Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: Photo Album

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Good sausage? Permissible cheese? Pest sauce?

Either a sense of humour, or a lousy translator... Who will dare try to find out?
Well, grasshoppers are often considered pests, and the toasted grasshoppers I had at a bar in Vientiane were quite tasty. About halfway between Fritos and grilled shrimp, flavor-wise.

Not sure how you would make them into a sauce, though. Blend them with melted permissible cheese, I suppose.
I once ate caterpillar in peanut butter sauce, at my church's missions dinner (we have church members from all over, so all those who participated brought food from their country of origin.) It was good, but I wasn't too keen on the peanut butter sauce, actually...
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:I once ate caterpillar in peanut butter sauce, at my church's missions dinner (we have church members from all over, so all those who participated brought food from their country of origin.) It was good, but I wasn't too keen on the peanut butter sauce, actually...
You can't get no sate's faction, I suppose?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Today's lunch companion wasn't all that talkative. Perhaps Euryale would have been able to coax more conversation out of him.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Kits! Or as Georg and Yortuk Festrunk would say, "Foxes"!

They are living in a washout hole along the side of a creek that was concreted years back. These shots are from my back yard.
DSC_0027.jpg
DSC_0027.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0032.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 11256 times
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Catawampus wrote:Today's lunch companion wasn't all that talkative. Perhaps Euryale would have been able to coax more conversation out of him.
Black ratsnake?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Kits in better light. There are actually four of them, #4 was hanging out a little further down the way and out of decent range.
DSC_0053.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg (123.34 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
DSC_0059.jpg
DSC_0059.jpg (111.36 KiB) Viewed 11237 times
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Seen at Kroger, 7 May 2017

Patiently waiting:

I don't THINK it's bigger on the inside...

A case of wine:

Convenience:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

"Impersonating an Egyptian". How times have changed... these days it's being an Egyptian which seems to get some people's nickers in a twist.

(Yes, I know, in the context of that poster "Egyptian" meant Romany (gypsy)).
AnotherFairportfan

Theft of goods to the value of two shillings or more, or bread to the value of one shilling, was a hanging offense. Of course, so was picking pockets.

And one of the most popular hunting grounds for pickpockets and cutpurses was the crowds watching the hangings on Tyburn Hill.

Hangings for things like picking pockets.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

First thing i'm posting from the granddaughters' school's Field Day this morning:

Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

The Amish: shunning buttons, military service, and proper pluralisation since the 1690's.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Well, the Amish quit school after eighth grade. Bet their German is just about as elegant. :mrgreen:

I know an Amish place that always has a sign out front: Bake Goods. Fine advice, but not what they meant.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You know what?, I just watched all 14 episodes of 'Firefly' this week. (yes, I'm playing catch-up)...

Truth is, while I like most of the actors, most all the production, & the seemingly color-blind casting; it's a Western in Outer Space. Gah....
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Took a road trip to Breckenridge TX last weekend for an airshow. Got my fix of radial and inline engine noise, sweet sounds to me. For pictures better than mine, search for Breckenridge Airshow on Facebook.
Stinson Vultee.jpg
Stinson Vultee.jpg (130.88 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Spitfire.jpg
Spitfire.jpg (134.38 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Mustang.jpg
Mustang.jpg (128.25 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

A few more...
Corsair.jpg
Corsair.jpg (125.43 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
B-25 Mitchell.jpg
B-25 Mitchell.jpg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Tigercat.jpg
Tigercat.jpg (137.79 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Cool, cool, lots of wonderful airframes., (when he wakes up later, I'll show these pictures to the friend who's Internet account I'm borrowing & is currently napping three feet away: "I'm watching Rumpole...") only to get to the Tigercat picture and I whooped it up too much and woke the bastard up. :?

Grumman F7F Tigercat;

My favorite propeller airplane (the Blackbird SR-71 has a slight edge and is Jet propelled). The TigerCat almost made it into WWII, did a little bit of service in the Korean Conflict and is the main reason I hope to Make it out to the Reno Air Show before I kick the bucket...

It's either one of these or something w/ a twin-boom out the back end...

PS-
The contract for the prototype XF7F-1 was signed on 30 June 1941. Grumman's aim was to produce a fighter that outperformed and outgunned all existing fighter aircraft, and that had an auxiliary ground attack capability.[2] Armament was heavy: four 20 mm cannons and four 0.50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns, as well as underwing and under-fuselage hardpoints for bombs and torpedoes. Performance met expectations too; the F7F Tigercat was one of the highest performance piston-engined fighters, with a top speed well in excess of the US Navy's single-engined aircraft—71 mph faster than a Grumman F6F Hellcat at sea level.[3] CAPT Fred M. Trapnell, one of the Navy's premier test pilots, opined that: "It's the best damn fighter I've ever flown."[4] The Grumman F7F was originally named the "Tomcat" but this name was rejected as it was considered too suggestive, at the time.[5] The name would much later be used for the Grumman F-14.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Original Size Picture...)

Designed from the start to have a small front cross section...
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Tigercat at rest. The two radials on this bird do make a noise during take-off.
DSC00678.JPG
DSC00678.JPG (230.86 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
DSC_0167.jpg
DSC_0167.jpg (134.69 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
DSC_0160.jpg
DSC_0160.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 11014 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Thx for those; this is a good example of something I envision, in fiction, as a good choice to retrofit a futuristic motor(s) into...