Photo Album

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: Photo Album

Post by Dave »

Excellent! Excellent! :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That looks amazingly like Church Sign Generator output...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

I don't think so, AFF.

1) CSG output is usually dead square to the horizon; this one's tilted slightly.
2) CSG characters are a typeface; note the variance between the Ts in "kitten".
AnotherFairportfan

AmriloJim wrote:I don't think so, AFF.

1) CSG output is usually dead square to the horizon; this one's tilted slightly.
2) CSG characters are a typeface; note the variance between the Ts in "kitten".
Didn't actually say it WAS - just that it looked like it.

I noticed the things you mentioned, and also that it doesn't have the CSG URL on it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote:Image
One for Dave - seen Saturday morning in Hudson, NH.
Their logo is laughing at you!
(Or is it laughing at its own pun?) :lol:
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Just Old Al wrote: One for Dave - seen Saturday morning in Hudson, NH.
Their logo is laughing at you!
(Or is it laughing at its own pun?) :lol:
Boy, i'm glad you saw it that way... sorry to go there, but to me it looks like a cat's butt up close...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:That looks amazingly like Church Sign Generator output...
Nope. If I'm lyin' 'm dyin'. That is the honest-to-gods truth. The only photo manipulation that got was cropping and reduction in size to hit the limits for the site.

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Just Old Al wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:That looks amazingly like Church Sign Generator output...
Nope. If I'm lyin' 'm dyin'. That is the honest-to-gods truth. The only photo manipulation that got was cropping and reduction in size to hit the limits for the site.

Al
Oh, i wasn't doubting - i meant it reminded me of some of the better CSG bits i've seen. However, as AmrilloJim points out, the letters aren't uniform, and, as i said, it doesn't have the URL on it.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Moons shots, one super, the next a day less super. Still not turning the right buttons to get a really good picture with the new lens. All it takes is a little time to work with it. When I have time! :?
Moon Nov. 14.jpg
Moon Nov. 14.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
Moon Nov. 15.jpg
Moon Nov. 15.jpg (78.48 KiB) Viewed 7935 times
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I was wondering who was going to take those photos and when they would get posted, what with last Sunday being the closest the moon has been to the earth in 70+ years, or somesuch...

I can't decide which photo I like best... I like the darker portion at the top of the second one, which happens to put the craters in contrast.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote:I was wondering who was going to take those photos and when they would get posted, what with last Sunday being the closest the moon has been to the earth in 70+ years, or somesuch...

I can't decide which photo I like best... I like the darker portion at the top of the second one, which happens to put the craters in contrast.
Nice! I agree about the second one.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Typeminer wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I was wondering who was going to take those photos and when they would get posted, what with last Sunday being the closest the moon has been to the earth in 70+ years, or somesuch...

Nice! I agree about the second one.
Both pics were fiddled with to bring out contrast and shading, thus the second being a little darker. Otherwise, the originals are identical in look.

My daughter and I built an 8" reflector telescope years back. It really brings the moon in. It's good enough to see Jupiter's banding (faintly), ring band on Saturn, and ice cap on Mars. Not bad for a kit and cardboard construction tube!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Great work, and thank you.

I was walking up and down the country road up here, taking my time, and just as I went to get the good optics out...

Clouds rolled in... I am sad...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

The smoke was too thick to really get a clear view of the moon, so this is the best I was able to get. On the plus side, the smoke has provided some colourful sunsets.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

I've had my Olympus SP-500UZ for ten years and this is the first time I've played with aperture, ISO and shutter.
f8, ISO400 @ 1/400:
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

TazManiac wrote:Great work, and thank you.

I was walking up and down the country road up here, taking my time, and just as I went to get the good optics out...

Clouds rolled in... I am sad...
That's usually my luck.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Catawampus wrote:The smoke was too thick to really get a clear view of the moon, so this is the best I was able to get. On the plus side, the smoke has provided some colourful sunsets.
I like the clouds around the moon, can almost hear the weirdwolves howling in the distance! And great color in the sunset.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Let's try this again... it worked fine in rehearsal (preview).

I've had my Olympus SP-500UZ for ten years and this is the first time I've played with aperture, ISO and shutter.
f8, ISO400 @ 1/400:
161114_a_640x480.jpg
161114_a_640x480.jpg (180.42 KiB) Viewed 7888 times
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

AmriloJim wrote:Let's try this again... it worked fine in rehearsal (preview).

f8, ISO400 @ 1/400:
161114_a_640x480.jpg
Yes! There it is!

Nice, good color. My pale shots (the pics are color, not b&w) were after the moon was well above the horizon, it had to clear the neighborhood trees before I could see it.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Hansontoons wrote:And great color in the sunset.
The camera didn't pick up the reds that well. I might try fiddling around with the settings, see if there's some sort of colour balance adjustment function. Or I'll accidentally activate the reactor scram function. There are some weird menus on that camera. . .