Vandals cut the Internet

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Vandals cut the Internet

Post by TazManiac »

It seems the outage which affected Mendocino County, in Northern California, was not due to Construction on the roadway as originally thought but rather..... due to Vandals. (dat-da-Duuuuhmmmmm)

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/44298 ... ss-service

http://kymkemp.com/2015/09/03/internet- ... to-repair/

http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/genera ... ino-county

The main sticky point is... Its supposed to be a Web. As in multipoints of connection. As in, originally designed to support Communication between separated parts of the Military and Command & Control aspects of the US Government. During a WAR. ARPNET

Why didn't the feed from up farther North pick up the slack? (he asked redundantly, and yes even Rhetorically..)
Dave

Re: Vandals cut the Internet

Post by Dave »

Sounds like insufficient redundency, at either the physical or network-organizational levels.

The Internet these days isn't a fully-connected mesh with full dynamic routing... it has become too big for each router to be able to keep track of the current "best route" to each other network. It's more like a connection of separate subnetworks, loosely connected together at a modest number of "peering points", with somewhat simpler sets of routing rules... basically, if the destination isn't fairly local, the packet is sent outwards to the nearest major routing node or peering point.

In the case of what happened in the North Coast, any or all of several things might have made it hard to route around the problem.

There might simply have been no alternate "wire route" to the affected area. The area might have been served by what amounts to a branch circuit, and there might not have been a trunk with sufficient capacity coming down from another area (at's up in the "lost coast" area... fairly rugged territory by California standards, not a lot of population).

There might not have been a peering point or arrangement to route the affected network traffic around the damage. Changing major network routes takes time these days... do it wrong and you destabilize the whole Net in that area ("route flapping") .

The alternative network paths might have been affected by the same damage. It's not common for network paths which appear to be independently operated and managed, to make use of the same physical transit services. A couple of decades ago, the whole East Coast segment of the Internet fell apart for a day or so. Three major backbone links, operated by three separate companies, on three separate optical fibers, died simultaneously. Turns out that the cables all ran through the same trench, on the same right-of-way, and a single goof with a backhoe cut them all at once.

Back in 2009, vandals cut four optical-fiber trunks in two service manholes in San Jose. This took out telephone landline, cellphone, Internet, and 911 service through half of the county for a full day. We were vey lucky nobody died during an accident or fire because they couldn't get through to call for help.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, yesterdays cracker barrel discussion was that there wasn't enough population (read as $$$) to provide a back-up 'Plan B' for the region.

Part of the (not exactly 'good') news was that one of the Hospitals (ISP is Cisco) was up and running just an hour after the trouble started.

The rest of us had to wait until after two am, or basically the next morning.

All the guys (prior to this point) paying too much for Hughes-net Satellite Internet service were laughing up their sleeves and laying low lest they got over run with neighbors seeking to borrow a 'cup of Internet'...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I seem to recall reading that that's been a thing in California recently.

Yep - here's a couple stories:

FBI investigating vandalism of Bay Area fiber-optic cables
By Matt Hamilton/the LA Times - July 1, 2015 wrote:The FBI is investigating the severing Tuesday of a cluster of high-capacity fiber-optic cables in the Bay Area that disrupted phone and cable service and slowed Internet access to customers in Northern California.

A vandal was believed to have entered an Alameda County manhole and clipped three fiber-optic cables housed in a subterranean vault. It was the latest in nearly a dozen such attacks during the past year across the Bay Area, FBI spokesman Greg Wuthrich said.

The attack highlighted the vulnerabilities and interconnectivity of the telecommunications grid. Homes, businesses and Internet service providers across Northern California were frustrated by the severed lines.

“Pretty much everybody who has a large network in the Bay Area” was affected by the vandalism, said Peter Kranz, chief executive of Berkeley-based Internet provider Unwired Ltd. “The fiber bundles carry traffic for lots and lots of companies. Hundreds, thousands of businesses will share.”

The effect of the damage on area businesses and customers was not fully known, Wuthrich said.

Service since has been fully restored, the companies announced Tuesday night and Wednesday.

At least two companies acknowledged that fiber-optic cables they own were compromised in the attack. The Colorado-based firms Level 3 Communications and Zayo Group have fiber lines used by Wave Broadband, whose customers stretch from Silicon Valley to the U.S.-Canadian border.

Wave Broadband spokesman Mark Peterson said the severed cable lines primarily affected customers in suburban areas around Sacramento and Rocklin, Calif.

Customers were expected to have slow Internet service and partial TV service. Phone service also was being restored, Peterson said.

“It's a huge inconvenience, but it's not a comprehensive outage,” said Peterson, who could not provide the number of customers affected.

Kranz said he was alerted to the clipped lines shortly after 4:20 a.m. His company was able to reroute traffic, but the drop in available routes “stressed the network,” he said.

Microsoft general manager Adrienne Hall acknowledged in a statement that service was rerouted for customers because of issues related to a cut cable, but Hall did not pinpoint the location.

A bundle of fiber-optic lines also was cut in the Portland, Ore., area, which further disrupted service to Level 3, according to a company statement. The company said the two incidents were unrelated.

Since July 6, 2014, fiber-optic cable lines have been intentionally severed in at least 10 Bay Area cities, including Fremont, Berkeley, San Jose and Walnut Creek, according to the FBI.

Investigators are unsure how — or if — the incidents are connected. The nature of the attacks, often in remote areas, perhaps by vandals dressed as utility workers, has made it difficult to identify suspects, Wuthrich said.

“Different companies have thousands of these vaults,” he said.

Attacks on the telecommunication infrastructure are not new.

Fiber-optic cables at four California locations were clipped April 9, 2009, shutting down service for more than 50,000 people in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and San Benito counties, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

On April 16, 2013, suspects clipped fiber-optic cables outside San Jose before snipers opened fire on electrical transformers at PG&E's Metcalf Transmission Substation, causing more than $15 million in damage.

According to the FBI, the recent spate of fiber cuts are unconnected to the sniper attack on the Metcalf substation. No one has been arrested in connection with that attack.
California fiber optic cable vandalism continues unabated
David Kravets/ars technica - 1 July 2015 wrote:Vandalism on San Francisco Bay Area fiber optic cables is continuing, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said. Three lines were severed Tuesday, disrupting telecommunications service in the state's capital of Sacramento, and even as far north as Seattle.

The latest attack on an underground vault in Livermore, about 40 miles southeast of San Francisco, brings to 11 the number of separate incidents in the region dating to July 2014.

Greg Wuthrich, an FBI special agent in San Francisco, told Ars in a telephone interview that the agency was baffled, and the bureau has discovered "no real motive" for the cable cutting.

"These are vandalism cases at this point that are happening in multiple jurisdictions and in multiple cities," the agent said.

The lines are about as thick as a finger and are covered with flexible conduit. The cuts have been performed in areas where there are no security cameras.

The latest incident affected Internet wholesalers Level 3 Communications and Zayo Group Holdings. Internet, television, and phone service were impacted for a variety of service providers following the early morning Tuesday attack. Microsoft said there was a slowdown in its Azure cloud computing service because of cut fiber.

Wuthrich told Ars last month that those responsible "may appear to be normal telecommunications maintenance workers or possess tools consistent with that job role."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

And, then, of course, we have the New York cable/phone company wars:

Verizon Worker Accused Of Cablevision Wire Cut
Vos Iz Neias/2 December 2104 wrote:Police on Long Island have arrested a Verizon technician on charges he vandalized wires belonging to rival Cablevision.

Police say Vincent Gargano of Setauket was arrested Tuesday. He was charged with criminal mischief and criminal trespassing. The name of his attorney was not immediately known.

A telephone message left at Gargano’s home was not returned.

Police say Gargano cut a Cablevision fiber optic cable wire and another Cablevision wire on Jan. 7

The outage affected about 6,000 customers. A Cablevision spokeswoman declined to comment.

Verizon spokesman John Bonomo confirmed that Gargano was an employee. He said in a statement that Gargano’s alleged actions are not consistent with how Verizon conducts business.

He said the company is cooperating with investigators.
Why did they cut FIOS cables?
andertrack/DSLReports/22 March 2013 wrote:We switched from FIOS to Optimum about four months ago. After waiting four months for them to update the guide on our SA DVR we went back to FIOS yesterday.

Only problem was that when the FIOS installer came he saw that the Optimum tech had cut the FIOS fiber optic cable at our home and on the pole.

The FIOS tech said there was no reason for them to do this and he has had other customers have the same issue. The end result is that they had to run a new cable and be there 3 more hours longer than they needed to be.

Is this their policy?

Those were all i could find quickly, but some years ago i saw a number of reports of Verizon, Cablevision and other companies cutting competitors' fiber.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, at first we all assumed it was the backhoe man, but it seems , now, that things are actually running better than prior too...

Hmmmm...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

I had one DSL line, though three different phone companies over the years.

We paid $500 in 1997 for the cable to be run. We were one of four in our town to have high speed net until cable came along.

We never had vandals, because everyone knew everyone.

Even just before we moved, if friends came over, they could connect, this town pretty much shared in the plenty, and if I couldn't connect, I walked to the library, and if they couldn't, nobody in the county could.

Stupid kids these days ruin it for everyone.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

As a wise engineer once observed, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

That aside, is the sheer amount of traffic on the Internet overwhelming the webbiness it was designed for? Or has the web been built out differently from the original plan? I thought it was supposed to allow communication after nuclear war, over copper lines and coax, as Taz mentioned up top there. (What little I know about the architecture I picked up by working on business and tech books in the 90s.)

My brother works for one of the big telecom companies. Those folks don't love their corporate overlords enough to sabotage the competition just to benefit the company. More likely some frustrated guy wanting to wreck shit without getting fired for it.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Or... could be nothing more than testing how well cutting cables mucks everything up- how long does it take to get back online, etc. If I had intentions of robbing a bank, say- I would pull this caper in the bank's neighborhood just to see how long the response was so I could get some idea how much time I had to clear out the vaults with the security systems down, seeing as they typically use internet to report after hour intrusions. Should I wish to capture an area, I would down the internet and cell-phone relay stations to dampen in-out communication as well as the hard phonelines. Any time a major communication media is shut down, I always ask 'what strategic materials are in the blackout?' When you see it happening in different locals at different times, SOMEBODY is testing the waters for something BIG, hopeing to shut down communications in several locals to allow...?

I have my theories as to WHO might be doing this- and WHY.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

"As you know, my speciality is
psychology, so people very often say to me, 'Isn't it a terrible
strain living up there on the Moon—isn't it a hostile, terrifying
environment?'

"They're always surprised when I say no, not nearly as bad
as right here on Earth. But that's the literal truth. You see,
on the Moon you know exactly how the environment can be
hostile to you. You know that if you puncture a tunnel-wall,
or snag your suit, you're in danger of death, or at least of
losing a limb to dehydratory gangrene when the sphincter at
the next joint inwards seals off the empty section of the suit.
You know that if you forget to switch your suit to reflecting
before crossing a patch of open ground in full sunlight you'll
bake before you return to shadow, and if you don't cut in
your heaters when you go out at night your feet will be frostbitten
within fifty metres.

"More important than that, though, you know you're in an
environment where co-operation is essential to survival.
There are no strangers on the Moon.

"Down here on Earth, though, you may walk around the
corner and find yourself confronting a mucker with an axe or
a gun. You may catch a strain of antibiotic-resistant germs.
You may—especially here on the West Coast—run into one
of the little pranks invented by the funny people who treat
sabotage as an amusing hobby. You have absolutely no way
of telling whether that innocuous stranger over there is about
to haul out a weapon and attack you, or blow a disease your
way, or explode an incendiary bomb in your disposall tube.

"In short, life on the Moon is much more like Bushman
society prior to European contamination, or the basal culture
of the Zuni, than it is like life here in California or Moscow
or Peking."

(John Brunner, "Stand on Zanzibar" - written in 1968, describing an "If this goes on..." look at what 2010 might be like. He was surprisingly accurate in many respects, although deliberate editing of the human genome to eliminate inherited diseases hasn't gotten quite as far as he predicted... yet.)
AnotherFairportfan

Chad C Mulligan is one of my heroes.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Or... could be nothing more than testing how well cutting cables mucks everything up- how long does it take to get back online, etc. If I had intentions of robbing a bank, say- I would pull this caper in the bank's neighborhood just to see how long the response was so I could get some idea how much time I had to clear out the vaults with the security systems down, seeing as they typically use internet to report after hour intrusions. Should I wish to capture an area, I would down the internet and cell-phone relay stations to dampen in-out communication as well as the hard phonelines. Any time a major communication media is shut down, I always ask 'what strategic materials are in the blackout?' When you see it happening in different locals at different times, SOMEBODY is testing the waters for something BIG, hopeing to shut down communications in several locals to allow...?

"Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel? Is there an 'I' in the puzzle?"

"Two I's."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

While not related to this in any way, but still a similar thing about loss of internet access...

when i was working for Todd Shipyard up here in Seattle, we had work on the aircraft carriers over in Bremerton, WA. on the navy base there, and just after my job was done on one of the carriers and i was shifting back to the Seattle yard, we heard that a subcontractor (Vigor Marine) had cut thru the armored conduit that held the fiber-optic backbone for the entire ships intranet... apparently they were doing some work on the fuel piping nearby and the worker that actually did the cut was unsure if it was the correct pipe, so he called his lead-man. cool so far... when the lead got there he flat out told the guy to "it's the bloody correct pipe, now quit slacking off, and cut the pipe right here, right now... or you're fired"... the guy obviously didn't want to get fired, so he cut... yep... it was the wrong pipe... at last i heard, it was a 13 MILLION dollar job to re-run all the fiber that went thru that conduit... AND that the lead-man was being investigated for SABOTAGE...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:Or... could be nothing more than testing how well cutting cables mucks everything up- how long does it take to get back online, etc. If I had intentions of robbing a bank, say- I would pull this caper in the bank's neighborhood just to see how long the response was so I could get some idea how much time I had to clear out the vaults with the security systems down, seeing as they typically use internet to report after hour intrusions. Should I wish to capture an area, I would down the internet and cell-phone relay stations to dampen in-out communication as well as the hard phonelines. Any time a major communication media is shut down, I always ask 'what strategic materials are in the blackout?' When you see it happening in different locals at different times, SOMEBODY is testing the waters for something BIG, hopeing to shut down communications in several locals to allow...?

"Two I's."
"An 'S'?"

"Two 'S's"

"I'd like to solve,"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:

"Two I's."
"An 'S'?"

"Two 'S's"

"I'd like to solve,"
huh... for the life of me i couldn't figure out how you guys kept coming up with TWO "I"'s in CIA..
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

scantrontb wrote:huh... for the life of me i couldn't figure out how you guys kept coming up with TWO "I"'s in CIA..
Now why would the Culinary Institute of America want to do that?
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Warrl wrote:
scantrontb wrote:huh... for the life of me i couldn't figure out how you guys kept coming up with TWO "I"'s in CIA..
Now why would the Culinary Institute of America want to do that?
jealousy i guess... Possibly because the "Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts" in California was getting more registrations, so to retaliate they wanted to do a DDOS on their website... but they got the parameters wrong?
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:

"Two I's."
"An 'S'?"

"Two 'S's"

"I'd like to solve,"
completely unrelated link http://drakefenwick.deviantart.com/art/Trekin-394410985
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones