1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

shadowinthelight

1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by shadowinthelight »

Having some sort of meetup is something I have wanted to put together for a long time. Maybe we should start sharing real ideas?

I was hoping to be able to host a party in my big back yard but it is actually rather dangerous right now, overrun by an evil army of pain inducing stickers. From what I'm reading about lawn care it may be too late in the season to effectively get rid of them. As for my schedule, I have Sundays off but we can supposedly get a Saturday off if requested at least seven days in advance.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Re: 1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by Jabberwonky »

As long as I a bit of warning, almost any weekend is cool with me. I've made the trip to Dallas several times and can do it easily. I normally have weekends off, but there's always a chance for overtime, so I'll need to warn my bosses that I won't be available for that time.

Also curious if we any Houston area Wapsis that are interested in some sort of meet-n-greet...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Naturally this is happening the first winter since I retired that we are NOT wintering in east Texas. Within the lower 48, I think we could be about 100 miles further away...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Warrl wrote:Naturally this is happening the first winter since I retired that we are NOT wintering in east Texas. Within the lower 48, I think we could be about 100 miles further away...
Ain't that how it works?
Julie

Post by Julie »

I work a M-F, 8-5 kind of job, so I'm generally available on any weekend. That said, my weekends have been booking up suspiciously far in advance (which is not something I've ever really had happen before), so if we're looking to plan something sooner rather than later, I may not be available. I think my first free weekend (for now) is the weekend of October 24th. I do have a couple of days left in my PTO bank, but I'm holding them for potential sick days and elongated holiday time off options for the end of the year, so weekdays are pretty much a no-go unless it's a dinner gathering.

However, though I may pout excessively if I can't make it to a meet-up, by all means feel free to schedule whatever works best for everyone else. :P

Whereabouts in the DFW area should we consider having such a shindig? I'm on the east side of the metroplex (as I've mentioned previously), but I don't know how many of us might be more on the Ft. Worth side.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My knowledge of Dallas is far outdated. And even then only included 6 Flags and an interesting restaurant that was themed on a gold mine....
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:My knowledge of Dallas is far outdated. And even then only included 6 Flags and an interesting restaurant that was themed on a gold mine....
Specifics can probably be sorted out later (and I hope I'm barely a part of that decision since I'm so bad at making up my mind ;) ). I'm more thinking about what city is going to be most convenient/centrally located for the most people. :)
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:My knowledge of Dallas is far outdated. And even then only included 6 Flags and an interesting restaurant that was themed on a gold mine....
Specifics can probably be sorted out later (and I hope I'm barely a part of that decision since I'm so bad at making up my mind ;) ). I'm more thinking about what city is going to be most convenient/centrally located for the most people. :)
I vote for Houston...

:P
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:
I vote for Houston...

:P
Goober! *pokes* You're already trying to schedule an afternoon thingamajig for Houston. :P You're welcome to come crash our DFW party (if/when it happens), but we're not moving ours that far south. :)
"Just open your eyes
shadowinthelight

Julie wrote:Whereabouts in the DFW area should we consider having such a shindig? I'm on the east side of the metroplex (as I've mentioned previously), but I don't know how many of us might be more on the Ft. Worth side.
If you walk to the end of my street you can see downtown Fort Worth in the distance. You can also see the Cowboy's stadium in the opposite direction but that isn't saying much. That monstrosity is probably visible from outer space. I can drive to anywhere in the area, though.

Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

I am adaptable and mobile. If a Sunday event is the best, so be it!
Julie

Post by Julie »

So when do we want to do this? How much advance notice do we need to get people to be there and to get "there" figured out?
"Just open your eyes
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:So when do we want to do this? How much advance notice do we need to get people to be there and to get "there" figured out?
First, sounds like DFW is location. I'd gladly offer my place as ground zero, but that requires meeting in Conroe area. Will provide refreshments and food if that is incentive.

Second, DFW meet requires place. Someone offers to host or suggests neutral ground as in favorite watering hole/ice house, somewhere with outside seating might work since weather is turning tolerable.

Third, interested parties submit preferred date, the collective chooses best fit.

Easy!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:
Julie wrote:So when do we want to do this? How much advance notice do we need to get people to be there and to get "there" figured out?
First, sounds like DFW is location. I'd gladly offer my place as ground zero, but that requires meeting in Conroe area. Will provide refreshments and food if that is incentive.

Second, DFW meet requires place. Someone offers to host or suggests neutral ground as in favorite watering hole/ice house, somewhere with outside seating might work since weather is turning tolerable.

Third, interested parties submit preferred date, the collective chooses best fit.

Easy!
Well I already threw out that unless it's on a weeknight, I'd prefer it be October 24th or later. I just need to see what other timeframe votes can get tossed into the ring for review. :P Also, I have a lot of favorite "watering holes," but not all of the are equipped with lots of patio space (some don't have any), and 100% of them are on the Dallas side of the metroplex...so that puts shadowinthelight commuting a bit (and anyone else who might be on his side of town). I'd offer up my home as a meeting point, but it's not really any more convenient, nor is it in the best condition at the moment, and I'd get thwapped ten ways from Sunday by my friends for giving my address to a bunch of internet peoples that I've never met face-to-face before. :P

Thoughts from the other DFW folks? Another thought...would any attendees be subject to any kind of dietary restrictions? I feel kind of silly asking, but as much as I love The Flying Saucer, I never go there with my friend who has Celiac just because their gluten-free beverage list is short and they don't have whiskey (which is her go-to beverage when friends are drinking beer)...so it's probably a good thing to consider.
"Just open your eyes
shadowinthelight

The kid in me (which is a large percentage of my makeup) says let's get together at Six Flags for Fright Fest but I know that can be pretty expensive.

Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:The kid in me (which is a large percentage of my makeup) says let's get together at Six Flags for Fright Fest but I know that can be pretty expensive.
:D You know, I've lived in the DFW area my entire life, but I've never been to Frightfest.
"Just open your eyes
shadowinthelight

Neither have I. And I've only been to Holiday in the Park once which was a couple of years ago.

I wish they would publish a list of which songs they have at the karaoke thing because if I knew they have something I know I would promise to get on stage.

Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:Neither have I. And I've only been to Holiday in the Park once which was a couple of years ago.

I wish they would publish a list of which songs they have at the karaoke thing because if I knew they have something I know I would promise to get on stage.
HA! I'd love to see that. :D It takes a LOT of booze or an excessively high comfort level with someone for me to sing anywhere but in the shower...but watching other people sing is entertaining.
"Just open your eyes
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

shadowinthelight wrote:Neither have I. And I've only been to Holiday in the Park once which was a couple of years ago.

I could bring Guitar, Banjo, Harmonicas and a passel of songbooks- on a good day I've got three octaves to work with- you care for 'American Dirt'? ("are we FOLK or ROCK or COUNTRY? Seems like everybody cares but us...")
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Shadowinthelight wrote:I wish they would publish a list of which songs they have at the karaoke thing because if I knew they have something I know I would promise to get on stage.
I would love to do one of the filks I've written, but like Miss Julie...
Miss Julie wrote: It takes a LOT of booze or an excessively high comfort level with someone for me to sing anywhere but in the shower...
It takes a lot of booze for me to get up in front of people to do anything...