Ubuntu Studio 16.04

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: Ubuntu Studio 16.04

Post by TazManiac »

Oops, Dave is right, by an order of Magnitude- Its 384 MEG of RAM, still not in the modern Gigabytes (which was my original point...)

I have this Laptop, w/ its single USB3 port, but I've not ever tried to clock it's throughput to see if it's fully functional.

See?, now you've gone and done it FPF...
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

So, I've discovered that there is a low-latency kernel that works with Mint 17 and 18. Pretty interesting.

Finally got OBS to update. Really interesting, actually. The only problem is that the screen capture won't work with full-screen applications. In the Windows version, this is being replaced by 'game record' mode, that the linux version doesn't have yet. in the meantime, if you plan on recording a full-screen application, you'll need to do full screen capture rather than window capture. However, the inclusion of hotkeys for starting/stopping recording and separate hotkeys for starting/stopping streaming really put OBS out on top of screencasting software in my opinion.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

For the last couple of weeks, Ubuntu Studio has been letting me know that there is a new version out, and is asking if I want to upgrade...

But I thought the best method was to reinstall from scratch? Will an upgrade also work? Will it try to do a default kind of installation, or will it recognize the fact that I have separate partitions for /boot, / (the root partition), /home, and yet a different one where I keep my data?

Which of those partitions should I backup, just in case?

Where will I find the settings for the XFCE panels, so I don't have to reconstruct them from scratch? (I have 10 different panels, of different size and shape, fulfilling various functions for me, and I'd love to just be able to save a settings file somewhere, and copy it back into place, once the update is done... Is that even possible?)

I'm sure I'll come up with even more questions, later on...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:For the last couple of weeks, Ubuntu Studio has been letting me know that there is a new version out, and is asking if I want to upgrade...

But I thought the best method was to reinstall from scratch? Will an upgrade also work? Will it try to do a default kind of installation, or will it recognize the fact that I have separate partitions for /boot, / (the root partition), /home, and yet a different one where I keep my data?

Which of those partitions should I backup, just in case?

Where will I find the settings for the XFCE panels, so I don't have to reconstruct them from scratch? (I have 10 different panels, of different size and shape, fulfilling various functions for me, and I'd love to just be able to save a settings file somewhere, and copy it back into place, once the update is done... Is that even possible?)

I'm sure I'll come up with even more questions, later on...
Well, I can't say for Ubuntu specifically, but it's based on Debian, and I have almost always been able to upgrade Debian to a new release "in place" without much difficulty. It's not a reinstall of the whole system... just an upgrade to each of the many software packages.

An upgrade of Debian doesn't reformat the disk or change your partition layouts, and it's quite good about updates to configuration files. If you have edited a config file it will ask you if you want to keep the old version or replace with the new (and it always preserved the version you didn't choose so you can examine the two and make any adjustments you need).

You should certainly back up your entire home directory, and most of /etc. I think the Xfce files are under .config/xfce4

I never had much luck doing upgrades of RedHat without a complete reinstall, but the Debian developers are quite serious about supporting incremental upgrades in a graceful fashion.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

And i believe Ubuntu's attitude is more of the same, as it were.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I thought it might be, but you always hear of horror stories... not necessarily the horror stories themselves, just that they exist...

(You know, like the one about your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, who had trouble upgrading...)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I've never had trouble upgrading anything in place (including Windows) unless i did something outstandingly stupid.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

lake_wrangler wrote:I thought it might be, but you always hear of horror stories... not necessarily the horror stories themselves, just that they exist...

(You know, like the one about your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate, who had trouble upgrading...)
So... Pretty much the person's cousin's former roommate?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I thought it might be, but you always hear of horror stories... not necessarily the horror stories themselves, just that they exist...

So... Pretty much the person's cousin's former roommate?
Not necessarily: you uncle (father's brother), could have nephews on his wife's side, that are therefore not nephews to your father, nor cousins to you. That nephew to your uncle by marriage, would definitely have cousins that have no direct relation to you (unless the population basin is really, really small... :roll: )

Nevertheless, I'm surprised no one caught the reference...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

What, the Spaceballs reference?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Alkarii wrote:What, the Spaceballs reference?
Maybe I should have said "no one made mention of the reference"... since one can notice without mentioning...

And now I notice that you, who obviously knew where that was from, were toying with me, and I played it straight, without ever catching on... :roll:
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Lake Wrangler, in your case, where you’ve (wisely) set up the OS w/ seperate OS and /Home partitions I'd say your'e home folders are in little danger of being lost.

I'd need to look up where your Panel Settings are, I'll do a quick scan in a min, but It's a Plateau Update- a whole 'nother Long Term Release, so while I'd be very happy recommending you just do a Upgrade-in-place, what I've done is back up my browser bookmarks and wipe the OS partition, chosen 'Something Else' during install of the new version and specified what SDAx partitions the '/' & '/home' partitions (and 'swap' if need be...) are supposed to point to.

It's been pretty painless.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Ha, Google is still my f'wend-

XFCE
Index
» Desktop
» [Solved] Panel config files are where?

https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7671

Do the needful...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Interesting: Dave had recommended looking in .config/xfce4, which does contain a /panel folder. Said folder contains a whole bunch of items, all numerically named.

Now Taz' link says to look into .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-panel.xml

I do indeed find the XML file there. And when I open the file, what do I find? All the lines are referring to numerically named items... Coincidence? I think not... 8-)

I guess the safest would be to save everything under .config/xfce4, then...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You know? There aught to be a 'Panel Settings Export Util', shouldn't there?

https://wiki.xfce.org/design/profile-manager

Let me try it myself first... (Oh, crap- I'm currently logged into Win10. It'll have to wait, but check it out.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

btw- This is a great resource (which I'll admit I haven't been to in a long time...)

http://www.psychocats.net/

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(update: we started kinda talking about upgrading HERE as far as taking Long Term Support release versions from say 14.04 to 16.04 or to the latest [presumably] 18.04...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:(update: we started kinda talking about upgrading HERE as far as taking Long Term Support release versions from say 14.04 to 16.04 or to the latest [presumably] 18.04...)
Or, more precisely, on this post of the previously cited page...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

OK, So- it's now 2018 and the next Long Term Support version 18.04 is scheduled to come out of Beta by Apr 26th.

I'm holding this thread @ 16.04 & starting another related to Upgrading and/or Clean Installing to or with 18.04 here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3518
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Well, I finally went ahead and tried upgrading to Ubuntu Studio 16.04, via the upgrade option it always prompted whenever I started the system. I was having some problems with some software that was outdated and I didn't want to go download them directly, but wanted to go with the distro's repositories, to keep all dependencies done right. There were some other reasons, but I won't go into that, right now.

Still, the upgrade took over a day, mostly because on two or three occasions it waited for me to answer a prompt...

Now that it's all done, and I rebooted the computer, I can't seem to get Linux started. I have not taken the time to look into it, as I do have a few other things to do, but that is definitely annoying. If I can't get it working, I'll just have to download the ISO and install from scratch. My documents are safely stored on a different partition, so they should be safe.

Bummer.

At least, it left the Windows 7 partition alone, so I can still go online and stuff.

In completely different news, I just placed an order for a refurbished Dell Latitude 5285 2-in-1 laptop/tablet from Bestbuy. From reading the reviews, it's very much like a clone of a MS Surface Pro 4, though better in a few aspects. This particular one has an i5 7300U dual core processor, 12.3 in screen, native resolution 1920 X 1280, for an aspect ratio of 3:2 (I rather like that...), 256 GB SSD, 1 USB 3.0 port, 2 USB-C ports, and so on. I'll have to purchase the keyboard and stylus directly from Dell, but that's OK: this way, I get to buy a Canadian Multilingual keyboard, something that would have been lacking on other refurbished models I was looking at. This will replace my ailing Acer Travelmate 2420 (a laptop so old, it came pre-loaded with Win XP...), which was starting to have trouble connecting to WI-Fi half the time, and was atrociously slow to work with...

I look forward to using my new tablet, and installing some flavour of Linux on it. (Yes, I'll keep Windows 10 on the side, just because that's the only computer of mine that will ever have it, so since it is pre-loaded, I will keep it... any other computer I build will dual-boot Linux and Win7...)

This laptop/tablet will be particularly useful when I travel by bicycle, to work on photos, and to update my online journal, while not taking up much space (or weight) in my luggage. Other than that, I will probably use it to read books while traveling by car (once at rest, of course... certainly not while driving), and use it to show my photos to people, on a bigger screen than a cell phone or a camera back display screen...