.
Some of the most fun I had in my time with the SCA was the 'tavern brawls' with an epee and a beer mug or 'sausage' in your parry hand...

Not so much traditional fencing...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Sword fighting with a "sausage" in your hand?

*backs away slowly*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Catawampus wrote:I've not paid any attention to the MMA stuff, but from what I understand it is supposed to be closer to what would happen in a real fight. Boxing is much more about working within a very tightly restricted set of boundaries; it has less of a wide range of skills, but requires greater skill in a narrower range.
No. A real fight with a real martial artist is over and done in about ten seconds, and if the other guy has a weapon of any kind, he'll not only never know what happened, he'll never know anything else ever again. However, that's not the kind of fight that is likely to draw crowds because a) it is over too quick, b) no one but other martial artists will have a clue of what the hell just happened, and c) crippling people has a tendency to dramatically reduce the number of participants.
Hence why I said "supposed to be" and "closer".
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:Sword fighting with a "sausage" in your hand?

*backs away slowly*
You'd be surprised at the advantage of being the crazy one in a brawl can be...
Sausage.gif
Sausage.gif (248.76 KiB) Viewed 11032 times
It was a 12" section of rattan suitably duct taped to SCA standards for use a parry weapon. The beer mugs were basically an aproximately sized bit of closed cell foam with a handle, duct-taped to standards.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jabberwonky wrote: You'd be surprised at the advantage of being the crazy one in a brawl can be...
I've stopped fights before they ever started by busting out my best evil/insane act. Considering it's a combination of a steriotypical mad scientist, Cicero (from Skyrim), Joker, Psymon (from SSX Tricky), Krieg (from Borderlands 2), and some others I can't think of off the top of my head...

Yeah. It's a doozy. I'm rather proud of it. I can even channel the crazy well enough that it shows up in my eyes. :twisted:
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

GlytchMeister wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote: You'd be surprised at the advantage of being the crazy one in a brawl can be...
I've stopped fights before they ever started by busting out my best evil/insane act. Considering it's a combination of a steriotypical mad scientist, Cicero (from Skyrim), Joker, Psymon (from SSX Tricky), Krieg (from Borderlands 2), and some others I can't think of off the top of my head...

Yeah. It's a doozy. I'm rather proud of it. I can even channel the crazy well enough that it shows up in my eyes. :twisted:
I can do a very good Heath Leger Joker impression. Complete with the tongue and lip twitch thing. Generally do something like a cross between that and Hannibal when I'm trying to intimidate someone.

"Oh look, someone's feeling their wheaties. You've got a stainless steel piece of crap you call a knife, and a 9mm shoved in a place that would be just awkward if it were to go off where it is. Uh-uh-uh... I wouldn't touch that if I were you. As it is, you're quite safe. Pull a firearm, however, and I can legally rip your throat out and bugger you with it. And wouldn't that be fun? After all it wouldn't be too difficult since your pants are sagging so low. Clearly, someone's not pitching, now are they? So, you can wander on and continue your wretched excuse of 'life', or you can continue poking the lion and hope whatever powers that might be would give you a continue. Pick one, choose now."
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:I can even channel the crazy well enough that it shows up in my eyes. :twisted:
This is something that I think none of us here would have ever thought of you, GlytchMeister. :P
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I can even channel the crazy well enough that it shows up in my eyes. :twisted:
This is something that I think none of us here would have ever thought of you, GlytchMeister. :P
Me? Insane? That's... Madness. :twisted:
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:
Me? Insane? That's... Madness. :twisted:
... by definition, yes it is....
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.