Shelley and Phix

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

davids4250

Shelley and Phix

Post by davids4250 »

With recent revelatios regarding the relationship between Shelley and Phix, I find myself wondering if Phix knew who Shelley was when Monica first brought her to the Library. Any thoughts?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Jabberwonky

Re: Shelley and Phix

Post by Jabberwonky »

I think she knew, but in the same way she was talked into letting her son grow on Earth without her, she knew to let Shelly grow into who she's going to be.
Judging from Phix's reactions, I think that she wasn't duped into letting him go to Earth, just convinced it was the best idea.
Like not teaching her the morphing skills until she was safe on earth, letting her know before now might have put her in danger or changed her path to understanding.
Phix's regret seems to be letting herself getting talked into the situation, not that she was fooled.
Now, I remind you I have a 100% accuracy rating on predicting what's going to happen in the strip. (Yep, all my guesses have been wrong. :D )
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Jabberwonky wrote:I think she knew, but in the same way she was talked into letting her son grow on Earth without her, she knew to let Shelly grow into who she's going to be.
Judging from Phix's reactions, I think that she wasn't duped into letting him go to Earth, just convinced it was the best idea.
Like not teaching her the morphing skills until she was safe on earth, letting her know before now might have put her in danger or changed her path to understanding.
Phix's regret seems to be letting herself getting talked into the situation, not that she was fooled.
Now, I remind you I have a 100% accuracy rating on predicting what's going to happen in the strip. (Yep, all my guesses have been wrong. :D )
I agree that she was convinced sending him to Earth was the best idea. As difficult as it might have been to raise a son in the Library, I think Phix would have been a very good mother. (One wonders if she has any other children.) But unless she had somehow been following her son's life and knew he had a daughter, I don't see how she would have known who Shelley was, unless there is something about a sphinx that makes it obvious to another sphinx.
That is one thing I love about Wapsi: there are so many "what-ifs" that can be speculated about, and some of them might still be covered in future strips.

And my accuracy rating is very similar to yours.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Jabberwonky wrote:I think she knew, but in the same way she was talked into letting her son grow on Earth without her, she knew to let Shelly grow into who she's going to be.
There is a good thing about having your accuracy level .... It can only get better. So sooner or later you have to be right. (Unless your Ziggy or Charlie Brown that is) :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

All in all, I would say it was best for Phix's son to be raised on earth as a human. I mean, he can't very well enter into sphinx society since he can't transform into one. Unless there are really, really strict rules about not taking out a human-sphimx male, he would be in constant danger and would have to be protected around the clock, given how they can kill each other at any time should they show weakness. It would be no real life for a male sphinx hybrid (even just in the library) to begin with. Of course it would mean earth would have to be protected somehow from sphinxes with bad intentions. Or even good intentions, considering that killing and eating the victim is proper and right in sphinx society. So I don't think there was any other real choice there. The real problem is that Phix was not allowed to (or chose not to) interact with her son. Of course she was still confined to the library so even that might not have really worked out. Too bad though. Imagine how cool it would have been to have a mom who is a sphinx. Bullies? No problem. One look at mom fully sphinxinated and they toe the line. They could tell, but who's going to believe them? Then there are the poiting trips to anywhere at any time. In-law visits might be a problem, however.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Bathorys Daughter wrote: Then there are the poiting trips to anywhere at any time. In-law visits might be a problem, however.
I somehow don't think that would be a problem in the Wahnee household.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.