Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Photo Album

Post by AmriloJim »

Amarillo has had 31 movie houses since 1907, and I collect images and historical notes about them. One image is a street view of the Fair Theatre, which opened in 1921. At first I thought the framework sign on the roof would be neon, and I thought it might be interesting to 'recreate' what the animated stick figures might look like.

So, I fired up GIMP to add neon. To get a bigger canvas for work, I shot a 300dpi scan from a vanity press paperback copy of the photo. That's when got a very close look at the old photo and realized the sign was actually driven by incandescent bulbs ('sides, neon signs weren't invented 'til 1923).
Then I added a semi-opaque black layer to simulate dusk and bunches of little dots.

Voila...
http://image66amarillo.com/personal/192 ... i_1280.gif
I can't post the image itself here, as this board does not support animated GIFs. It's also a somewhat large file, so give it a few moments to load.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AmriloJim wrote:Amarillo has had 31 movie houses since 1907, and I collect images and historical notes about them. One image is a street view of the Fair Theatre, which opened in 1921. At first I thought the framework sign on the roof would be neon, and I thought it might be interesting to 'recreate' what the animated stick figures might look like.

So, I fired up GIMP to add neon. To get a bigger canvas for work, I shot a 300dpi scan from a vanity press paperback copy of the photo. That's when got a very close look at the old photo and realized the sign was actually driven by incandescent bulbs ('sides, neon signs weren't invented 'til 1923).
Then I added a semi-opaque black layer to simulate dusk and bunches of little dots.

Voila...
http://image66amarillo.com/personal/192 ... i_1280.gif
I can't post the image itself here, as this board does not support animated GIFs. It's also a somewhat large file, so give it a few moments to load.

Nice!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Ok. My neighborhood suffered flooding over the Memorial Day weekend.

Several weeks back, a lot was cleared of trees and a large mound of dirt appeared. At ground level around the mound, there was probably two or three feet of water during the recent flood. The house directly across the street had about 2ft of water.

I am really, reeeeeealy going to be interested if someone is actually building a home to move in to, or if some clueless speculator has financed this...
IMG_1182.jpg
IMG_1182.jpg (93.01 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...so what's the problem? As long as the mound is higher than the flood, it's a good idea, right?

...oh. Wait.

Unless they don't put in foundation support pylons... Because once that dirt gets saturated, that's all gonna turn into a mudpie, which won't support a house...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:...so what's the problem? As long as the mound is higher than the flood, it's a good idea, right?

...oh. Wait.

Unless they don't put in foundation support pylons... Because once that dirt gets saturated, that's all gonna turn into a mudpie, which won't support a house...
I'll check it out tomorrow during the morning Jasper walk. So far I've not noticed any sort of support. They brought in dump trucks full of fill dirt, pushed it around with a front-end loader and some bobcats and have appeared to call it good.

We've not had a decent rains since Memorial Day, the first one we get will tell the tale. If you note, the forms are built right up to the edge of the mound.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Matthew 7:26-27 wrote:26 And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house on the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
Some people just don't learn from others' mistakes... :roll:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

1.jpg
1.jpg (37.11 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (96.93 KiB) Viewed 9003 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Matthew 7:26-27 wrote:26 And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house on the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat on that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
The only architectural advise in the whole Bible- and my property is entirely sand... high desert sand...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
The only architectural advise in the whole Bible- and my property is entirely sand... high desert sand...
Well, there is another architectural piece of advice in the bible, but it's related to finances... don't start building unless you know you have the money to finish it, or you might end up with a house and no roof (lw paraphrase...)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Sgt. Howard wrote:The only architectural advise in the whole Bible- and my property is entirely sand... high desert sand...
As I recall, even if your property was solid rock, the type of abode you have would not make much use of it...

*Now tries to picture a double-wide trailer home with a custom-made foundation built on solid rock...*
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I'm traveling now and don't have means to post the photo of the forms built on the mound. The cement slab will be rebar reinforced, looks like standard spacing, I'd have put more in at least around the edges, and has a grid of trenches across the slab area. The trenches are maybe 16" wide, 20" deep, and will act as beams to support and stabilize the slab. I didn't see any holes that would form a post in the ground. They were going to pour this last Monday, I didn't see the result. It'll be interesting to see how they finish it out. My daughter told me that an inch of rain fell today at the house, if any washout around the edge of the slab occurred I'm certain it will be repaired by the time I get home.

But how will it finish up?

What a nail-biter!

Stay tooned!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Who knows... Maybe they had tried to purchase some land that was slightly higher up, and couldn't get a hold of it, and now they are hoping for another flood, and a repeat of what happened in 1876 in Swan Quarter, North Carolina, where a whole church, newly built and about to be dedicated, was pulled off its foundation, floated down the street, took a couple of turns along the way, and settled on the plot of land that had been denied to the congregation before...

Yes yes, it's true... Snopes even confirmed it...

You know, they laughed at Noah, too... ;)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Tonight by my front porch. The first time I have seen a live cicada before molting.

Image Image Image Image

Video here.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Live Bait
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Hansontoons wrote:I'm traveling now and don't have means to post the photo of the forms built on the mound. The cement slab will be rebar reinforced, looks like standard spacing, I'd have put more in at least around the edges, and has a grid of trenches across the slab area. The trenches are maybe 16" wide, 20" deep, and will act as beams to support and stabilize the slab. I didn't see any holes that would form a post in the ground. They were going to pour this last Monday, I didn't see the result. It'll be interesting to see how they finish it out. My daughter told me that an inch of rain fell today at the house, if any washout around the edge of the slab occurred I'm certain it will be repaired by the time I get home.

But how will it finish up?

What a nail-biter!

Stay tooned!
OK! Back from travels, Minnesota and Massachusetts are now behind me.

Here's the photo I described. And the note about washout? On my first walk with Jasper after returning, I did note an area of unsupported slab due to washout. There are several dump truck loads of dirt on that corner of the slab, will be interesting to see how they eventually reinforce the entire slab.
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg (140.88 KiB) Viewed 8933 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

This is going well... we've had several inches of rain over the last week or so.
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg (137.33 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
IMG_1250.jpg
IMG_1250.jpg (114.26 KiB) Viewed 8917 times
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Reminds me of a house that I once saw being built about twenty years ago in a ultra-fancy housing area. It was at the bottom of a ravine, with a creek. They diverted the creek by dumping a big pile of loose sand in its path, then started building the great big house on top of the sand. The sand wasn't even packed down or boxed in or anything, just dumped in a pile. They'd get a portion of the house built, the creek would wash out the sand on one side, the house would fall apart, the workers would dump more sand, they'd rebuild the part of the house, and the whole process would continue. I never got to see the end result, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were still trying to build that house today.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hansontoons wrote:This is going well... we've had several inches of rain over the last week or so.
Somebody called this shot... Can't remember who...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I'll just leave this here.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:I'll just leave this here.
Such carnage! Make it stop! I'll have nightmares for weeks! :o

:lol: :lol: :lol: