1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

oldmanmickey

Re: 1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by oldmanmickey »

Well if yall gonna do a Texas one and a Cali one we need one down south here as well. anyone in decent driving distance of Montgomery Alabama or points south?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:While scoping out the area, I noted it is a mall zone. I just like avoiding traffic if possible. I know how Houston traffic is on mid-day on weekends.

Wait, squirrel?!?
What?? There's another one?? :P

There is a mall at the intersection of the Dallas North Tollway and 635...If you're willing to get a bill for $0.50, you can hop into the Tollway for that transition (instead of relying on the feeder roads) and then hop off at the first available exit...then you'll avoid any traffic around the Galleria. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Julie

Post by Julie »

Okay...So I can't decide what I'm going to wear (and really, brown-haired woman in a t-shirt is probably too common to be helpful). Instead, I'll just bring a couple of Wapsi books to set out on the edge of the table as a sign. :)
"Just open your eyes
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Julie wrote:Okay...So I can't decide what I'm going to wear (and really, brown-haired woman in a t-shirt is probably too common to be helpful). Instead, I'll just bring a couple of Wapsi books to set out on the edge of the table as a sign. :)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Julie wrote:Okay...So I can't decide what I'm going to wear (and really, brown-haired woman in a t-shirt is probably too common to be helpful). Instead, I'll just bring a couple of Wapsi books to set out on the edge of the table as a sign. :)
Hey...I can't help that I've got a lot of t-shirts. :P
"Just open your eyes
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I doubt I'll be able to make it to any location centralized enough for anyone else... I think I'm one of the closest regular forum members to Paul himself - Illinois to Iowa isn't normally that bad of a drive. However, I'm not sure I want to push Frankie (The FrankenStratus) quite that hard until after I've replaced the front shocks, fixed the steering, sorted out the heater, and figured out the whole "overheats when left to idle too long" issue.

Or, more simply, until after I put Frankie down and get a new car.

If it wasn't for that, I'd be communicating with Paul about making a Midwestern Wapsicon somewhere close to him if he wishes to show up.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:and figured out the whole "overheats when left to idle too long" issue
Overheating? That's an easy one. It's getting angry from you leaving it alone for too long.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Miss Juilie Imma gonna need a ride to the Saucer with the weather as forecast and taking the chips and dip to the D&D game after Wapsicon.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:and figured out the whole "overheats when left to idle too long" issue
Overheating? That's an easy one. It's getting angry from you leaving it alone for too long.
Check your water pump. I had that issue come up, twice, this year. It ran fine when on the road, but being in an extended live at a drive through would give me the smell of anti-freeze and the gauge would creep up. When I finally figured it out, taking the pump off showed that the fins on the impeller were almost completely gone.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hopefully you guys don't get drowned out... that Hurricane off the Gulf Coast is looking to be a bad 'un.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:Hopefully you guys don't get drowned out... that Hurricane off the Gulf Coast is looking to be a bad 'un.
There's a hurricane off the Gulf Coast? :shock: I thought the only hurricanes going right now were in the Pacific.
"Just open your eyes
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:I doubt I'll be able to make it to any location centralized enough for anyone else... I think I'm one of the closest regular forum members to Paul himself - Illinois to Iowa isn't normally that bad of a drive. However, I'm not sure I want to push Frankie (The FrankenStratus) quite that hard until after I've replaced the front shocks, fixed the steering, sorted out the heater, and figured out the whole "overheats when left to idle too long" issue.

Or, more simply, until after I put Frankie down and get a new car.

If it wasn't for that, I'd be communicating with Paul about making a Midwestern Wapsicon somewhere close to him if he wishes to show up.
Overheating at idle? Yet maintains temp at speed? Open the hood and see if yer fan is turning at idle- it will be an electric operation mounted behind the radiator. If that thing is 1)disconnected or 2) bought the farm, it will do that... if it is connected but not running, throw a VOM across the leads and see if it is getting juice... if not, check the appropriate fuse. The fact that your heater system (which relys on the heat of the engine) is giving you trouble, it is also possible that there is a clog going on from radiator sealant- THAT will involve a new radiator and heater core, or maybe rodding thereof. A pro radiator shop can determine this, usually at no charge
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My bad - the hurricane's off the Pacific coast of Mexico. It'll probably just be a heavy soaker in a week when its remnants hit TX...

If, of course, it doesn't do a right turn at Monterrey...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:My bad - the hurricane's off the Pacific coast of Mexico. It'll probably just be a heavy soaker in a week when its remnants hit TX...

They're saying that the west coast of Mexico is going to be hit very hard. Hurricane Patricia is clocking 200 MPH winds (!), reportedly the strongest hurricane winds ever measured. CNN weatherguy is saying that Manzanita may be hit by a 30-foot storm surge... and then maybe as much as 18-20 inches of rain in the mountains, which will come pouring back down into the coastal areas.

Even the remnants of this may give Texas quite a dampening, in a few days.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:My bad - the hurricane's off the Pacific coast of Mexico. It'll probably just be a heavy soaker in a week when its remnants hit TX...

They're saying that the west coast of Mexico is going to be hit very hard. Hurricane Patricia is clocking 200 MPH winds (!), reportedly the strongest hurricane winds ever measured. CNN weatherguy is saying that Manzanita may be hit by a 30-foot storm surge... and then maybe as much as 18-20 inches of rain in the mountains, which will come pouring back down into the coastal areas.

Even the remnants of this may give Texas quite a dampening, in a few days.
Yeah...which should be interesting since we're already getting rain. I guess it will just be fairly consistently wet until that storm dissipates...and I shouldn't complain because we need the rain. :)
"Just open your eyes
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote: and figured out the whole "overheats when left to idle too long" issue.
Check the cooling fan by the radiator, and the thermostat that controls it. Hope it's the latter, it's much cheaper.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

200 MPH Hurricane winds?!? Those wind speeds are usually reserved for the most powerful tornados!!!
:shock: :o :?

Sooo... Does this qualify as a Class 6 Hurricane?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

It happened! The First "Unofficial" DFW Wapsicon was a rousing success. The crowd was elbow to elbow! Well, at least on one side of the table! :D

We shared our Wapsi sketches and visited for about 5 hours while enjoying the hospitality of The Flying Saucer.

Thank you Shadow, for putting the idea out there. Thank you Julie for suggesting the time and place. And thank you Paul for a reason for five strangers to come together and enjoy each others company. Hopefully there will be a second and others around the globe!

L to R: Jabberwonky, Opus the Poet, Julie, shadowinthelight, and Hansontoons.
Attachments
IMG_0689.jpg
IMG_0689.jpg (226.53 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hansontoons wrote:It happened! The First "Unofficial" DFW Wapsicon was a rousing success. The crowd was elbow to elbow! Well, at least on one side of the table! :D
Congratulations to all and sundry! I really wish I could have been there!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I am soooo jealous... Especially now that I see how good-looking Julie is.... but DAMN I wish I could'a been there! Ausgeseichnet!
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.