1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

oldmanmickey

Re: 1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by oldmanmickey »

got mine done as well
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

jwhouk wrote:And just like that...

Here's your map.

I have a few places already seeded on the map. You can add by searching, adding the marker, and going from there.
How do you add a marker?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Opus the Poet wrote:

Here's your map.

I have a few places already seeded on the map. You can add by searching, adding the marker, and going from there.
How do you add a marker?
Joe's doesn't let you (at the moment), as the sharing rules don't permit anyone but him to edit it.

Try mine instead. I stole Joe's data to start with, and then added a layer for fan addresses. Zoom and pan to where you want to add the marker. Click on the fan-address layer (over in the panel at the left), then click the pin-to-drop "add marker" icon in the tool-selection panel near the top. Point and click to drop the pin, then edit its text as you wish.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Dave wrote: I think the trick is as Greg suggested: you shared out the map with default permissions. Anyone who has the link can open and print it, but not edit. To let people add their own pins you have to allow other people to edit the map... which you can do from the "Share" menu,
Oops. I fixied that.
Here's the link to mine... please let me know if you can select one or the other of the data overlay layers and add pins.
That works. Heh, didn't think of adding Mapimi and Mesa Verde.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I didn't realize the servers were just up the road from me...I wonder if I can stage a break in to tap the line for earlier updates... *rubs chin thoughtfully*
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky wrote:I didn't realize the servers were just up the road from me...I wonder if I can stage a break in to tap the line for earlier updates... *rubs chin thoughtfully*
I don't think Bookworm would like that.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

I added myself to both maps. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I've added some Wapsi-related items to Dave's map.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:

Here's your map.

How do you add a marker?
Joe's doesn't let you (at the moment), as the sharing rules don't permit anyone but him to edit it.

Try mine instead. I stole Joe's data to start with, and then added a layer for fan addresses. Zoom and pan to where you want to add the marker. Click on the fan-address layer (over in the panel at the left), then click the pin-to-drop "add marker" icon in the tool-selection panel near the top. Point and click to drop the pin, then edit its text as you wish.
It's not working for me, or at least I do not see or recognize an add marker icon.

As Sheriff Bart said, "He'p me! He'p me!"
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:It's not working for me, or at least I do not see or recognize an add marker icon.

(Dave refrains from holding up a Bible with a hole shotgunned straight through it, and saying "Son, you're on your own!")

Details, please:

- What operating system and version are you running?
- What browser are you using?
- Do you have script protection installed (e.g. NoScript or similar) and, if so, can you temporarily disable it or whitelist the Google Maps site?

It works OK for me on Chrome and Firefox (both on Linux). Doesn't work on my old iPad - I suspect the Javascript used to support it is too complex.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:It's not working for me, or at least I do not see or recognize an add marker icon.

(Dave refrains from holding up a Bible with a hole shotgunned straight through it, and saying "Son, you're on your own!")

Details, please:

- What operating system and version are you running?
- What browser are you using?
- Do you have script protection installed (e.g. NoScript or similar) and, if so, can you temporarily disable it or whitelist the Google Maps site?

It works OK for me on Chrome and Firefox (both on Linux). Doesn't work on my old iPad - I suspect the Javascript used to support it is too complex.
One of my favorite movies. Just can't make 'em like that anymore.

OK. Details.

Mac OS X Yosemite
Safari
Beats me.

Please feel free to roll eyes and utter impolite words. When it comes to computers, if ignorance is bliss, I am one happy mo-fo.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Right below the white box is a series of boxes with icons. The one next to the hand icon - a "marker" icon - is what you click to set a marker. Then, you click on the map where you are. THEN You type in the box your Username or whatever you wish to share in the first box, then some other pity thing in the larger box (if you'd like). Then, click on "save" to save the point to the map.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

jwhouk wrote:Image

Right below the white box is a series of boxes with icons. The one next to the hand icon - a "marker" icon - is what you click to set a marker. Then, you click on the map where you are. THEN You type in the box your Username or whatever you wish to share in the first box, then some other pity thing in the larger box (if you'd like). Then, click on "save" to save the point to the map.
Yes, it's that simple if the menu shows up like in your screenshot. It does not appear when I access the map. It's not a Google account thing, is it?

If I'm SoL in adding a marker, I'll just stick a piece of tape on my monitor where I am located, take a picture of it, then post!

Smash that "Easy" button with a ten pound sledge and call it done! :D
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It may very well be a Google Account issue.

EDIT: And I just checked it out on MS Edge - yep, you need a Google account to add a marker.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

jwhouk wrote:It may very well be a Google Account issue.

EDIT: And I just checked it out on MS Edge - yep, you need a Google account to add a marker.
Well, one more electron trail to sign up for I guess.

Until then.....
Attachments
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg (244.99 KiB) Viewed 9199 times
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You've been added. ;)
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

jwhouk wrote:You've been added. ;)
Than'kew, kahnd sir!

Close enuf fer gubmin't work.

The accent may be a tad thick, even for folks from Cut and Shoot. And I know a few from there...
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:
Than'kew, kahnd sir!

The accent may be a tad thick, even for folks from Cut and Shoot. And I know a few from there...
One of my high school band directors was from Cut and Shoot...though I always thought it was truly Cut 'N Shoot because of how he said it. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Than'kew, kahnd sir!

One of my high school band directors was from Cut and Shoot...though I always thought it was truly Cut 'N Shoot because of how he said it. :P
That would be the correct pronunciation. :D But look for it on maps and you see Cut and Shoot.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hansontoons wrote:
Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Than'kew, kahnd sir!

That would be the correct pronunciation. :D But look for it on maps and you see Cut and Shoot.
Just more proof on the Conspiracy of Jealousy from the rest of the lesser states against the Great State of Texas. I bet that map was made above the Mason/Dixon line... Whar's muh boots an' mah shootin' ahrn?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous