Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: Windows 10

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Exited Insider, disabled telemetry.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Also switched back to a local account.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Update on the regedit fixes for Defender and telemetry:
CCleaner and Glary don't accidentally kill those registry entries. They're conveniently persistent, which is nice.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think I may have found the problem. A WU-issued fix from earlier this year corrupted two files, both with the .json extension. There is a very specific fix that I've found, and (after I save my WinTen install to a USB drive, using Media Creation Tool) I will run it, then do another sfc run to check it.

If it's fixed... I think I'll do another "save" of my system with Macrium, after deleting the old partition, then try the third attempt at installing WinTen - this time from my USB drive.

And THEN... hopefully I will have Windows 10 on this silly machine.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:I think I may have found the problem. A WU-issued fix from earlier this year corrupted two files, both with the .json extension. There is a very specific fix that I've found, and (after I save my WinTen install to a USB drive, using Media Creation Tool) I will run it, then do another sfc run to check it.

If it's fixed... I think I'll do another "save" of my system with Macrium, after deleting the old partition, then try the third attempt at installing WinTen - this time from my USB drive.

And THEN... hopefully I will have Windows 10 on this silly machine.
WU?
Not something like WD (May that program also die in a fire forever)?
WD was some program associated with my mom's backup external hard drive, and it is really freaking crappy. And it's sticky, like macaffee.
I... hate... programs that don't uninstall easily.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Windows Update. Yes, a program that MICROSOFT put out to "fix" Windows, specifically the "Windows Unified Telemetry Client".

KB3068708 appears to be the culprit.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It turns out, the REAL culprit was an earlier update, KB3022345, that was causing the issues with System File Checker and the two JSON files. I uninstalled the update, backed up my Win7 environment using Macrium, then initiated the Windows Ten Upgrade.

And, well... I'm posting, aren't I? ;)

(happy dance, happy dance, happy dance!)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Blimey.
I wouldn't know how to diagnose something like that. Glad you got it figured out.

In other news:
I find myself using my laptop more and more often than I was originally, just for whatever. During windows 8, there were several periods where it sat unused in my backpack for weeks.
I have a sneaking suspicion that is no longer going to be the case.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I had to stop and thing how long it's been since I've had to do something like this... I think it was when I purchased this machine back in 2011, because it had Win 7 on it. The transition from XP to Win7 wasn't that much, though, because I got to skip 2K and Vista (shudder).
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

GlytchMeister wrote: Revo Uninstaller: if you want to kill a stubborn program like Macafee, use this. It hunts down any remnants of programs left behind by their native uninstallers (use as needed)
I like Revo Uninstaller (Free) and used it a lot, until I upgraded from XP to W7 64 bit and found the free version of Revo Uninstaller doesn't 'see' 64 bit programs and can't uninstall them :(

In my case, the PortableAppsrelease of IObit Uninstaller (Free) (HERE) seems to be an acceptable alternative :)
And "is packaged for portable use with permission from IObit"

The regular version IObit Uninstaller (Free) is probably fine, but I'm a bit OCD about using portable versions of programs if I can, and I've not got any popup/offer for any other IObit programs while using the PortableApps release :)
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Huh? I've been running 64 bit W7 since it came out, and using Revo Free, and i've never hit anything it can't handle.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

I'm guessing you don't install any 64 bit versions of programs? To be honest, I don't have too many myself.

from the comparison table at http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

only the Professional version of Revo Uninstaller has "Full 64-bit compatibility - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 "

I do have the 64 bit version of Sandboxie (free) installed. Revo Uninstaller doesn't see it and would be unable to install it.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Grantwhy wrote:I'm guessing you don't install any 64 bit versions of programs? To be honest, I don't have too many myself.

from the comparison table at http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

only the Professional version of Revo Uninstaller has "Full 64-bit compatibility - Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 "

I do have the 64 bit version of Sandboxie (free) installed. Revo Uninstaller doesn't see it and would be unable to install it.
I install whatever is available - 32 or 64 bit.

I must have just not noticed and never tried to use it on anything that was 64.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Ok, I have a new question for everyone:

My computer won't stay hibernating. It turns itself back on.

This is rather inconvenient, especially since I use hibernate to save the battery while I'm traveling.

What is doing this and how do I kill it?
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Ok, I have a new question for everyone:

My computer won't stay hibernating. It turns itself back on.

This is rather inconvenient, especially since I use hibernate to save the battery while I'm traveling.

What is doing this and how do I kill it?
There are a bunch of things which can bring a PC out of hibernation... pushing various buttons (including keyboard keys), activity on USB, activity on the network, etc. Some of these are prone to false operation... keyboard presses, or a momentary partial opening of the lid (as seen by the lid sensor) can easily occur if a laptop is being carried around, jostled, etc.

First thing I'd suggest doing is checking the BIOS settings, and also the Windows power-management settings. In both cases you'll probably a bunch of controls over the suspend-and-resume behavior.

I'd suggest turning off the "wake on mouse" and "wake on keyboard keypress" options, network-activity wakeup, wakeup-on-lid-opening, and so forth. If you can get it configured to the point where only a press on the power button triggers the wakeup, then you'll have eliminated most of the possible causes of an unwanted awakening.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

This blog has some tips.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm pretty sure you already know, but I just wanna clarify: as I understand it, opening the lid, moving the mouse, or pressing anything other than the power button itself shouldn't bring my laptop out if hibernation. That happens when it's "sleeping."
Sleeping is just a low-power state.
Hibernation is saving the session to the hard drive and turning the computer completely off.

Before the upgrade, I had to press the power button itself to end hibernation, whereas a stiff breeze could wake the laptop up from sleeping.

It's super late and I gotta get up early to figure out what's up with the FrankenStratus, so I'll look at the links later. Thanks.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

From what I understand, WinTen does a lot of resetting defaults from previous operating systems. If you have to, search for power settings in the "Settings" app (fka Control Panel).
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

One setting you should take care of ASAP is disabling fast booting or else you could end up completely screwed if Windows won't boot and you have to boot into safe mode. But even if you do so you may still be screwed.
"Windows 8 has a problem – it really can boot up too quickly. So quickly, in fact, that there is no longer time for anything to interrupt boot. When you turn on a Windows 8 PC, there's no longer long enough to detect keystrokes like F2 or F8, much less time to read a message such as "Press F2 for Setup." For the first time in decades, you will no longer be able to interrupt boot and tell your PC to do anything different than what it was already expecting to do."

If you have modern PC with a UEFI BIOS and a fast SSD drive, there's no way you can interrupt the boot procedure with your keypresses. On older PCs, with a classic BIOS and no SSD drive, pressing these keys might still work though.
I swear if I win the lottery ReactOS will be getting a big donation from me.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AnotherFairportfan

I don't know what to do on W8, but on W10, it's not that it's too fast - the advanced boot menu is disabled by default. (Apparently this was the W8 situation, i see after googling.)

Easy enough to fix:
Enable the Windows Boot Manager screen by entering the following commands into an elevated CMD prompt:

Code: Select all

BCDEDIT  /set  {bootmgr}  displaybootmenu  yes
BCDEDIT  /timeout  5
For an elevated prompt (in W10, anyway) press WIN-X