How'd you find WS? (secretly & slightly on-topic)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

mariotunic

How'd you find WS? (secretly & slightly on-topic)

Post by mariotunic »

How'd you find Wapsi Square?

I'm also curious exactly how universal WS is. What kind of person are you stranger, and what kind of things are you into?
Last edited by mariotunic on Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendship. Trust. Desire. Hatred. You are all FLAWED. You carry TOO many unnecessary burdens. Only. One. Thing. Absolute devotion to him should be ALL you need. IF YOU CANNOT BE A PAWN, THEN YOU DIE HERE, TOO!
Leak

Re: How'd you find WS? (secretly & slightly on-topic)

Post by Leak »

I'm not really sure anymore how I found Wapsi Square since it's been so long - must've been a banner or a link off another site.

As for where I'm from... *points to below avatar*
mariotunic

Post by mariotunic »

Actually yea, it's been a while, I don't quite remember either... it was probably just one more comic I decided to give a try and it rocked.

Ooh, I forgot about the location available underneath. That's pretty redundant - I'll revise the question.
Friendship. Trust. Desire. Hatred. You are all FLAWED. You carry TOO many unnecessary burdens. Only. One. Thing. Absolute devotion to him should be ALL you need. IF YOU CANNOT BE A PAWN, THEN YOU DIE HERE, TOO!
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Forever and ever ago I saw a Wapsi comic in a LiveJournal community I belonged to, I have been an avid reader ever since.
Dave

Post by Dave »

It was mentioned on Fleen (http://www.fleen.com/) back in the spring of last year, during the great "Is Shelly really dead?" cliffhanger week. I tuned in, and you can probably guess the rest of the story... read back through a few weeks of the story, went on a massive archive-dive binge, and was well and thoroughly hooked.

I've since passed the habit along to at least one of my nephews (I understand he's now thinking of taking a try at webcomic-storytelling himself) and possibly another as well.

[Edit] To answer your "What kind of person are you, and what are you into" question... I'm 57, a software designer with occasional pretensions of soldering, ham-radio operator, married, love good SF and fantasy, eclectic tastes in music (progressive, ethnic, some classic rock, and what my wife refers to as "crazed gleef")... definitely a nerdboy.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Either Jenny Breeden (Devil's Panties)did something for Paul or he did something for her.Anyways,it started
innocently enough,but now I'm completely enthralled by the story our host has woven.
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

Really don't remember. For me, it all started with Mark Stanley's Freefall in 2002, and expanded outward from there in endless ripples. My guess is that it was recommended in a thread somewhere about "Cool Webcomics you have GOT to read!" or something similar.

Whatever the case, I'm grateful.
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

Hello, I'm TheDOCTOR and I'm a Webcomic-holic. What? Oh Its not that kind of site? Hmmm,Well Anywho, I had just got a used 'pooter and was looking for something to read. My brother sent me the address to "Girl Genius" from there I found Chickweed and Pib, heard {read} some people talking about 'Wapsi', checked it out, went diving in the archives to catch up, been reading for (checks watch) *cough* years, end of story.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Long, long ago, once upon a time, there was the 8-Ball T-shirt joke. This joke was passed around from website to website, with much mirth and merriment, and commentary forthwith, and even a link to said joke's origin. And lo, I did find myself gazing upon said joke, with humor in my heart, a sparkling sensation in my sinus cavity, and chocolate milk all over my keyboard, and said to myself, "Ho! A link that cries out to be followed!" So then did I follow the link, and gazed further upon the adventures of Wapsi Square, and have returned frequently ever since. And I also bought a new keyboard.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Probably 6 moths or so ago, I think I found a link and have been blissfully addicted to this strip since.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Back on December 22, 2011 (was it just that long ago?), Jennie Breeden did a guest strip. I've been addicted ever since. I have started to control the shakes over the weekends, but it is difficult.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

My memory is fuzzy (it would probably be totally blank if I was a drinker), but I think I found Wapsi listed on the "You may like" list on the Ménage à 3 homepage. My life for the past year has been one big blur so unless Paul restores the comments in read-only form there is no way I can say how long ago I started reading.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
The Old Wolf

Post by The Old Wolf »

TheDOCTOR wrote:Hello, I'm TheDOCTOR and I'm a Webcomic-holic.
Hi, TheDOCTOR!
“Make the world work, for 100% of humanity, in the shortest possible time, through spontaneous cooperation, without ecological offense or the disadvantage of anyone.”
-R. Buckminster Fuller
---------------
Playing in the World Game
Julie

Post by Julie »

Huh...good question. I probably found it either through a banner ad or being directed here by a friend who knew I'd appreciate the busty humor (I still make references to the old "basketballs bouncing down stairs" strip when people ask me why I don't run). I followed the comic for a very long time before I ever posted any comments, so I can't even begin to remember how long I've been reading (which might explain why I don't remember exactly how I wound up here). I did a quick archives check, and I'm fairly certain I started following the comic before 2008...but it might have been during 2008...I just can't remember. :(

As for what kind of things I'm into...I get passionate about stories, which has lead me to love reading, writing, watching movies, going to art museums, listening to all kinds of music (with a few exceptions), and studying history and religions. There's always a new and interesting story to find that way. :) Oh...and I get a kick out of watching my husband play video games. It's like watching a movie where the character may actually listen to you when you say "Look out for that monster over there!" :) I just don't play many games myself because (and I'm quoting my husband here) my "rage monkey will come out of its cage and may damage something expensive." The only games I've actually played with extended interest are Professor Layton games, Super Paper Mario (which I was nearly banned from playing), Picross, and SWtOR (I'm a bounty hunter!). :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Nimrod

Post by Nimrod »

Ah the memories. Back on the previous Wapsi Forum we had a thread talking about how people had found Wapsi in the first place.
So, I get to tell the story again... :D
Back on 10/5/2001 on strip no. 13 (at that time) I had been alerted to Paul's strip from a post over at the Breast Expansion Archive (BEA) which was 4 years old and a different place than now. Well, the poster MunchWolf alerted us to a cute comic that someone named Paul had done for a large bra website that was cute and very sympathetic to the larger of chest. I followed it to the specialty bra website and it was very cute and resolved to track down more of his work. No sooner had this been mentioned at the BEA than Paul actually posted there and provided a link to his strip which was only 13 strips deep.
So, my very first strip was the "He's a Dog!!!!" strip and I have been a consistent reader from that time on.
I would have to say the the feeling one gets having experienced the strip in day-to-day, drip...drip...drip... is totally different for someone jumping in now and reading back through the archive.
Just for the record - Paul has always had a very mature and sympathetic attitude about the whole big bras, busty gals and related physical challenges that come from it so before someone gets the wrong idea I will be the first to defend his long standing positive and light-hearted approach to the topic. He was that way from the very start and the first exposure of his work was through similar sites, large-cup small band sites, the BEA, etc.

* over time all sites change, even Paul's - but change is good and it is nice to think back a see from where this all germinated.
MrBill

Post by MrBill »

Back in March '12, the Washington Post's 'Comic Riffs' blog ran a 'best webcomic' poll. I enjoy this sort of thing largely because for me it's an opportunity to check out some of some of the (hopefully better-quality) webcomics that make the list.

I went down the list, checking out the the nominees. I was already familiar with a few, but most were new to me. Of the ones in the list that were new, I'm still following three, and Wapsi Square has become my favorite web comic.

And the timing of the poll was good for potential new readers. Monica and Jin were busy island hopping/candle shopping/antiquing, Shelly and Justin had just enountered a 'frisky' Baxter and Boo, were helped out by an enigmatic Tsillah, and were greeted at the library door by an over-the-top Nudge. And the next couple of days featured a pair of particularly beautiful and touching strips featuring a quiet Shelly wondering about what might have been.

The combination of an excellent story, familiar yet surprising settings, characters that were both fascinating and unusual, and beautiful and varied artwork did it for me.

At that point I dove into the archives head first, and have yet to surface. I own all the e-books, and would love to own a 'Mucho Mocha' coffee mug featuring a bewinged Tina Rosario Aldaco Guzmán (hint, hint).
Dave

Post by Dave »

MrBill wrote:... and would love to own a 'Mucho Mocha' coffee mug featuring a bewinged Tina Rosario Aldaco Guzmán (hint, hint).
We can hope that Paul will eventually decide to set up a presence on CafePress, with either original B&W or colorized versions of some of his characters and scenes. A number of talented fans have done fan-art color versions, and they might be willing to contribute those to a CafePress storefront as well?

A single properly-sized graphic image might be suitable for a coffee mug, a T-shirt, and numerous other bits of CafePress swag.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

God, I can't even REMEMBER when. How long ago was it for Blank Label Comics again, Pablo?

Let's see - it's gotta be way back in, like, 2004. (looks around a bit) Okay, Paul released book 1 back in '06, so... wow. I can't confirm, because obviously the BLC forums are kaput.

But yeah. It's been about six, seven years now - at least.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, I can say that I didn't find Wapsi Square. Paul found me when Blank Label Comics was put together, and I hosted them.

I still have a copy of the old BLC forum; I may see what I can do about breaking a copy of the old Wapsi threads loose to plug into here. (Read only, of course)

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote:Well, I can say that I didn't find Wapsi Square. Paul found me when Blank Label Comics was put together, and I hosted them.

I still have a copy of the old BLC forum; I may see what I can do about breaking a copy of the old Wapsi threads loose to plug into here. (Read only, of course)
Thank you on both accounts, Bookworm, but most especially for hosting Paul and Wapsi in those earlier days.