What is one of your favorite webcomics, and why?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jürgen A. Erhard

Re: What is one of your favorite webcomics, and why?

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

I recently (after having followed PS238 for a while) got into Nodwick. A cleric healing with duct tape? There's more, but just that bit makes me laugh every time I contemplate it.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Fairportfan wrote:Heh. Somewhat off-topic for this thread, but only sorta, since it's about one of my favourite webcomics:

Right now, when i attempt to access the Misfile forum, i get
Account Limited

This account has exceeded predefined resource usage limits and has been temporarily limited to ensure shared hosting stability. Please contact IPS support for further information.
Looks like the number of posts going "Squeee!" has crashed the forum.

(Six minutes after the comic posted, i saw 18 posts. By the time i could type a brief post and send it, there were 22.)

Why the "Squeee!" posts?

The ship is finally off the ways and heading out for a shakedown cruise.
About bloody time, too!
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Lupine

Post by Lupine »

Like a lot op people here, I like Questionable Content, XKCD, Girl Genius and Girls With Slingshots. Some of my other favorite webcomics that haven't been mention much or at all are:

Between Failures
PVP Online
Sequential Art
Finder's Keepers (At least when Garth can be bothered to write it.)
Twilight Lady
The Athiest Pig

There are others I read, but these are my favorites. I also have a long list of print comics I read daily that I didn't include here.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity - Lazarus Long (aka RA Heinlein)
liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

Because the two main characters on Misfile finally kissed which pretty much filled everyone's quota for lesbian fantasies for the day.
http://www.misfile.com/?date=2012-08-28.

"You really kiss like a boy, Ash."
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

liquidschwartz wrote:
Because the two main characters on Misfile finally kissed which pretty much filled everyone's quota for lesbian fantasies for the day.
http://www.misfile.com/?date=2012-08-28.

"You really kiss like a boy, Ash."
Not exactly lesbian fantasies - Ash/Emily-sexual fantasies.

Nobody doubts that they'll still be a couple, even if they get switched back to what they were before the misfile (at least, if it's with memories intact).
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

You said "one," so: by far my favorite was the recently-concluded Errant Story, which I have found inexplicably absent in this thread. Superb for character development -- lead character Sarine is probably the most fascinating character I have encountered in any webfiction setting -- and another one that, like Wapsi, digs deeply into difficult themes while retaining plenty of humor. The artist is planning more webcomics set in the Errant World when he gets out from under his current pile (for starters, his wife, who is also his business manager/owner, has been having serious health problems), and I'm greatly looking forward to seeing them.

Among currently-active comics, this one is my favorite, but like lots of other people here, I'd definitely give Girl Genius a shoutout.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Graybeard wrote:You said "one," so: by far my favorite was the recently-concluded Errant Story...
I sense an archive binge coming on.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Fairportfan wrote:
Graybeard wrote:You said "one," so: by far my favorite was the recently-concluded Errant Story...
In progress, actually. They're re-running things from the beginning, with author's commentary added. At the current rate this rehashing will be completed in, oh, fifteen years or so. Errant Story was a long-runner...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Graybeard wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
In progress, actually. They're re-running things from the beginning, with author's commentary added. At the current rate this rehashing will be completed in, oh, fifteen years or so. Errant Story was a long-runner...
No, i meant MY archive binge.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There were three comics that I got into because of familiarity with the authors' past works: Girl Genius (Phil Foglio), PvP (Scott Kurtz) and Dork Tower (I was actually already familiar with Dork Tower, as I have the first edition of Jon Kovalic's comic book of the same name - and of his strip in the Daily Cardinal).

Sheldon was found by me via Ucomics, the forerunner to Comics.com. When Dave Kellet moved to Blank Label Comics, that was where I found Pablo. I also found Evil Inc./Greystone Inn, and Starslip. The forums that were for PVP, Evil Inc. and Starslip were how I found a LOT of my current webcomic list.

I think it was in the old BLC forums where someone pointed me to a webcomic about a bunch of 20-something slackers, a coffee shop, and small talking robots in Northampton, Massachusetts. There were two comics in this strip (named somewhat ironically Questionable Content) that hooked me: the "Theory of Hipster Relativity" and "CARNALLY. ON A REGULAR BASIS." Then, I did an archive binge - and wow.

By the way - I actually drew a guest strip for one of the comics on my original list. Thomas Overbeck did me a favor and re-drew my character a few years later.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Fairportfan wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Fairportfan wrote: I sense an archive binge coming on.
No, i meant MY archive binge.
Ah. Understood.

Actually, you can flip fairly rapidly through about the first six chapters. It's after that that things get ... interesting. (Art also improves dramatically at about that point.)
Thor

Post by Thor »

If you aren't reading Gunnerkrigg Court, you simply aren't reading webcomics.

Great characters. Long and strong plotlines. A most peculiar setting. And a unique art style that goes from strange to stunning to stellar in the amount of time it takes most webcomic writers to finally figure out who their characters are and why we should care.
Leak

Post by Leak »

*sees this thread resurrected*

Whoa, talk about a blast from the past... :)

Anyway, since it's been over two years I might as well add a few:

Stand Still, Stay Silent - a post-zombie-apocalyptic adventure comic with gorgeous artwork and a story that still manages to be funny most of the time.

Monster Soup - what happens when you put a ghost, a medium, a werewolf, a vampire and a zombie on an island on probation.

Wilde Life - just stumbled across this recently started comic about a writer called, of all things, Oscar Wilde who moves to a newly bought house that comes with the ghost of a WWII-era mathematician.

Star Power - sci-fi comic about a lab assistant on a space station that gets turned into one of the last Star-Powered Sentinels while stargazing. World-threatening conflict, superheroics and hilarity ensues.

Sunstone (NSFW, so you need a free DeviantArt account with the "mature" filter turned off) - full-time comic artist Stjepan Sejic hits creative snag, draws some BDSM art as a diversion to try to get out of it, comes to the realization that there's a story to go along with the BDSM, draws said story as an almost-infinite-canvas web-comic along with all the other print projects he's working on - aaand it turns out it's very much another instance of "come for the boobs, stay for the characters"... :)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Oh gee... the thread subject asks for ONE comic...

... um...

... nope, can't do that.

Gonna cheat.

El Goonish Shive.

Rain. Just resumed after a two-month pre-announced hiatus.

Gunnerkrigg Court.

TwoKinds.

Freefall.

Too Much Information (frequently NSFW).

Go Get a Roomie (usually NSFW)

Wapsi Square.

And a number of others that either completed or were abandoned.

And those are just my favorites; I routinely follow over 80.