Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

Re: Windows 10

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Trust me, want you want is a non-upgrade, clean install of Ten, not funky 8.x...

(I knooow what you want, truuuust me B]) )
*unintelligible raving*

No, I don't want 10. Ever.
Aaaaaaaargh, but I'm biologically predisposed to fix stuff*,
plus, plus, plus- I'm emotionally inclined to want to make you happy,
and, and, and- I can't help but think it could be, um, better for you....

(Note to self; I think she already uses Linux so there is likely no real need to continue with the 'softening up' preconditioning...)

*(and by 'fixing stuff' I really mean dissect and re-engineer...)

Friday, I just got finished tuning up a room full of WinX based PCs, including two OSX mac minis, and there was Vista, [edit- &Win7], Win8, and Win10 to contend with...
Asus netbook found failed right out of the gate; Broadcom drivers wont enable wifi, even after a purge back to the factory install/reset...

Here's a representative link;
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... efc?page=1

It's currently running Win8.1 from the factory but there are a few peculiarities; its got a x64 main chip but can only deal with a 32bit UEFI Booter,
stuff like that.

It only was wifi for connectivity, besides two USB ports- there is no Ethernet port, etc...

I'm thinking of capturing the OEM OS 's/n' and shoot for a Win10 clean install with the Win8.x wifi drivers, this seems (so far) to be the only way around the problem. (If I actually owned it I'd think to Nuke it from Orbit, it's the only way to be sure...)

I'll let folks know how it turns out.
I use Mint/WinXP Pro SP3 hybrids for my digital art(when I actually am inspired to do much with them). I can run it through 8.1 if I'm feeling inclined to do so, but my libraries are flawless with XP, so I generally don't, plus running in slow renders irritate me(on my laptop, a render took days instead of hours).

Unfortunately the version of my world generator is old, and even though winetricks and Crossover say it's stable, by buddy at Codeweavers says this version I have is still buggy from the data I sent them.

So...for the present, I need a stable disc of 8.1 to recover my hard drive, whch that borked install locked. The UEFI is locked because of the partial install. The only bit of info MS did give me is I need an original 8.1 install disc to recover anything. So...it's off to find a disc. I get to call HP again Monday about it.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Don't it just burn ya? Microsoft insists on the UEFI secure boot mechanism to help keep malware and viruses and self-installing downloads and spyware out of people's systems... and then they push down Windows 10, which seems to have all of those characteristics... and then they bork the upgrade and UEFI locks you out of your own computer.

Surely it's all for your own good. Somehow. :roll:
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Hey, Maya now has an RPM installer. So yes, native linux support for Maya!
DAZ3d now works just fine in WINE as well.

If you haven't played with Blender in a few years, you might want to try it again. They did a complete overhaul on the GUI, and there's an available skin that makes it very similar to a certain other 3d renderer...

Inkscape is, in my opinion, a superior SVG program. This from someone with Autodesk certs. It doesn't do 3d, of course, but I'll be honest, it does most of what you'd like to do with an svg editor. Heck, for small projects, I'd rather use Inkscape than AutoCAD.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Hey, Maya now has an RPM installer. So yes, native linux support for Maya!
DAZ3d now works just fine in WINE as well.

If you haven't played with Blender in a few years, you might want to try it again. They did a complete overhaul on the GUI, and there's an available skin that makes it very similar to a certain other 3d renderer...

Inkscape is, in my opinion, a superior SVG program. This from someone with Autodesk certs. It doesn't do 3d, of course, but I'll be honest, it does most of what you'd like to do with an svg editor. Heck, for small projects, I'd rather use Inkscape than AutoCAD.
Daddy paid a fortune for Photoshop, Vue Infinite and Poser Pro. Until all of my libraries behave in Linux, I need a hybrid machine.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:Don't it just burn ya? Microsoft insists on the UEFI secure boot mechanism to help keep malware and viruses and self-installing downloads and spyware out of people's systems... and then they push down Windows 10, which seems to have all of those characteristics... and then they bork the upgrade and UEFI locks you out of your own computer.

Surely it's all for your own good. Somehow. :roll:
NO... it's for THEIR good... you do realize that once pretty much ALL mainstream motherboards are of a UEFI architecture that windows will be able to completely PREVENT you from loading ANY other OS... that is, without jumping thru massive amounts of ever-narrowing hoops... I'm just wondering when my 3pc's are going to MANDATORY "upgrade" the OS to win10 without me telling them to, because they "pushed" the update... which it STILL does it's "E.T Phones home" crap, even though i tell win to not do squat until "I" tell it to... and don't get me started on those LOVELY and DESCRIPTIVE titles for their patches "this will prevent blah blah, blah" if you want to know More search for the KB number xyz at MS... and THAT'S where they might tell you what they are REALLY installing... but not unless you REALLY search for it...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky; I'll see what I can do...

ScantronB's Avatar matches his perfectly reasonable rant against the 900 lbs Gorilla...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Aside from minor annoyances, the only thing that really bothers me about WinX is the slowness of copying to/from USB drives. It's almost like it's got to do update the index first, THEN copy the file over.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

In the last few versions of Windows, and I'm pretty sure in Windows 10 as well, file indexing is turned on everywhere by default.

I strongly recommend turning it OFF, and then perhaps selectively turning it back on for a few chosen directories. (On my machine, I've actually disabled the service that does it.)

Microsoft's file indexing allows high-speed FULL TEXT searches of the indexed space. That is, the entire contents of files are indexed. Which means that any file copying, file updating, or file deleting is significantly slowed, because the indexes have to be updated too.

So yeah, when you copy to/from USB, there's a lot of indexing going on.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Warrl wrote:I strongly recommend turning it OFF, and then perhaps selectively turning it back on for a few chosen directories. (On my machine, I've actually disabled the service that does it.)

Please Obi Warrl Kandoit! you're our Only Hope!!...

Please tell us the secret service to Kill in order to prevent that infernal thing from sucking up ONE FRICKING GIGABYTE of my bloody machines RAM... i'm dead serious 1024000 KB = one GIG!!! @#$%@#$@#%$ @#$%@~#$%.... Argh!... every day or so when i want to run a game like Fallout 4 or Minecraft i have to go in before hand and kill the search indexer process, but it keeps coming back, ESPECIALLY when i reboot the machine for whatever reason, I've yet to find out which service it is that TELLS IT to start up again.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow... My computer has been behaving just fine.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I disabled it by going to the appropriate control panel. I don't know if it will help with USB copies...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:Please Obi Warrl Kandoit! you're our Only Hope!!...

Please tell us the secret service to Kill in order to prevent that infernal thing from sucking up ONE FRICKING GIGABYTE of my bloody machines RAM... i'm dead serious 1024000 KB = one GIG!!! @#$%@#$@#%$ @#$%@~#$%.... Argh!... every day or so when i want to run a game like Fallout 4 or Minecraft i have to go in before hand and kill the search indexer process, but it keeps coming back, ESPECIALLY when i reboot the machine for whatever reason, I've yet to find out which service it is that TELLS IT to start up again.
Have you tried running msconfig.exe, to see what al the startup programs and services are, to disable those you don't need?
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

scantrontb wrote:
Warrl wrote:I strongly recommend turning it OFF, and then perhaps selectively turning it back on for a few chosen directories. (On my machine, I've actually disabled the service that does it.)
Please tell us the secret service to Kill in order to prevent that infernal thing from sucking up ONE FRICKING GIGABYTE of my bloody machines RAM... i'm dead serious 1024000 KB = one GIG!!!
Win8.1...

ctrl-alt-del
Task Manager
Services (tab)
Open Services (icon near bottom left)
click the Name column-header to get the things sorted usefully
find "Windows Search" in that column
right-click on it
Properties
Stop (if it's running, which it probably is)
change Startup Type to Disabled
click OK

At some point in that process you:
* may (should) have to provide administrator authority
* have to agree that it's okay to shut down the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", which apparently is dependent on this service for some reason
* might get the same sort of notice about the "Work Folders" service - I didn't.

----

The less drastic approach:
Windows Explorer
for each drive (and if you have multiple USB storage devices, each one counts even if they share a drive letter)
- right-click
- select Properties
- at the bottom of the "General" tab look to see if "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed as well as file properties".
- If it is, uncheck it
- click OK,
- allow the change to apply to files and subfolders.

You WILL have to provide administrator authority, it WILL take a while on a large drive, and there are files it can't change the setting on because they are in use - click "ignore all".

Then think about whether there are any specific folders that you might like to have full-text indexing on. Right-click on each of those folders, select Properties, click Advanced, put the checkmark in, click OK a couple times, and decide whether or not to allow the change to propagate into subfolders. This again can take a while, but not nearly as long as for the entire drive.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Warrl wrote: * have to agree that it's okay to shut down the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", which apparently is dependent on this service for some reason
* might get the same sort of notice about the "Work Folders" service - I didn't.
win 7, but it's pretty much the same path...

THAT'S the service!!! [Kermit hand waving]YEAH!! [/Kermit hand waving] And there was MUCH Rejoicing!!!

I'm good to go with getting into task manager then the services tab to kill stuff, because every time i tried to kill just the search, it would restart itself because of the WMPNSS, it's just i couldn't figure out WHICH service to kill. i didn't want to risk borking my OS so that it couldn't run at all... i don't really have a need for full text searching for stuff on my HDD AT ALL, and i rarely use our home-networked printer (if the WMPNSS has anything to do with that?) and i usually don't do file sharing between computers on the network (other than Minecraft mod files), so i REALLY don't think I'll need it, but now i know which one to try to kill, that should work...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

scantrontb wrote:
Warrl wrote: * have to agree that it's okay to shut down the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service", which apparently is dependent on this service for some reason
win 7, but it's pretty much the same path...

THAT'S the service!!! [Kermit hand waving]YEAH!! [/Kermit hand waving] And there was MUCH Rejoicing!!!

I'm good to go with getting into task manager then the services tab to kill stuff, because every time i tried to kill just the search, it would restart itself because of the WMPNSS, it's just i couldn't figure out WHICH service to kill. i didn't want to risk borking my OS so that it couldn't run at all... i don't really have a need for full text searching for stuff on my HDD AT ALL, and i rarely use our home-networked printer (if the WMPNSS has anything to do with that?) and i usually don't do file sharing between computers on the network (other than Minecraft mod files), so i REALLY don't think I'll need it, but now i know which one to try to kill, that should work...
Dropbox for file sharing like that...free and works like a dream. Shneekey did that when my kiddo and Nephew were playing MC. Easy way to get the mod packs and avoid hackerpacks.

--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

DinkyInky wrote:Dropbox for file sharing like that...free and works like a dream. Shneekey did that when my kiddo and Nephew were playing MC. Easy way to get the mod packs and avoid hackerpacks.
ShneekeyCraft is now up on the ATLauncher as a public pack for download.

There's a TON of really bad sites that claim they have MC mods which are just chock-full of viruses. Basically, unless it is from either the mod author's page directly, from CurseForge, or from a forum post by the author... it is NOT legitimate, don't use it. It is one of the major reasons why I am such in favor of launchers for new users, you never have to worry about it as long as you have a legitimate launcher (FTB and ATLauncher being the two primary, technic I think is still bumming around somewhere near 4chan's level of maturity).
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Dropbox for file sharing like that...free and works like a dream. Shneekey did that when my kiddo and Nephew were playing MC. Easy way to get the mod packs and avoid hackerpacks.
ShneekeyCraft is now up on the ATLauncher as a public pack for download.

There's a TON of really bad sites that claim they have MC mods which are just chock-full of viruses. Basically, unless it is from either the mod author's page directly, from CurseForge, or from a forum post by the author... it is NOT legitimate, don't use it. It is one of the major reasons why I am such in favor of launchers for new users, you never have to worry about it as long as you have a legitimate launcher (FTB and ATLauncher being the two primary, technic I think is still bumming around somewhere near 4chan's level of maturity).
Thanks. I never did go there since you always sent them direct, but not everyone is so fortunate.

I really need to fix his game machine...

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

I've got a DB account for stuff like Kickstarter's and such that want to download huge sized files, etc... but for a few mod files that I'm too lazy to log in from the second computer "just" to download the SAME files AGAIN... nah, too much hassle and time UPloading then re-DOWNloading it, instead i'll just share the MC folder and copy/paste the files from one pc to the next, and with the GB ethernet jacks in the two pc's AND the router/switch it goes super fast. as for the Launchers, yeah, i use the old FTB launcher and/or the newer Curse launcher that the FTB one evolved into for that, though i've dabbled a tiny bit with MultiMC 5 as well... as for the mods and mod packs: yeah i know what you mean about hacker-packs/ virus's, i always use the ones on those two launchers or from the dev directly from wherever they host it.... never had a problem from that... though it's annoying that some mods never get updated (Xycraft) or are STILL buggy even when they do update... blargh...
ShneekeyTheLost

scantrontb wrote:
I've got a DB account for stuff like Kickstarter's and such that want to download huge sized files, etc... but for a few mod files that I'm too lazy to log in from the second computer "just" to download the SAME files AGAIN... nah, too much hassle and time UPloading then re-DOWNloading it, instead i'll just share the MC folder and copy/paste the files from one pc to the next, and with the GB ethernet jacks in the two pc's AND the router/switch it goes super fast. as for the Launchers, yeah, i use the old FTB launcher and/or the newer Curse launcher that the FTB one evolved into for that, though i've dabbled a tiny bit with MultiMC 5 as well... as for the mods and mod packs: yeah i know what you mean about hacker-packs/ virus's, i always use the ones on those two launchers or from the dev directly from wherever they host it.... never had a problem from that... though it's annoying that some mods never get updated (Xycraft) or are STILL buggy even when they do update... blargh...
I really dislike the curse launcher, mostly because it is the *ONLY* launcher not linux compatible. Try the ATLauncher. You won't regret it. I know the launcher team personally, they're good people.

Heck, try ShneekeyCraft if you want. It's a lite pack with a good balance of tech and magic. I'm explicitly NOT updating Botania because I don't agree with the mod author's views on certain topics. I'm about to start using a third-party fork of Botania, but I'm getting into some sticky woods concerning distribution rights with it.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Indexing turn-off didn't do it. :(