Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Just Old Al

Re: Photo Album

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:Thx for those; this is a good example of something I envision, in fiction, as a good choice to retrofit a futuristic motor(s) into...
Just make it a shagged-out but sound airframe...if there's anything I hate to see it's modifications to good restorations or pristine original examples. If yer gonna rebuild it around a Mr. Fusion and electric motors don't choose one that's museum quality....unless you have no choice. Then, all bets are off.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Just Old Al wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Thx for those; this is a good example of something I envision, in fiction, as a good choice to retrofit a futuristic motor(s) into...
Just make it a shagged-out but sound airframe...if there's anything I hate to see it's modifications to good restorations or pristine original examples. If yer gonna rebuild it around a Mr. Fusion and electric motors don't choose one that's museum quality....unless you have no choice. Then, all bets are off.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Hansontoons wrote:Took a road trip to Breckenridge TX last weekend for an airshow. Got my fix of radial and inline engine noise, sweet sounds to me. For pictures better than mine, search for Breckenridge Airshow on Facebook.
Nice photos.

I suspect that when the last C-47 lands for the very last time, that's a sign that the End Of The World is nigh.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
I know....just a pet peeve of mine. Sorry. :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Took a road trip to Breckenridge TX last weekend for an airshow. Got my fix of radial and inline engine noise, sweet sounds to me. For pictures better than mine, search for Breckenridge Airshow on Facebook.
Nice photos.

I suspect that when the last C-47 lands for the very last time, that's a sign that the End Of The World is nigh.
There was one at Breckenridge, could have had a ride for $50. And I'd suppose you are right about the C-47/DC-3, amazing airframe with so many still flying.

For an interesting C-47, There's the one that led the D-day invasion. "That's All Brother" was the first one over the channel for the airborne part. The aircraft was found at a conversion company facility- they take old airframes and update with new turboprop engines and modern avionics. The collector/historian recognized the historical significance of the aircraft, the Commemorative Air Force got involved, raised money to buy and restore the A/C to its wartime configuration. They hope to have the work completed by 2019 and fly it to Normandy for the 75th anniversary of June 6.

http://commemorativeairforce.org/root/a ... er-project
DSC_0694.jpg
DSC_0694.jpg (123.76 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
DSC_0697.jpg
DSC_0697.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

It's fall in some places, not in Conroe. Temperature was still up around 90 F when Jasper and I took our evening walk around 6PM.

She may have been enjoying the fan I set up for her after we returned home.
J Fan.JPG
J Fan.JPG (56.72 KiB) Viewed 27903 times
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Hansontoons wrote:It's fall in some places, not in Conroe. Temperature was still up around 90 F when Jasper and I took our evening walk around 6PM.

J Fan.JPG
Yea, well that's also Conroe, also known as Houston's Armpit.

Drive about an hour and a half east to College Station, and the temperature's been in the 70's all day.

Which, of course, goes to show... if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait around five minutes or so, it'll change.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:It's fall in some places, not in Conroe. Temperature was still up around 90 F when Jasper and I took our evening walk around 6PM.

J Fan.JPG

Drive about an hour and a half east to College Station, and the temperature's been in the 70's all day.

Which, of course, goes to show... if you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait around five minutes or so, it'll change.
Much better here the last couple of days. During hot day walks, Jasper has the option to turn for home after .75 mile or 1 mile. On the not hot days, we do a status check at the 1 mile point. If I ask "More walk?" and she marches on, we do two miles- march or die (I do carry a doggie water bottle. She is not spoiled, just well taken care of). If she turns for home, we go home along the shortcut across the golf course and along the creek until we reach my back yard.

And BTW, I always thought the B/CS area was armpit of Texas, or at least that's the impression I had while attending college skool there in the late '70's. Roasting hot in the summer, mostly miserably cold in the winter, with a few gratuitous beautiful weather weeks thrown in during spring and fall. :)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hansontoons wrote:Roasting hot in the summer, mostly miserably cold in the winter, with a few gratuitous beautiful weather weeks thrown in during spring and fall. :)
That sounds like Illinois.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:

J Fan.JPG

Much better here the last couple of days. During hot day walks, Jasper has the option to turn for home after .75 mile or 1 mile. On the not hot days, we do a status check at the 1 mile point. If I ask "More walk?" and she marches on, we do two miles- march or die (I do carry a doggie water bottle. She is not spoiled, just well taken care of). If she turns for home, we go home along the shortcut across the golf course and along the creek until we reach my back yard.

And BTW, I always thought the B/CS area was armpit of Texas, or at least that's the impression I had while attending college skool there in the late '70's. Roasting hot in the summer, mostly miserably cold in the winter, with a few gratuitous beautiful weather weeks thrown in during spring and fall. :)
When does it get cold in B/CS? Haven't seen a cold day there in YEARS.

Shut up Shneekey!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DinkyInky wrote:When does it get cold in B/CS? Haven't seen a cold day there in YEARS.

Shut up Shneekey!
Well, did have a couple of nasty ice storms in '77/'78 I think, or right around there... if I could find the pictures I took of ice on my '69 Ford LTD Station Wagon I would scan and post. They are buried under stuff upstairs after the flood earlier this year.

And then there was the winter day I went golfing at the TAMU campus course in '83 or '84, it was sleeting by the fourth hole. We gave up and went home to drink beer.

So years ago there was some cold stuff. Lately? Dunno. Conroe hasn't been hit with anything really cold in several years, reasonably close to B/CS latitude.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(For those of you unaware: B/CS is Bryan-College Station, Texas. Otherwise known as "Aggieland.")
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I think three or four years ago there was a couple inches of accumulation, and it tried to re-freeze the following evening, but that's the closest to bad winter weather I can recall.

Other than that, it generally doesn't get too cold here, fortunately. And we're generally far enough south that we're *mostly* outside the Tornado Alley. And far enough inland that it takes something like Harvey to have any real impact on us. Even then, we never needed to evacuate, we just had regional supply problems for a few days as most of the chains in the area distribute via Houston. Even delayed kiddo's school a day because the school couldn't get their cafeteria supplied on time.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Well, I haven't spent winter in B/CS but I've spent a couple winters in Livingston which is more or less due north of Houston about 60 miles. It would rain most of the day on most days for weeks at a time and temperatures mostly ran about 35 to 55 degrees. Which is about 2 degrees better than Seattle in the same time period, and when I retired we got in the motorhome to get *away* from Seattle's cold, perpetual-rain winters.

(So this year we're in Quartzsite AZ. Today was I think the first day in a week that the temperature didn't hit 90.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:(For those of you unaware: B/CS is Bryan-College Station, Texas. Otherwise known as "Aggieland.")
I think the majority of folk here of late would doff their cowboy hat at you.

Also, for those not aware(though I think it's a bit of a rarity), "Aggies" are a nickname for those in the vicinity of Texas A&M University(TAMU).

Kinda like if I said Boilermaker, or Fighting Irish, most folks would know I'm a Hoosier because of Purdue University and Notre Dame University.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

A scant 20 miles south of Amarillo is where you'll find one of seven state-funded teacher colleges created in 1910. Previously known as West Texas State Normal College, West Texas State Teachers College, West Texas State College, and West Texas State University; West Texas A&M University joined the Texas A&M University system in 1990.
WTAMU is unique among TAMUS schools in that other associated campuses are known as "TAMU at (city)," the system bowed to local sentiment and allowed the school to retain its 80-year heritage as "West Texas."
However, we are Buffaloes and Aggies are from somewhere downstate.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AmriloJim wrote:A scant 20 miles south of Amarillo is where you'll find one of seven state-funded teacher colleges created in 1910. Previously known as West Texas State Normal College, West Texas State Teachers College, West Texas State College, and West Texas State University; West Texas A&M University joined the Texas A&M University system in 1990.
WTAMU is unique among TAMUS schools in that other associated campuses are known as "TAMU at (city)," the system bowed to local sentiment and allowed the school to retain its 80-year heritage as "West Texas."
However, we are Buffaloes and Aggies are from somewhere downstate.
Neato. I only know about Aggies from the constant heckling we got by them attending PNC to "round out their engineering degree", though we gave as good as we got, and I now have a mini arsenal of Aggie jokes, and from my association with the 'Pickled Piper of Ham-Handed', Shneekey.

--Safyr Drathmir
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Ok, Wings Over Houston 2017 is behind us, so here are some shots from the show. First up, still life.
DSC_0912.jpg
DSC_0912.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 27754 times
DSC_0929.jpg
DSC_0929.jpg (94.18 KiB) Viewed 27754 times
DSC_0933.jpg
DSC_0933.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 27754 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Next up, jets doing their thing.
DSC_2066.jpg
DSC_2066.jpg (25.47 KiB) Viewed 27754 times