Schtupid Email Scams

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by TazManiac » Thu May 09, 2019 12:43 am

Atomic wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:41 pm
... Lots of people have never seen snow, and don't know what number is down on a dice roll of 8 with 5 and 3 showing.
Well, it's a big planet and lots of people haven't seen snow.
Truth is, out here in arid California, you need to really be up in the Sierra Nevadas to get real Snow (w/ a capital 'S').

That said, I still haven't tried to puzzle out what's the 'down number' in the example, but truthfully you'd need some hands on time w/ dice, and Whats Up when What Else is Down brought to your attention (the further assumption being that all dice have the same number orientation... do they?). I'm now going to be assuming they do...

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6796
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Dave » Thu May 09, 2019 12:55 am

TazManiac wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 12:43 am
but truthfully you'd need some hands on time w/ dice, and Whats Up when What Else is Down brought to your attention (the further assumption being that all dice have the same number orientation... do they?). I'm now going to be assuming they do...
No, they don't, but the orientation Atomic was implying is, indeed, by far the commonest convention in traditional European and American six-sided dice.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by TazManiac » Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am

(wait; if 'Five & Three are UP, does it follow that 'Three & Five' are DOWN?) see?, now I'm thinking about it, I had been OK not trying to puzzle it out...

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 6796
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Dave » Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 am

TazManiac wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am
(wait; if 'Five & Three are UP, does it follow that 'Three & Five' are DOWN?) see?, now I'm thinking about it, I had been OK not trying to puzzle it out...
And we know what comes of considering dicey propositions just before bedtime...

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by TazManiac » Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 am

Dave wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 am
TazManiac wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am
(wait; if 'Five & Three are UP, does it follow that 'Three & Five' are DOWN?) see?, now I'm thinking about it, I had been OK not trying to puzzle it out...
And we know what comes of considering dicey propositions just before bedtime...
Both the Sister-in-law AND the Niece said tonight: "You have to finish off the Cake left in the Fridge"... Mans gotta do what a Mans gotta do.

User avatar
GlytchMeister
Posts: 3798
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:52 pm
Location: Central Illinois
Contact:

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by GlytchMeister » Thu May 09, 2019 3:33 am

...wait do people seriously use the down numbers in games or something or is this just a random trick that can be done with standardized dice?

I’ve never even thought about “what number is on the bottom is this number is on top”, nor have I ever heard of such a concept from someone else until now.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA
Contact:

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Atomic » Thu May 09, 2019 7:03 am

Drilled dice, where the number spots are recessed holes in the surface, are not "fair" dice because the weight of material removed (usually plastic) is not even on each side. The one spot has 1/6 the weight removed on the six side, for example, making it slightly "loaded".

That said, professional, fair dice are solid with painted/inked spots on each side. And (drum roll please), the total of spots on opposite sides always equal Seven!

So, an 8, 3 and 5 showing, means 4 and 2 are down respectively.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

Warrl
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Warrl » Fri May 10, 2019 2:35 am

TazManiac wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 am
(wait; if 'Five & Three are UP, does it follow that 'Three & Five' are DOWN?) see?, now I'm thinking about it, I had been OK not trying to puzzle it out...
Assuming standard dice, if five and three are up then two and four are down. (Any side, plus the opposite side, equals 7.)

Typeminer
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Typeminer » Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 pm

I knew opposite sides all equaled the same number. But I was thinking it was 6.

Goes to show, ya don't ever know . . . . :?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

User avatar
Atomic
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 am
Location: Central PA
Contact:

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Atomic » Sat May 11, 2019 12:00 am

The Wapsi Square Forum -- advancing the sum total knowledge of civilization one factoid at a time!

Come for the boobs, stay for the enlightenment.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff

Warrl
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Warrl » Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 am

Typeminer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 pm
I knew opposite sides all equaled the same number. But I was thinking it was 6.
That actually wouldn't work - what goes on the side opposite the 3?

The numbers 1 to 6 total 21. There are three pairs of opposite sides on a cube, so if each pair is going to have the same total it must be 7.

Typeminer
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:34 pm
Location: Pennsylbama, between Philly and Pittsburgh

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Typeminer » Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 am

Warrl wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 am
Typeminer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 pm
I knew opposite sides all equaled the same number. But I was thinking it was 6.
That actually wouldn't work - what goes on the side opposite the 3?

The numbers 1 to 6 total 21. There are three pairs of opposite sides on a cube, so if each pair is going to have the same total it must be 7.
Quite logical.

There's a reason I flunked differential equations. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3233
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by TazManiac » Sun May 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks Your Purchase ( Ultimate Coin Pack ) Price : $102.99 In App Store [ May 15 2019]

Apple Inc <app-securesummaryinformationsecure.xc-rcx88237838id-mail@khasasi-siamanu.org>

Thank you for making a Purchase on the App Store.

Please check the Payment notification on the PDF below.
1 File133.9kBAttachments cannot be downloaded.

Document_Receipt_MNKS98419821_2.pdf134kB
OK, so, I don't think these guys are trying very hard anymore...

Alkarii
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Alkarii » Sun May 19, 2019 4:34 pm

Typeminer wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:34 am
Warrl wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:34 am
Typeminer wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:01 pm
I knew opposite sides all equaled the same number. But I was thinking it was 6.
That actually wouldn't work - what goes on the side opposite the 3?

The numbers 1 to 6 total 21. There are three pairs of opposite sides on a cube, so if each pair is going to have the same total it must be 7.
Quite logical.

There's a reason I flunked differential equations. :mrgreen:
I'd never paid much attention to that. I'd just randomly decided to memorize what numbers were opposite each other on a six-sided die, and found it to always be one more than the total number of faces on the die.

I'm not quite sure, but I think the same is true with a d20. There's certain kinds of dice where that doesn't hold true, though.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.

Warrl
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Warrl » Sun May 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm not quite sure, but I think the same is true with a d20. There's certain kinds of dice where that doesn't hold true, though.
We used to have some six-sided dice where, if you picked the correct two of the four, you were guaranteed to always roll 7 or 11. On one of those two the opposite-sides total was 6, and on the other it was 12.

(We bought them as a gag gift and then kept on forgetting to deliver them. I finally threw them away, still in the unopened package.)

Determining the opposite-sides total on the most common shape of 4-sided dice, is left as an exercise to the reader. Just don't get mad, throw the things on the floor, and stomp away. For that matter, if someone throws them on the floor, walk very carefully until they are found and picked up.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Schtupid Email Scams

Post by Bookworm » Sat May 25, 2019 8:43 pm

Warrl wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:28 pm
I'm not quite sure, but I think the same is true with a d20. There's certain kinds of dice where that doesn't hold true, though.
We used to have some six-sided dice where, if you picked the correct two of the four, you were guaranteed to always roll 7 or 11. On one of those two the opposite-sides total was 6, and on the other it was 12.

(We bought them as a gag gift and then kept on forgetting to deliver them. I finally threw them away, still in the unopened package.)

Determining the opposite-sides total on the most common shape of 4-sided dice, is left as an exercise to the reader. Just don't get mad, throw the things on the floor, and stomp away. For that matter, if someone throws them on the floor, walk very carefully until they are found and picked up.
They're referred to as "Caltrops"
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Post Reply