1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Julie

Re: 1st *Unofficial* DFW Wapsicon

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Miss Julie wrote: It takes a LOT of booze or an excessively high comfort level with someone for me to sing anywhere but in the shower...
It takes a lot of booze for me to get up in front of people to do anything...
I can manage giving a speech or presentation in front of a crowd (I've had to do it about 5-7 times a year for the past 4 years, if not more often...kind of got used to it)...but singing?? Solo performances are a special kind of hell for easily embarrassed people like me. Hence the need for a little (aka a lot) of alcohol to make something like that seem like a good idea. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:I can manage giving a speech or presentation in front of a crowd (I've had to do it about 5-7 times a year for the past 4 years, if not more often...kind of got used to it)...but singing?? Solo performances are a special kind of hell for easily embarrassed people like me. Hence the need for a little (aka a lot) of alcohol to make something like that seem like a good idea. :P
I'ma have to dig up my Wapsi filks and print 'em out for just in case...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:
Julie wrote:So when do we want to do this? How much advance notice do we need to get people to be there and to get "there" figured out?
First, sounds like DFW is location. I'd gladly offer my place as ground zero, but that requires meeting in Conroe area. Will provide refreshments and food if that is incentive.

Second, DFW meet requires place. Someone offers to host or suggests neutral ground as in favorite watering hole/ice house, somewhere with outside seating might work since weather is turning tolerable.

Third, interested parties submit preferred date, the collective chooses best fit.

Easy!
Well I already threw out that unless it's on a weeknight, I'd prefer it be October 24th or later. I just need to see what other timeframe votes can get tossed into the ring for review. :P Also, I have a lot of favorite "watering holes," but not all of the are equipped with lots of patio space (some don't have any), and 100% of them are on the Dallas side of the metroplex...so that puts shadowinthelight commuting a bit (and anyone else who might be on his side of town). I'd offer up my home as a meeting point, but it's not really any more convenient, nor is it in the best condition at the moment, and I'd get thwapped ten ways from Sunday by my friends for giving my address to a bunch of internet peoples that I've never met face-to-face before. :P

Thoughts from the other DFW folks? Another thought...would any attendees be subject to any kind of dietary restrictions? I feel kind of silly asking, but as much as I love The Flying Saucer, I never go there with my friend who has Celiac just because their gluten-free beverage list is short and they don't have whiskey (which is her go-to beverage when friends are drinking beer)...so it's probably a good thing to consider.
Just looked at Flying Saucer info, works for me! As far as driving goes, this is Texas! I've driven to Austin from Conroe and back the same day. My daily commute is 38 miles. One way. Not bragging, just commenting. It's all about where you want to spend your weekends. Granted, traffic on I-45 into Houston bites these days, but my place is paid for and I know I couldn't get something comparable anywhere closer in. I digress.

A mid-afternoon Saturday meeting before the evening masses take over might be worthy of consideration. Invite friends for backup if desired. Get in, have introductions, talk Wapsi and life, enjoy libations, eat food, have group hug, leave happy. Or if things click, the group takes over a corner of the chosen establishment of meeting and proceeds to make merry with song and displays of intelligence and power of mind. Well, the last part of that plan excludes me... but I will sing and you will regret encouraging me to do so!

Comments?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:Just looked at Flying Saucer info, works for me! As far as driving goes, this is Texas! I've driven to Austin from Conroe and back the same day. My daily commute is 38 miles. One way. Not bragging, just commenting. It's all about where you want to spend your weekends. Granted, traffic on I-45 into Houston bites these days, but my place is paid for and I know I couldn't get something comparable anywhere closer in. I digress.

A mid-afternoon Saturday meeting before the evening masses take over might be worthy of consideration. Invite friends for backup if desired. Get in, have introductions, talk Wapsi and life, enjoy libations, eat food, have group hug, leave happy. Or if things click, the group takes over a corner of the chosen establishment of meeting and proceeds to make merry with song and displays of intelligence and power of mind. Well, the last part of that plan excludes me... but I will sing and you will regret encouraging me to do so!

Comments?
I'm fine with that. :) We just need buy in from everyone, then to pick which location and which afternoon. :)
"Just open your eyes
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Just looked at Flying Saucer info, works for me! As far as driving goes, this is Texas! I've driven to Austin from Conroe and back the same day. My daily commute is 38 miles. One way. Not bragging, just commenting. It's all about where you want to spend your weekends. Granted, traffic on I-45 into Houston bites these days, but my place is paid for and I know I couldn't get something comparable anywhere closer in. I digress.

Comments?
I'm fine with that. :) We just need buy in from everyone, then to pick which location and which afternoon. :)
So far there are four interested. Shadow, Jab, Julie, and The Toons. The Sarge commented about showing up with his one-man band ensemble, but as fantastic as that would be to have he and his beloved attend, I'm guessing that might be a stretch all the way from O-re-gone. Any others out there that are even mildly interested? Pablo, it's about 11-12 hours from DM to DFW if you don't stop very often... I'll bring a hat to pass for gas money.

10/24 works for me, any weekend date after that is open so far.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Hansontoons wrote:
Julie wrote:

Comments?
So far there are four interested. Shadow, Jab, Julie, and The Toons. The Sarge commented about showing up with his one-man band ensemble, but as fantastic as that would be to have he and his beloved attend, I'm guessing that might be a stretch all the way from O-re-gone. Any others out there that are even mildly interested? Pablo, it's about 11-12 hours from DM to DFW if you don't stop very often... I'll bring a hat to pass for gas money.

10/24 works for me, any weekend date after that is open so far.
Sounds cool to me, but don't let me be the lynch pin. I'll fit my plans to make the meeting...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I could bring Guitar, Banjo, Harmonicas and a passel of songbooks- on a good day I've got three octaves to work with- you care for 'American Dirt'? ("are we FOLK or ROCK or COUNTRY? Seems like everybody cares but us...")
Off the top of my head, bands I can think of who have at least one song I know I can sing with confidence (from memory without looking at the lyrics, more if I lyrics are available):
Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses, Incubus, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Machines of Loving Grace, Marylin Manson, Megadeth, Metallica, Mötley Crüe, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, System of a Down, Tonic, Violent Femmes...

As you can see my repertoire doesn't exactly align with the typical karaoke selection. I could imagine a place having GNR stuff like Sweet Child O' Mine but I'm better with tracks like November Rain and You Could Be Mine. With the proper musical backup I could sing every note of Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine from start to finish, though.

*I don't claim to be good, only that I can.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:I could bring Guitar, Banjo, Harmonicas and a passel of songbooks- on a good day I've got three octaves to work with- you care for 'American Dirt'? ("are we FOLK or ROCK or COUNTRY? Seems like everybody cares but us...")
Off the top of my head, bands I can think of who have at least one song I know I can sing with confidence (from memory without looking at the lyrics, more if I lyrics are available):
Alice in Chains, Guns N' Roses, Incubus, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Machines of Loving Grace, Marylin Manson, Megadeth, Metallica, Mötley Crüe, Muse, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, System of a Down, Tonic, Violent Femmes...

As you can see my repertoire doesn't exactly align with the typical karaoke selection. I could imagine a place having GNR stuff like Sweet Child O' Mine but I'm better with tracks like November Rain and You Could Be Mine. With the proper musical backup I could sing every note of Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine from start to finish, though.

*I don't claim to be good, only that I can.
I, for one, would love to hear Sarge's arrangements of songs from the list of bands provided...
Kinda like this...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm closer to Pablo than about 95% of you, but he's still a state away.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

So did this idea die? :P How about I say I'll be at the Flying Saucer in Addison (off Belt Line Rd) on the 24th at 11 am...and I'll stay there until 3 pm...and anyone who wants to meet up can find me there. :)
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Got it marked on my calendar machine...

This Flying Saucer Draught Emporium?

(And if we're meeting in a Flying Saucer, does that mean Derpy Bud will be there?)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yes...that's the place...and I'll consider bringing my print of that derpy Bud page to suit the occasion. ;)
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:Yes...that's the place...and I'll consider bringing my print of that derpy Bud page to suit the occasion. ;)
I'm considering bringing my auction wins to show off. Anyone interested in seeing the originals?
Julie

Post by Julie »

I do! :D
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:I do! :D
Cool! I'll bring them!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

In the words of the meme, "Pics or it didn't happen." ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:In the words of the meme, "Pics or it didn't happen." ;)
Of course! :)
"Just open your eyes
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:So did this idea die? :P How about I say I'll be at the Flying Saucer in Addison (off Belt Line Rd) on the 24th at 11 am...and I'll stay there until 3 pm...and anyone who wants to meet up can find me there. :)
Life gets in the way, that's what happened.

I can make that day, about a three-hour run each way. And I'll bring what I have from Paul.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I'm in, assuming my request for that day off gets approved.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:I'm in, assuming my request for that day off gets approved.
Hey, let us know if it isn't...we'll 'talk' to your supervisors...