Windows 10

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: Windows 10

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:34 pm "Interface"?

Classic Shell fixes that - if you looked at my desktop or my MS Surface, it would likely take you a second or so to realise it's Windows 10, not W7...
I've heard about Classic Shell before, just haven't had time to look into it.

I still don't like the way MS does things, though... But since it is highly unlikely that I'll buy anything else new that has Win 10 on it (I built my current computer from scratch, and intend to do so again, whenever I finally upgrade to a new one...), this tablet is probably the only copy of Win 10 I'll have for a long time. So I'll keep it, to familiarize myself with Win 10 in order to be able to help any of my friends who would need my help with it. As for my next computer, I'll take the Win 7 hard drive from the current one to put into the new one, for what few programs I need Windows for (MS Office to program a MS Access database for a friend, and ZOOM, for videoconferencing - they have a Linux version, but I can't share my screen with the Linux version, only the Windows version), and install some version of Linux as my daily driver.

[Edit]
I just went to http://classicshell.net/, where it says that development stopped on Classic Shell on Dec. 3, 2017. Do you know if someone else has picked up the flame? I would worry that newer versions of Win 10 might break Classic Shell, eventually...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

No idea if CS has been picked up; there are other similar packages, I believe.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

btw- Microsoft has gotten into the habit of putting out two 'plateau' updates to Windows 10 each year, they've been called 'Creators' Update' up til just recently.

It's a multi-Gig rewrite of a lot of the core OS and has been traditionally staggered in terms of systems that qualify for the the install.

Last year the Fall Creators Update was put out, late, found to have intolerable bugs (data deletion anyone?) and rescinded in favor of an updated, revised 'update'.

The naming convention has been based on the Year and Month of release (another thing they 'stole' from other Oses...)

Last Fall's update makes your Win10 OS into ver 1809, it's likely 1803 right now, notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat-
(we're not going to mention it's almost time for 1903, but I won't digress.)

If you want to Manually push the most recent big chunk you can download this small util:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -assistant

and it will then download all those Gigabytes of new code to your system.

hth,
One Taz of Many
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

One caveat about Classic Shell. For a number of things, you still have to use the gear from the bottom right hand option menu. Microsoft actually disabled some things from 'Control Panel', and a few other things are crippled.

Otherwise, yes, it's the best fix for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
AnotherFairportfan

Bookworm wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:26 pm One caveat about Classic Shell. For a number of things, you still have to use the gear from the bottom right hand option menu. Microsoft actually disabled some things from 'Control Panel', and a few other things are crippled.

Otherwise, yes, it's the best fix for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.
yup
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 pmThe naming convention has been based on the Year and Month of release (another thing they 'stole' from other Oses...)

Last Fall's update makes your Win10 OS into ver 1809, it's likely 1803 right now, notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat-
I was reading that they're changing that...
AnotherFairportfan

Windows 10 with Classic Shell:
x screen1.jpg
x screen1.jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
x screen2.jpg
x screen2.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 11463 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:46 pm
TazManiac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:50 pmThe naming convention has been based on the Year and Month of release (another thing they 'stole' from other Oses...)

I was reading that they're changing that...
I'm not at all Surprised:

- It's Microsoft after all, for some many previous reasons

- They don't seem able to keep to the previously established schedule expectation...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

btw- I was reading an article re: the new WPA3 (Ars Technica article), which lead me hither and yon before somebody in a Reddit forum posted this corroborating link to xkcd as, well, a form of 'cite'...

https://xkcd.com/936/

As I type this I have an open tab in crypto.stackexchange.com... Who needs KnowYerMemes for getting lost down the Rabbit Hole anyway?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Yes - banks and other companies don't actually let mathematicians and theoreticians give them information on how to perform cryptography. Instead, they listen to criminologists and marketers.

My wireless password, for example, is an entire line from a Shakespeare play. Missing one word.

it's not going to be randomly guessed any time soon.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I’d love to share my technique for a password but this is a public forum. Bookworm’s is pretty damn good, though.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

GlytchMeister wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 pm Great balls of fire, why are you people having so much trouble with Windows 10???

I'm loving it. Not only is it working flawlessly, it fixed my computer!

I'm beginning to wonder if there's something going horribly wrong with my laptop but I just haven't noticed it...
LITTLE DID I KNOW

That weird dll problem with the video driver, and the strange video glitch when I first installed... RETURNED. WITH A VENGEANCE.

This happened a while ago and the resurrection of this thread reminded me I should probably post about it here.

Screen went black, while external monitors were fine. just like AmriloJim.

Two shop visits and much troubleshooting later, and I still had a broken laptop, but I ended up trying Linux Mint.

Which works.

Kinda.

I suspect there’s something janky going on with the Nvidia video card, because the Linux nouveau video driver works fine but Linux keeps saying the Nvidia blabbidy blah driver is recommended. It took several tries to actually get it to install the nvidia driver... and each time, the end result ended up being “reinstall Linux from the thumb drive.” The last iteration was spectacular. Video display glitches up the wazoo.

So I think, because the nouveau driver seems to be one of those “works with anything” drivers, it’s “making due” with a half-dead Nvidia graphics driver, somehow.

Considering most laptop video cards are not replaceable due to integration with the motherboard or whatever, I think I’m probably screwed. I have a $1000 gaming laptop that I can probably not trust to remain functional while editing or using anything important, like homework or resumes, and the nouveau driver on the undead card probably can’t handle games.

I’m going to keep it because its still $1000 of Tech and if nothing else I might be able to salvage bits of it for later machines or something.

So... yeah. Add that to my list of shit to buy in the fantasy future where I have money, after “a reliable car” and “an apartment”. :/
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:15 am My wireless password, for example, is an entire line from a Shakespeare play. Missing one word.

it's not going to be randomly guessed any time soon.
"Qualitymercyisnotstrained". Got it. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 amI’m going to keep it because its still $1000 of Tech and if nothing else I might be able to salvage bits of it for later machines or something.
This laptop came with 8G RAM and a 120G SSD. And free slots in the case. So I gutted the old one. This one now has 12G RAM and two SSDs, 120G and 250G.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

GlytchMeister wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 am <snip>
That weird dll problem with the video driver, and the strange video glitch when I first installed... RETURNED. WITH A VENGEANCE.

This happened a while ago and the resurrection of this thread reminded me I should probably post about it here.
G-Man, please review my latest question for you over Here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3518