A Non-Spoiler review on how the new Star Wars feels....

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

A Non-Spoiler review on how the new Star Wars feels....

Post by Jabberwonky »

Jameson Deschain, a wonderfully wacky Facebook friend posted this yesterday. I liked it so much I feel like I should share it...

"Close your eyes and think back to that last part of your childhood where you were happy, truly happy. That last pure time of your life before you realized true evil actually exists in this world, before you had expectations placed upon you, before life's burdens were laid upon your shoulders, back when you just existed in a pure state of happiness and simply *being*. And during that unfettered part of your life you experience something that makes the future burst with unlimited magical potential and it gives you the pure unswerving faith that ANYTHING is possible and by damn, you're going to do it!
Then stack thirty or forty or fifty years onto your life with enough shit raining down on your head in those years to bury that spark. The intervening years and the process of 'becoming an adult' convinces you that feeling undiluted optimism on that level was a lie and impossible and you either imagined it or more commonly you just simply forget it ever existed. Your reality is this, right now. This living hell of stress and shit that is the bare bones reality of living life as an adult. That's all there is. This, right here.
And then you hear a series of musical notes and something about the quality of the recording or the visuals that follow or the color palette of the film or the story or the people or the everything you can't describe... and you find yourself crying and you don't know WHY because it's just yellow text on a black starfield and you don't cry, dammit. Oh gods why can't you stop crying...
And you walk out of that theatre and you know what that moment feels like again and fuck the world because you WILL succeed at anything you choose! There is once again magic in the world and there's a reason to keep going beyond simply because you must.
The movie was perfect. That movie restored something I never even knew I'd lost because the grown up me completely forgot it ever existed in the first place. I don't give two shits about why you think the plot sucked or why characters sucked or any of that petty kind of shit. It gave me back that memory of joy and hope for the future and that's something you can't take away from me. Come at me, nerds. I'll defend that spark to the bitter end.
And THAT is why I won't shut the fuck up about Star Wars. Deal with it."
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
lake_wrangler

Re: A Non-Spoiler review on how the new Star Wars feels....

Post by lake_wrangler »

Inspiring. I'm touched.
(Incidentally, I may or may not have a chance to see it, over the holidays...)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:Inspiring. I'm touched.
(Incidentally, I may or may not have a chance to see it, over the holidays...)
Kate and i figure she's going to see it on Christmas Eve afternoon.

(Well, i'm going to watch it, too - but i already saw it last Thursday.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'ma try and get out to see it sometime before Monday...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Keep your eyes peeled for the hoversled marked with a rosebud. :twisted:
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:Keep your eyes peeled for the hoversled marked with a rosebud. :twisted:

You have to ride it with the rose printed underwear... 'Rose Butt..."
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Dave wrote:Keep your eyes peeled for the hoversled marked with a rosebud. :twisted:

You have to ride it with the rose printed underwear... 'Rose Butt..."
I prefer this one:
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

I'll probably wait until after the new year to take it in so I don't have to deal with the crowds as much.

But... thank you. I was worried this might end up another Prequel Trilogy. This gives me confidence that a good movie CAN actually come out. Without needing Joss Whedon to bludgeon the bad out.

My only wish this christmas... Michael Bay finds himself permanently out of work in the movie industry and has to go flip burgers. There is no punishment severe enough for what he did to my childhood, so I shall simply leave that up to karma.

After all, you know what they say. Karma's not just a b*ch, she's a slut too. Because sooner or later... everyone gets some.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Let us hope he joins Uwe Boll...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

This one's true. All of it. It felt - right.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:But... thank you. I was worried this might end up another Prequel Trilogy.
Definitely not... at least, not so far and I didn't see any sign that it was headed in that direction.

My wife and I got to see it on opening day, thanks to my employer (a firm known for perking its nerds) and we both walked away quite happy.

(I did leave the film with my brain saying "Checklist completed, conformal mapping established" but that didn't subtract from my enjoyment even slightly)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

It definitely has more of the feel of Episodes IV through VI.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Catawampus wrote:It definitely has more of the feel of Episodes IV through VI.
Well, yeah, given how many little drops and homages they had to the original trilogy, they'd better.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

For what it's worth, I very much enjoyed it. :) It's actually the first 3D movie I've seen that hasn't made me sick...and the movie was fun on top of that! :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

The only thing that would have made it better would have been if they had left in the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning... it is part of my memory of the first time I saw Star Wars. At least the fragment of memory that still exists!

As for the film, it was definitely enjoyable though I left the theater feeling that I had been somewhere similar a long time ago in a different theater far, far away...
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Having just come back from this movie, I will merely say this:

Do you remember when the original Star Wars came out? Do you remember the feel you had when you left the theater after seeing a young moisture farmer and hotshot speedster discover his destiny?

You'll feel it again after leaving the theater with this one as well. The force is strong with this one.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I think I made the remark to Miss Julie on Bookface - It's like watching Star Wars all over again. In the best way possible.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I've missed out on most of the filmz I've on 'the list' like the final Mockingjay (stuff you want to catch on the Big Screen). Star Wars is on that list.

I've spent the Holidays waaay up a curvy country road, far from civilization, and the closest Silver Screen is already got the Hateful Eight as the prime film as I type this.

(If the Norwegian Roof Rats hadn't nibbled the Trooper's wires I'd a drove myself by now...)

I'm thinking to try this Tuesday to plunk myself down for a matinée...
Julie

Post by Julie »

TazManiac wrote:I've missed out on most of the filmz I've on 'the list' like the final Mockingjay (stuff you want to catch on the Big Screen). Star Wars is on that list.

I've spent the Holidays waaay up a curvy country road, far from civilization, and the closest Silver Screen is already got the Hateful Eight as the prime film as I type this.

(If the Norwegian Roof Rats hadn't nibbled the Trooper's wires I'd a drove myself by now...)

I'm thinking to try this Tuesday to plunk myself down for a matinée...
I saw the final Mockingjay movie last week. :) It was also pretty enjoyable. :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Whirley pukey. Saw it in XD, got my son the BB-8 goggles...took me hours for my brain to register reality properly again. The only one more painful was Avatar...

My son got the same experience I did as a child seeing the first one in theatres, only in full immersion.

Despite my body violently revolting the 3d, if my son wanted to go back, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

--Safyr Drathmir