The Day the Music Died

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

The Day the Music Died

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Now we know who the promoter's gonna be when a helluva band goes on tour...

==========================

Alex Cooley was The Man on the Atlanta music scene beginning when, at age 28, when he was one of the organisers of the Atlanta International Pop Festival in 1969:
The Atlanta International Pop Festival, which Cooley helped produce, brought ’60s icons Janis Joplin, Led Zeppelin, the Staple Singers and others to the Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton in July 1969. Cooley also presented the Grateful Dead at a free concert in Piedmont Park at about the same time.

“We did it for the love of the music, we honestly did,” Cooley told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 1997 of the pop festival. “We made $6,000, and, believe it or not, we felt kind of guilty about making money on it.”
And he kept on being Atlanta's musical godfather right up until his death.

There better be a BIG write-up in Rolling Stone.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Re: The Day the Music Died

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Rolling Stone turned down the idea because he never terror bombed a large crowd
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Nice obit. Mighty daring, bringing music that grew out of the blues back to the South. 8-)

I was kinda looking for Lowell George in the Rock and Roll Heaven montage. Oh, Atlanta! Some of us remember who never been there.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

FP, you got me to thinking about Bill Graham, a SF Bay Area Love em/Hate em personality & and Music Promoter from last century...

He was riding back home in a helicopter and it hit some wires in the fog...

If you get a chance, read the wiki entry of his (lengthy) life's accomplishments- it wasn't all gravy but he did a lot with a lot of folks over the years, some of whom people will recognize.

I wonder who, these days, will do what Graham and Cooley did back then...
AnotherFairportfan

Oh god, yes. Bill Graham.

Director Alan Arkush worked as an usher at the Filmore East, and he's popped up in Hitchcock type cameos in his films wearing his Filmore East usher's shirt.

He directed a film called Get Crazy!, about a New Year concert at a venue obviously inspired by the Filmore, starring Malcolm McDowell as superstar rocker Reggie Wanker and featuring Lou Reed as a Dylan-style folk-rocker.

Unfortunately, you can't get a copy these days, and there will never be an official DVD release.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

* album * ahem *

Someone i know has a home-made DVD of "Get Crazy!" and could make copies and mail them...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I watched it again this past November on Xfinity's on demand service. For free...

Electric Larry...that is all...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

Jabberwonky wrote:I watched it again this past November on Xfinity's on demand service. For free...

Electric Larry...that is all...
poo

"It's ... ticking."

"It's traditional."

(Arkush also directed a video for Bette Midler's "Beast of Burden" - with Jagger and with a quick cameo by Stacy Nelkin, who played the kid sister.)
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Sad week for music... Cooley, Lemmy, and now Ziggy...
bowieRIP.jpg
bowieRIP.jpg (81.17 KiB) Viewed 14158 times
(Aside to Mike... I merged our posts on my board.)
AnotherFairportfan

Yeah.
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Bowie's final album was released just two days ago. The video for the title track, ★ (pronounced Blackstar) is a fitting epitaph to his musical (and visual) virtuosity. (Video runs 9:59)
AnotherFairportfan

Released on his birthday.

Oddball factoid: Bowie may have played on a Kinks album before he was "David Bowie" - he did session work on sax in the kate Sixties as "David Jones" (his real name) and there's a credit for that name on sax on at least one of the studio tracks on the Kinks' "Everybody's in Show-Biz".
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Bowie also retained his stage name in deference to another Brit... Davy Jones of The Monkees.
Julie

Post by Julie »

My heart is hurting for this one. As much as I learned to love his music as I grew up, my first memory of the man was from film. :( RIP Goblin King!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:My heart is hurting for this one. As much as I learned to love his music as I grew up, my first memory of the man was from film. :( RIP Goblin King!
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I usually mark the passing of even favored musical and acting talents with just a modicum of sadness. But I have really been feeling down over Mr. Bowie's passing. He's one of the ones I'll really miss.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
AnotherFairportfan

I don't even want to think how i'm going to feel if Ray Davies or any of Fairport Convention die before me...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Mine will be when Sir Paul passes.

Goodbye Ziggy Stardust.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Mine will be when Sir Paul passes.

Goodbye Ziggy Stardust.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I don't even wanna think about that.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Jabberwonky wrote:I usually mark the passing of even favored musical and acting talents with just a modicum of sadness. But I have really been feeling down over Mr. Bowie's passing. He's one of the ones I'll really miss.
Take comfort in that David knew the end was nigh, managed to be productive to the very end (and happy, judging by his birthday photo shoot) and shuffled off this mortal coil on his own terms. To that end i echo, "Well played, sirrah, well played."