Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Windows 10

Post by jwhouk »

SCREEN FLASH ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:

Restoring back to 7 until I can figure out possible driver issues.

:cry:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:SCREEN FLASH ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:evil:

Restoring back to 7 until I can figure out possible driver issues.

:cry:
Woah woah woah! Hold your horses there!
All I had to do was wait and reboot.
Bah, he's already looking at a different forum.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I was posting on my iPad, not on said machine.

:(
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I wrote:Waterfox freaked out a couple times, as did the graphics, which I assume was caused by drivers being installed and whatnot. When I saw my screen black out and glitch, I walked away and just let the computer settle for a while.
Once I came back, Waterfox is working like a champ, playing pandora constantly without interruptions (yay wifi), and the screen hasn't freaked again so far.
But while we are on the topic of drivers, I do have one complaint: the trackpad doesn't work. So I went into device manager and checked for updates to the corresponding driver. None were found, but windows did tell me to reboot anyway.
So that's what's happening now.

I shall return with news of how my laptop is behaving after the first restart.
I said the drivers were weird for a while. I'm doin' my best, man. :?
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What I don't think you may have got was, I couldn't even get the desktop to show up. The screen just kept blinking, with the start bar just with the Windows, Search and Task view icons visible. Nothing on my desktop.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:What I don't think you may have got was, I couldn't even get the desktop to show up. The screen just kept blinking, with the start bar just with the Windows, Search and Task view icons visible. Nothing on my desktop.
HMMMM.
It seems you may have gotten yourself into quite a pickle there. That's a far more substantial bug than any I got.
Mine were pretty trippy though. It was like several squares within the screen were cut out and mixed up before being displayed. Still, nothing some time and a reboot didn't take care of.
Alas, according to your PM, you pulled the trigger already.

I think our approaches are different: you are wary and willing to go fully nuclear on W10 at the first sign of trouble.
I, due to the fact that W10 revived my idiotic wifi adapter, am not so trigger-happy.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

And, likely, in about 10-15 minutes, you will either hear me rejoicing or screaming so loud you can hear me in Chicago.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:And, likely, in about 10-15 minutes, you will either hear me rejoicing or screaming so loud you can hear me in Chicago.
This is the part of fixing computers that reminds me of the 4+ minutes of Blackout on Apollo 13.
Lethal levels of suspense. Like, "it will show up in the toxicology report from the morgue." Cause of death: Lethal dose of Suspense.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Right.

So, I kind of expected Microsoft to want to know everything about me. But I didn't think I'd have to dig through regedit to actually turn off some of that crap. So that was an unpleasant surprise.
Thanks to Shadowinthelight for liking to this, which, ignoring the gratuitous Nazi pictures, points out a bunch of privacy infractions and other such crap.
Two links I shall provide to help:
(Hopefully) Turns off the Telemetry... an option that is supposedly only available to W10-Enterprise.
Kills Windows Defender... PERMANENTLY... because otherwise it can turn itself on after just fifteen minutes.

Unfortunately, this means I had to kill Cortana. But I'm ok with that, if it means Microsoft isn't all up in mah business.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Suddenly, a wild WINDOWS 7 appears!

JWHOUK uses MACRIUM REFLECT!!!

It's Super Effective!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:Suddenly, a wild WINDOWS 7 appears!

JWHOUK uses MACRIUM REFLECT!!!

It's Super Effective!
Good. Now let's hope Microsoft will let you upgrade a second time.
And that it works.
And that you can update all your drivers without frying something.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It says its available... but I'm having a biatch of a time trying to find driver updates - and I don't want to pay through the nose for some driver finder software.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yo ho, yo ho... And really bad eggs...
*walks away, whistling innocently*
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sorry, I don't live in Pittsburgh.

I did, however, find updated Intel drivers, so hopefully that's what the issue was. I am making attempt #2 at installing WinX on the main desktop.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It wasn't the issue.

Still getting the flashing.

WTH.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:It wasn't the issue.

WTH.
That's sounding as if it may not be the video drivers. Rather, the Windows windowing/desktop system may be thrashing... the desktop-managing process aborting, restarting, drawing, aborting, restarting, and so forth.

Can you boot up in safe mode, and then run the sorts of various cleanup utilities Glytchmeister was talking about? Check for "toolbars" or other extensions with might be incompatible with Windows 10?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

My maintenance program set - I run them in this order:

PC Decrapifier: it's like TP for your PC. Awesome for killing bloatware (usually one time use)

Revo Uninstaller: if you want to kill a stubborn program like Macafee, use this. It hunts down any remnants of programs left behind by their native uninstallers (use as needed)

CCleaner: use for both the disk cleaner and the registry cleaner and the startup manager (use advanced mode if you wanna get grease on your hands) (use weekly, and repeat until nothing new comes up in the reports)

Glary Utilities: select everything except disk repair, go into settings and turn on any extras you want) (use weekly)

Malwarebytes anti malware: just make it go, I don't remember ever fiddling with any settings (use weekly)

Your Antiviral Program of Choice: full computer scan, spare nothing and take no prisoners (use weekly)

Auslogics Disk Defrag: Use the "Defrag and Optimize" option (also has a separate algorithm for SSD's) (use weekly)

I also run all of the weeklys after doing anything to my computer (install, uninstall, update, etc)

The best part about all of these is they're all free.

I also have a background real time protection program called "Malwarebytes anti-exploit" which can protect against zero-day exploits and stuff. Pretty neat.

And finally, I use Ninite to update a ton of my programs all at once. Really makes things nice and convenient. Just double-click and it'll update like, 30 programs. And it seems to do so faster than their native updaters. iTunes is way faster at updating through ninite than the Apple Software Update program.
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:It wasn't the issue.

WTH.
That's sounding as if it may not be the video drivers. Rather, the Windows windowing/desktop system may be thrashing... the desktop-managing process aborting, restarting, drawing, aborting, restarting, and so forth.

Can you boot up in safe mode, and then run the sorts of various cleanup utilities Glytchmeister was talking about? Check for "toolbars" or other extensions with might be incompatible with Windows 10?
No. Not in W10, until you've been able to boot successfully at least yet and reset the start options.

Question for JW: Do you have Nvidia graphics? You may be in trouble.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

GlytchMeister wrote:Right.
Two links I shall provide to help:
(Hopefully) Turns off the Telemetry... an option that is supposedly only available to W10-Enterprise.
Kills Windows Defender... PERMANENTLY... because otherwise it can turn itself on after just fifteen minutes.

Unfortunately, this means I had to kill Cortana. But I'm ok with that, if it means Microsoft isn't all up in mah business.
Windows Defender turns off automatically - and stays off - when you install a different real-time AV program like AVG or Avast!

As to telemetry, since i'm still (officially) in the Insider program, i can't do anything about that.

I need to exit Insiders, i think.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

What I have decided to do - for right now, since I am EXHAUSTED from not getting sleep - is simply restoring my puter back to 7, then doing some looking around to see what's going on with the flash issue.

Dave: It's running Intel graphics (since it has a Duo Core 2 Processor), so I don't think that's a problem.

I do think I need to remove a few things - and I definitely think Glary is going to be installed on it to do some de-crapifying.

Right now it's wait for the restore, throw some things back on there, then move on.