Bad weather

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Bad weather

Post by Dave »

Hoping that the Texas contingent of the forumites (and others in the Midwest) are all safe and sound, after the severe storms that have been passing through that part of the country during the last few days. A white Christmas is nice... a raining-sideways-at-150-MPH-while-the-roof-comes-off Christmas, not so much nice.
Hansontoons

Re: Bad weather

Post by Hansontoons »

Just gusty and wet in Houston area so far, weatherman promised heavier stuff this afternoon. Miss Julie had to duck and cover last night, bad weather was close to her. Opus the Poet and Shadowinthelight are also in the DFW area, hoping they are in good shape!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm sending positive thoughts through the ether...
10343511_10156229776310391_1082631784450315251_n.jpg
10343511_10156229776310391_1082631784450315251_n.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 10162 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

All I have to contend with here in remote Northern California is Nightimes below freezing
and while we had a White Christmas Eve, it was all gone by the 25th. (Except for the hills and mountain tops...)

Its been raining quite a bit up here, but that just pushed back out-of-doors chores until this week.

(The rest of you guys may not realize this but the bulk of the California Retail Clothing Market only sells what the rest of you folks consider as Winter Wear, to folks out here who plan on going Skiing. It ain't durable, it's 'pretty'...)

Stay Safe, Stay Warm.

When people mention to you "May You Live in Interesting Times" it aint always a request for blessing...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I've never seen a December this warm. Ever. I think I had sixty-degree weather this month, and I've even had a few thunderstorms that resembled summer and spring weather.

It's nuts.

Usually, by this time, Illinois is totally dead with winter... But the worms aren't even hibernating yet, and some of the birds that usually leave the suburbs to hang out in the forests or to go south haven't left yet. I haven't been near the lake lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if the frogs are still awake.

I recall seeing the pelican migration very early this year. Maybe that was a sign that the winter was going to be very wonky.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:I've never seen a December this warm. Ever. I think I had sixty-degree weather this month, and I've even had a few thunderstorms that resembled summer and spring weather.

It's nuts.

Usually, by this time, Illinois is totally dead with winter... But the worms aren't even hibernating yet, and some of the birds that usually leave the suburbs to hang out in the forests or to go south haven't left yet. I haven't been near the lake lately, but I wouldn't be surprised if the frogs are still awake.

I recall seeing the pelican migration very early this year. Maybe that was a sign that the winter was going to be very wonky.
Yeah, and it sucks. I want snow, glorious snow. I swear if I see one more floozy in crap too loosy, I'm gonna snap. I want to wear my long coats!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Greetings from the center of the red area on Jabberwonky's map.

I live in the middle of downtown. I can look out of my apartment window and see bare asphalt, where the gale-force winds of last night swept away the snow. There have been reports of more than a foot in other parts of town; area average is about 8".

Currently 25F with 25mph gusts creating a WCI of 12F. More snow on the way.

I'm fortunate... a good number of my neighbors experienced power and cable outage this morning and afternoon. Most areas are now back in service.

Thank you for the warm thoughts.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I've never seen a December this warm. Ever. I think I had sixty-degree weather this month, and I've even had a few thunderstorms that resembled summer and spring weather.

It's nuts.

Yeah, and it sucks. I want snow, glorious snow. I swear if I see one more floozy in crap too loosy, I'm gonna snap. I want to wear my long coats!
I'm loving this warm weather. These bones aren't built for winter - AS and Arthritis get worse the colder I get. I'm planning on moving south as soon as I can, for that and many other reasons.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

This morning around 11 AM EST, it was 65 F at my dad's place in the Allegheny Mountains in southwestern Pennsylvania. It's generally one of the coldest regions in the state, ski resort and coalmine country. It was warm and wet all weekend. I expect there were record high temperatures all across the state in the past few days.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

This kind of weather is common for Arkansas this time of the year. At least half the time it's like this.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We have a winter storm warning coming on up here for tomorrow afternoon, into Tuesday. 6-10" of snow.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I just spent Christmas in a suburb of Philadelphia, where the news said that 70 F was the warmest Christmas day ever...

And when I left Montréal, to come down, it was also quite warm here.

Now that I'm back, I see that there was some snow while I was gone... but barely... From what I read elsewhere, it started today.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

So far, it's been a weather fizzle for my area. I carried an umbrella into the theater in case the sky was dumping rain after Star Wars. My plan worked, it did not rain. There is a second wave out there,so still a chance to have some sort of storm before it's all past. I do not envy the folks north of me, it looks bad right now.

And I'll not say anything about the movie!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:So far, it's been a weather fizzle for my area. I carried an umbrella into the theater in case the sky was dumping rain after Star Wars. My plan worked, it did not rain. There is a second wave out there,so still a chance to have some sort of storm before it's all past. I do not envy the folks north of me, it looks bad right now.
Glad it hasn't been too bad where you are, Hansontoons, and that your use of the "Don't throw the shipping boxes away" trick worked out!

Weather here has been as Tazmaniac reported (I'm only 30 miles or so south of Taz's location). Moderate rain the past few days, a light frost last night, maybe some showers in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, and then a pretty nice week ahead.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the north part of Texas as well. Between the weather conditions, the flat terrain, and the cattle ranches, I foresee far too many servings of tournedos of beef on the menu in the near future. :(
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I'm further south than most of that, so all I got was a cold drenching. You could tell when the front went through, though. Went from almost 80F down to 50F in about an hour. Now down in the upper 30's.

I had been enjoying the mild winter. *mutter mutter*.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm under flash flood warning until 5:30 AM CST. I'd forgotten all about it, and I got the first notification about it about ten hours ago.

Good thing I live on top of a hill and don't have to go anywhere. Not that I would have, with this damn sinus infection that's been going around.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:Weather here has been as Tazmaniac reported (I'm only 30 miles or so south of Taz's location). Moderate rain the past few days, a light frost last night, maybe some showers in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, and then a pretty nice week ahead.
Dave, add another 170 miles to my usual 30; I've been waaaay up north for the Holidays- 'tween Ft. Bragg & Redding.
Inland temps have been bouncing under freezing overnight, the last month.

Thanksgiving we got down to 19F. This in non-Sierra California btw.

Man, I can hardly wait to regain the balmy Bay Area w/ it's moderating heat-sink of coastal waters. (Cooled 'deliciously' by an Alaskan current year round. Any kid around San Fran who swam in the Ocean qualifies for Polar Bear Cub status...)
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:So far, it's been a weather fizzle for my area. I carried an umbrella into the theater in case the sky was dumping rain after Star Wars. My plan worked, it did not rain. There is a second wave out there,so still a chance to have some sort of storm before it's all past. I do not envy the folks north of me, it looks bad right now.
Glad it hasn't been too bad where you are, Hansontoons, and that your use of the "Don't throw the shipping boxes away" trick worked out!

Weather here has been as Tazmaniac reported (I'm only 30 miles or so south of Taz's location). Moderate rain the past few days, a light frost last night, maybe some showers in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, and then a pretty nice week ahead.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about the north part of Texas as well. Between the weather conditions, the flat terrain, and the cattle ranches, I foresee far too many servings of tournedos of beef on the menu in the near future. :(
Dave, Dave, Dave. Unless you offer up a package or two of ground beef to the Pun Jar, cutting up like that could get you filleted, roasted, or at least ribbed until your flanks hurt from laughing! :D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I want snow. This Winter's been too mild...almost hot.

Just a short deep freeze, just enough to seriously disturb the miniature bloodsuckers breeding cycles(fleas and mosquitoes).

Oh, and just a light dusting...maybe three or four feet of snow...just enough for the kiddos to throw snowballs or make snowninjas...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I'm a bit worried about the mild weather we've been having here. It's been unseasonably warm, nearly 80°F as highs. Everything is flowering, the bees are buzzing, the critters are frolicking, and so on. Now if we suddenly go to normal weather, it's going to catch all of the plants and animals in the wrong part of their seasonal cycles. They're all thinking "Springtime", and aren't ready for Winter.