Bud's Calendar Machine toss

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave11

Bud's Calendar Machine toss

Post by Dave11 »

I'm doing an archive trawl, and just got to http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sonic-boom/. Given that the Earth is about eight light-minutes from the sun, and Bud said "about 24 minutes"...She threw the machine at roughly 1/3 light-speed!

That kind of force - she should have had to pick herself out of a knee-deep hole in the ground, and may have altered the planet's orbit.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Dave

Re: Bud's Calendar Machine toss

Post by Dave »

Dave11 wrote:That kind of force - she should have had to pick herself out of a knee-deep hole in the ground, and may have altered the planet's orbit.
There are a couple of other incidents which suggest that Bud's golem chassis may be equipped with some sort of "inertial damper". She hurled a massive anchor a long distance without the reaction shoving her waist-deep into the sandbar, and she threw a golf-ball downwards through the planet's crust and all the way to Venice without having been kicked upwards into the stratosphere. Somehow, she either plays merry hob with the concept of conservation of momentum, or she manages to draw/distribute the necessary delta-M from something other than her body. "Reactionless thrusters" anybody?

Not an unreasonable thing for a tech/magic designer to build into a weapons-golem. There's little sense to designing incredible power into a weapon, if it blasts itself backwards into the next state every time you fire it (like the "Noisy Cricket" problem, but much worse). As Archimedes pointed out, having a long lever is only half of the problem; you also need a very firm fulcrum!
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
Dave11 wrote:That kind of force - she should have had to pick herself out of a knee-deep hole in the ground, and may have altered the planet's orbit.
There are a couple of other incidents which suggest that Bud's golem chassis may be equipped with some sort of "inertial damper". She hurled a massive anchor a long distance without the reaction shoving her waist-deep into the sandbar, and she threw a golf-ball downwards through the planet's crust and all the way to Venice without having been kicked upwards into the stratosphere. Somehow, she either plays merry hob with the concept of conservation of momentum, or she manages to draw/distribute the necessary delta-M from something other than her body. "Reactionless thrusters" anybody?

Not an unreasonable thing for a tech/magic designer to build into a weapons-golem. There's little sense to designing incredible power into a weapon, if it blasts itself backwards into the next state every time you fire it (like the "Noisy Cricket" problem, but much worse). As Archimedes pointed out, having a long lever is only half of the problem; you also need a very firm fulcrum!
The magic in the Wapsiverse has always shown a great deal of 'fuzzy logic'. Which is fine by me. How many stories have you read about someone getting gigged because the didn't think through what they told a 'magic' being what they wanted?
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I'm pretty sure Paul stated in the comments that Bud pulled the 24 minute number out of her ass. It likely took a much longer time to get there.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:I'm pretty sure Paul stated in the comments that Bud pulled the 24 minute number out of her ass. It likely took a much longer time to get there.
The kickback on accelerating what would be, for all practical purposes, a marble-size chunk of neutronium even to "merely" escape velocity, effectively instantaneously, would still be pretty darned impressive.

And it was obviously traveling a LOT faster than V-sub-e...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote: The kickback on accelerating what would be, for all practical purposes, a marble-size chunk of neutronium even to "merely" escape velocity, effectively instantaneously, would still be pretty darned impressive.

And it was obviously traveling a LOT faster than V-sub-e...
Not to mention the fact that if Bud's energy-generation-and-creation system were, say, 99.9999% efficient, the small residual waste energy would have caused her to glow white-hot for quite some time ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I personally think it was Joel's Law in effect. Or possibly Bellisario's Maxim.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

jwhouk wrote:I personally think it was Joel's Law in effect. Or possibly Bellisario's Maxim.

I just stick with the good old "Rule of Funny"

But that's just me. :mrgreen:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Warning! Warning!

This thread is in danger of invoking a Spherical Balrog!

Remember the thing about Godwin's Law? Fan geek physics arguments run the risk of Spherical Balrog encounters. Explanation at the link.

You have been warned!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Oddly enough, from time to time when reading Wapsi, i've thought about some books that are sort of favourites of mine.

There are four in the series (though, as i recall, it was obviously meant to run to more), collectively titled "The Journeys of Mcgill Feighan".

Feighan is what, in his universe, is called a "flinger"; he poits. Large or small masses, over interstellar distances, if need be. Flingers are the basis of interstellar commerce. Kevin O'Donnell, the author, obviously considered the question of the wide differences in proper motion between stars (and other, lesser, velocity/potential energy differences); he postulated another universe ... dimension ... whatever, where flingers can dump excess kinetic energy, or draw it from, if necessary. (Feighan uses this to make rather deadly weapons out of random pebbles, at one point.)

So there we go - poiters are doing the same thing (unconsciously, apparently), and whether Bud realised it or not, that's where the real impetus for her throws came from. Though, if it were the explanation, one suspects she knew what she was doing, since she apparently did it to Monica's bullets...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Atomic wrote:Warning! Warning!

This thread is in danger of invoking a Spherical Balrog!

Remember the thing about Godwin's Law? Fan geek physics arguments run the risk of Spherical Balrog encounters. Explanation at the link.

You have been warned!
Just avoid the Purple giraffes, please.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:This thread is in danger of invoking a Spherical Balrog!
"Assuming a spherical cow of uniform density..."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:So there we go - poiters are doing the same thing (unconsciously, apparently), and whether Bud realised it or not, that's where the real impetus for her throws came from. Though, if it were the explanation, one suspects she knew what she was doing, since she apparently did it to Monica's bullets...
I thought it was Monica who poited the bullets instinctively...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Well, if the Balrog has eaten enough tasty hobbitses...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:So there we go - poiters are doing the same thing (unconsciously, apparently), and whether Bud realised it or not, that's where the real impetus for her throws came from. Though, if it were the explanation, one suspects she knew what she was doing, since she apparently did it to Monica's bullets...
I thought it was Monica who poited the bullets instinctively...
No - i meant when they were out in the desert and Bud was hopping up the bullets as Monica blasted away at standing rocks with G'Pa Sullivan's hogleg.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave's inertial damper theory is on track, but I think its more than that. From Jin's reboot, we see that the GGs are nothing more than clay when powered down. We know that most Lanthian tech operates by being connected to a wormhole network that gives access to the " energy potential of a rotating galaxy".

Buds "body" when active is is a force field that simulates what she looked like in life down to the feel of her skin and the texture of her hair. She uses that force field to interact with the world around her.

Bud had access to effectively unlimited power for her toss from the wormhole network. She would have used the same to dump the excess energy back into the network using the same quantum mechanics she uses to POIT.

(All conjecture based on what we've seen so far of course.)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Boxilar wrote:Dave's inertial damper theory is on track, but I think its more than that. From Jin's reboot, we see that the GGs are nothing more than clay when powered down. We know that most Lanthian tech operates by being connected to a wormhole network that gives access to the " energy potential of a rotating galaxy".

Buds "body" when active is is a force field that simulates what she looked like in life down to the feel of her skin and the texture of her hair. She uses that force field to interact with the world around her.

Bud had access to effectively unlimited power for her toss from the wormhole network. She would have used the same to dump the excess energy back into the network using the same quantum mechanics she uses to POIT.

(All conjecture based on what we've seen so far of course.)
Yup. She's a Flinger. Like i said.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
Reactionless thrusters? Sure! Check this paper by a professor Woodward - he built a working desktop model of a Mach's Principle propellantless thruster. WORKING. The math was a little heavy for me.....http://physics.fullerton.edu/~jimw/nasa-pap/
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Fairportfan wrote:
This reminds me of a Facebook status from one of my friends: "A cow is just a sphere in a vacuum." Apparently her physics professor said that; at the moment, I forget precisely the main point of that discussion.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Speaking of hypothetical cows - there is a book titled Murphy's Rules, about poorly-thought-out rules in various games.

For instance, there was the Incredibly Deadly Weapon that, due to the game's system of calculating damage, was completely ineffectual against groups of eleven or more enemies.

The one i remember best (along with the accompanying cartoon) is that the game "Rail Baron" listed "cattle" as a cargo type that could be loaded aboard flatcars.
=====================
=====================
mike weber