Good-night, sweet Prince...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Good-night, sweet Prince...

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

The Prince wasn't two years old, yet. He never will be.

We don't know what happened.

Kate came home for lunch and found him lying dead in the yard.

Steve has buried him; we're going to have to tell the girls.

He was a Very Large, Very Silly and Very Sweet cat

Gonna miss him.

As i've said before:

They give you so much, and they ask so little in return - just a piece of your soul.

He was a teeny-tiny thing when Kate's mother found him alone and starving in the bushes. She took him in, got him his shots and fed him up some.

She loved him, but he was just too active for her, so, when we went down for her birthday in July, we brought him home with us.

I should have remembered the Dummy - who was just as small or smaller as a kitten when Susan and i got him, but grew to twenty pounds.

But the Dummy made it to almost twenty years.

As i did when the little foundling kitten we named Scrap died only a few months after she came to live with us, i console myself (somewhat - as much as you can) with the thought that he spent his time among people who loved him in a comfortable home with plenty of good food - instead of starving to death when he was almost too small to eat solid food.

Gonna miss the little nuisance.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Good-night, sweet Prince...

Post by Dave »

Sorry for your loss, AFF. You know it always comes, and it almost always comes too soon.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:Sorry for your loss, AFF. You know it always comes, and it almost always comes too soon.
Not even eighteen months...

There's no "almost" about it.

Sometimes it comes too late, and you have to help...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

*stands by, silently offering support simply by being present, as words don't quite cover what I want to say*
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Losing a pet hurts. Losing one that young is even worse.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

My condolences, to you and yours.

Have you told your girls, yet? How old are they again? (How do you think they will take it/how have they taken it?)

My youngest was three or four when we had to put down our cat (which we had had for 10 or 12 years, by then), after she had been in a bad fight outside, and her one eye had been gouged out, among other damage. We could not afford all the operations that would have been necessary, so it was decided euthanasia was the "best" solution.

A year later, my daughter would still say, if walking by the vet's office, "That's where Mamma Katie died..."
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I know the feeling of loosing a cat in both of those ways. Last year, in the middle of May, my dad had let out one of our cats, who we had since she was a kitten. It was a Monday. I couldn't find her until Saturday evening, and I could tell she'd been dead a while. She was just over a year old.

Then a year later, I had to take my sister's cat to be euthanized. She was in terrible health, and had difficulty eating. What made it worse was that she was being very affectionate on the way over to the vet.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

The black kitten that i mentioned, Scrap, might have been a year old - she'd lived with us for a while, and then something went wrong - her hindquarters became paralysed - she rolled down the townhouse steps and lay at the bottom meowing.

Luckily i was at my computer in the living room. I knew right then that it was pretty much definite she was going to have to be put down, but it was four AM.

So i picked her up, padded a box with a towel, and set it by my chair where i could reach down to her.

I reached down and scritched her head ... and she mewed, rubbed her head on my hand, and began purring.

"It's okay now", i could tell she was thinking. "Daddy's here."

For the rest of the time until the vet would be open, i sat there. Sometimes i held her, sometimes i petted her in the box.

I had to change the padding when she lost bowel and bladder control.

And all the time she purred and rubbed against my hand as much as she could.

And then i took her to the vet.

And she purred and loved me until they took her away.

=================

Luckily, the kids weren't living with us then.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm not going to take this chance to relate the details of my own experience, but I am in the same rowboat with you, pulling my own oar.

There's the bitter and there's the sweet, what if we experienced only the one...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Kitty Angels...my son says they watch over their humans, making sure they're loved.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

If there is a Heaven, and someone makes a mistake and lets me in, i expect to meet all the cats and dogs i ever loved as soon as i pass through the gates.

The little black dog we got when i wasn't quite two who lived to be fourteen ... the Dummy and Fido, my favourite of my cats ... Patrick, my mom's big floppy Saint Bernard ... and many more.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

There are those that say that animals have no soul and as such will not be in heaven. If that's so, I don't know that I'd want to spend eternity there.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I forgot to post it last night, as I was dealing with an issue, then crashed...

My son and I agree, this is probably one of the best of the pictures you posted of him, and you need to print it and frame it.

He never fails to be amazed at the range of cute and impossible things cats can do because of how they are built.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

PRPRPrprPRPRprprPRPRprprPRPRPprprPRPPRPrprpPRPRprPRPRprprprpRPRPPPRPRRRRRRRR.....

At 10:36 PM local time, December 12- Our Tuxedo Tom Maine Coon, 'Blackie', finished his race. He was the same age as James, my 17 year old son. They had been together since age 5. I had sent those words as universal comfort language of any cat... only to find out they were needed at home. He now rests just North of the main garden, where he is among previous four-legged tenants that he had outlived.

He is not forgotten.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Remember, they wait for us at the other end of the Rainbow Bridge. (Something I was told by a friend after the passing of one of my Yorkie's a few months ago.)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

It's been many years since I've owned a pet, and I've never had many in any case (I've had four altogether, or five if you count the dead scorpion as one) as my lifestyle tended to not be greatly compatible with taking care of a critter. The most recent one I had, who passed on to the Great Compost Pile in the Sky many years back, was a millipede.

He (he was a he as best as anybody could tell, though the only way to be absolutely certain would have been dissection, which for obvious reasons was rather discouraged) came into my life after he stowed away in my kit one time when I came back from eastern Africa; I found him curled up in a little reddish-brown coil in the folds of one of my shirts at the bottom of the pack. He lived with me for about eight years in all, eventually growing to be about fourteen inches long and almost an inch wide. He outlived all of my other pets, and my family. I knew when he was reaching the end of his line, as he was starting to slow down a bit and was less playful and his colour was getting paler and duller. One day I found him curled up peacefully on a mound of food, which I suppose is as good a way to go as is any. A few days later I gave him a proper send-off on the local river, with a miniature viking pyre-boat loaded up with thermite and eggplant.

It doesn't matter how many legs they have, what sort of body covering, how their chromosomes differ from ours: they can become as much a part of a family as can anybody else. When he was gone, it was a decided final punctuation to the earlier era of my life.