BUG OUT! NO DRILL!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: BUG OUT! NO DRILL!

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Home still stands- area still in evacuation mode. Likely to get through without issue. Lost three local firefighters, one of them I knew. All flags at half-mast. It is surmised that the three deaths is why the feds got involved- state still hasn't acted. Typical. My eldest is up in Oroville, 1.5 hours away, with Aunt and Uncle. Surgeries have been intense, many injuries.
Monday I turn 61- wheee! I'd love to spend it at home...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln... how was the play?"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:"Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln... how was the play?"

...Uh oh. Did your house burn?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

No- there's a previous post I did that was a grumpy, 'poor pitiful me' rant that somehow didn't make the grade... to the best of my knowledge my home still stands.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

For those of you wondering: most of the Pacific Northwest (Washington/northern Idaho/western Montana) is on fire.

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Native Americans burned out undergrowth through forests routinely before white man showed up- John Smith commented on the "civilized, park-like appearance" of the forrests of the Americas before he understood this was the results of native care
Well, those were old-growth, pretty much climax forests, and where you have that and the primary trees are deciduous (as opposed to pines) that develop a canopy, the ground beneath them tends to be clear because of lack of sunlight. If they're oaks, they also somewhat poison the soil for other plants.

When we owned a twenty-acre plot in upstate South Carolina, it was mostly in old woods (probably second growth, but fairly well-established - there were a couple of beeches that were more than three feet in diameter (my memory wants to say four feet, but i could be exaggerating) beside our driveway - and the woods were almost entirely clear of undergrowth for most of the area.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

back in our own home- all is intact. We're supposedly on EVACIII (translation- "SCRAM AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!" ) but a fire that threatens for three days and does nothing (in that given direction) is not a threat. The rest of the county is not so fortunate. Atmosphere outside looks like LA.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Sgt. Howard wrote:back in our own home- all is intact. We're supposedly on EVACIII (translation- "SCRAM AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!" ) but a fire that threatens for three days and does nothing (in that given direction) is not a threat. The rest of the county is not so fortunate. Atmosphere outside looks like LA.
Very glad to hear you made it back and everything is intact.

I live in what is now a flood-prone area. It comes in slow, so time to get things to second floor if necessary.

The "looks like LA" comment takes me back a few years, lived in LA area '65-'71, can recall the days you could cut the air with a knife. Moved to San Antonio, TX in '71, what a difference!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Heh, one of your neighbors had the right idea - and it saved his home.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote:With these wildfires that happen all the time, wouldn't it be cheaper to create some massive fire break or something?
Roads sometimes work as those, especially something like an Interstate. The problem with building big pre-made firebreaks is that you'd have to decide where to put them (imagine the political kerfluffle when it comes to deciding which places should be shielded by them and which shouldn't), then build it and maintain it. And since fires will often easily bypass a firebreak by either going over it with sparks or under it through burning roots and mulch, you'd still need to have fire crews there. Permanent firebreaks can provide a useful place to work from, but chances will be that they'll be in a place that isn't particularly helpful at any given time.

I've helped with getting two big wildfires under control, one in Idaho and one in Mexico. Most of the time you don't actually "fight" the fire, because it's just too big. All you usually do is try to contain it and let it burn itself out. So what the fire crews do is go out there and make impromptu firebreaks wherever it looks like they'll be useful at that particular time.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Heh, one of your neighbors had the right idea - and it saved his home.
Actually, I know John- I've spoken with him about his structure and how he made it. I am working on my own set of modifications to the design.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Heh, one of your neighbors had the right idea - and it saved his home.
Actually, I know John- I've spoken with him about his structure and how he made it. I am working on my own set of modifications to the design.
Some years ago, a guy I knew was trying to work out a process for a "fast-build" version of that sort of structure. His idea involved partially inflating what amounted to a heavy-duty weather balloon on the site, and then spraying on multiple thin layers of a fiber-reinforced concrete. The initial layers were light enough to be supported by the balloon, but would cure up to a rigid shell which would then support the weight of the additional layers.

Doors and windows were to be cut after the shell reached its desired thickness and strength.

I don't know how the project ever turned out... should try to track him down and find out.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I vaguely remember that there is a gentleman somewhere out in these woods with a Boeing 727-100; I wonder if his place survived.

EDIT: Found the place. Never mind, he's in Oregon.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:
Some years ago, a guy I knew was trying to work out a process for a "fast-build" version of that sort of structure. His idea involved partially inflating what amounted to a heavy-duty weather balloon on the site, and then spraying on multiple thin layers of a fiber-reinforced concrete. The initial layers were light enough to be supported by the balloon, but would cure up to a rigid shell which would then support the weight of the additional layers.

Doors and windows were to be cut after the shell reached its desired thickness and strength.

I don't know how the project ever turned out... should try to track him down and find out.

That is pretty much how THIS home was built- John constructed a rubberized canvass inflatable and proceeded from there exactly as described... it went up as he called it 'In Polaroid fashion'.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Science Fiction can, one day, become the expected 'normal'...
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=944

Larry Niven wrote many stories, some of which have entered into the public consciousness, or at least the (techy-nerdy-geeky one anyway).

One of his plot elements was Architectural Coral used in housing construction; you erected a framework, wrapped it inside and out with a bag or membrane, then grew coral inside that followed the framework's shape... Later when you let it dry out, you had, say, foot thick stucco walls to work with.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

To;
LORD GOD, Creator of heaven and earth, ultimate wisdom and compassion, the Almighty.
CC- Wapsi Square Board Index, Off topic discussions, the Main Pub Room-

-a confession of thanks-

Dear LORD-
This makes twice now that you have seen fit to protect my home and my family from disaster from fire... in fact all of Malott is safe, if smokey, from the event. That my home should remain when others are burned, I may never understand. You have promised that none shall be burdened with more than they can bear- and I know I have grumbled on many occasions that I felt your confidence in me was either overestimated or completly misplaced- but that I still have a roof that is intact and a toilet that flushes, lights that turn on and no gaping holes in the walls I truly give thanks. And yes, I remember living in a homeless shelter in 2005- you provided for me then as you do now. Having lived in the San Fransisco Bay area most of my life, I never thought I would own property- yet this address is in my name. Here I will dwell until life departs of me- if you are so willing- and be most satisfied for it. Here I will see my boys grow and live their lives, here Annie and I will enjoy the years you give us, here I will have the joy that has been mine since you dropped a lost set of souls on my doorstep and left me in charge of them... and thank you that you ignored my protests over this matter.

As for me and my house, we shall serve the LORD.

Gregory F. (the Old Sgt.) Howard
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Sarge, I'm glad to see your corner of the world is safe & sound. All the best to you.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I am very, very thankful that you and Annie made it through the fire - literally. Hopefully they have things under control, and the smoke smell will go away (eventually).

Best wishes to my writing partner and his family.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Interesting footnote- Okanogan County has many small communities that amount to seven to twenty homes without a store or post office, isolated from each other. Many of these communities went up in flames, more so than was expected. All have these things in common-
1) the fire that drove them out was suspicious in nature- did not seem related to the actual fire line.
2) sifting through the remains of said homes showed critical absences of valuable goods- electronics, firearms, paintings, vehicles etc.- no, such would not survive a fire, but would leave remains that would tell what they were
3) all communities where this happened, they received 'Level III' warning (LEAVE NOW!!!) from some guy in a white van.

investigators are finding signs of arson- they believe that the perps would start a fire to threaten the houses, raise the alarm, ransack the houses once they were vacated then torch the houses to remove evidence.

The police are unlikely to find them- I have heard that more than a few victims know who they are. They will just disappear...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That is just wrong. With a capital WRONG.