Random Thought of the Day

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Re: Random Thought of the Day

Post by Jabberwonky »

PrettyPrincess wrote:What kind of person lets the air out of someone's bike tires at school? I had to ride home 3 miles on a half flat bike with a 45 lb backpack and a violin. My thighs/quadriceps are KILLING me. Boo to mean people.
You didn't have a steam pump to fill it? Or at least an Edison repeater to take a couple of shot at 'em?

Shelly had the same problem oncet...
(check out the receptionist)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Heh, I actually prefer to use my bike pump to air up my car tires when they get low. Save 50¢ instead of going to the gas station and it's good exercise.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

I think I finally found my motivation to either locate my laptop or finally get a powerstrip so I can set up my desktop. I'm home sick today, and checking the comic/posting on these forums from my cell phone sucks! (We moved into this apartment a little more than a month ago, and I've been doing most of my personal browsing from work and looking over my husband's shoulder to browse NSFW websites from home on his laptop.)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:Two days ago I reset my cell phone, today my wireless connection becomes so unstable I have to reset my router? What the hell? :x
Just a subtle reminder that entropy rules the universe. (As Yeats seemed to agree "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world" (From his 'THE SECOND COMING')
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Guile's theme goes with everything, including cell phones. I love making my own ringtones. :D
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Favorite quotes of the day

“Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things… and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”
–Walt Disney

"We must be the change we wish to see."
-Mahatma Gandhi

"That's been one of my mantras -- focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."
-Steve Jobs

"Blue is a color!"
-Cosmo
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Does anyone else think it's funny that there's more than one 'Final Fantasy'?
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:Does anyone else think it's funny that there's more than one 'Final Fantasy'?
Just as funny there's so many 'origin stories' for (insert superhero name here). How many do-overs are you allowed?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Jabberwonky wrote:Does anyone else think it's funny that there's more than one 'Final Fantasy'?
The focus group feedback for "Penultimate Fantasy" didn't score well, so they went the the other name instead.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:
The focus group feedback for "Penultimate Fantasy" didn't score well, so they went the the other name instead.
Okay, I'm weird enough that I'd go see that just see what it was...
Julie

Post by Julie »

There's nothing quite so unsettling as having your world shrink in unexpected places and at unexpected times.

I was minding my business this morning, playing catch-up with my email at the office when I glanced up and noticed that the new recruits were walking by on a quick tour of the office before they start training next week. Normally, this is no big deal. Today, I did a double-take. One of the new recruits is a guy I knew in high school. He was two years older than me, but we knew each other because we were both in marching band. In fact, he and his (mostly) identical twin brother would give me rides to and from band practice since they lived about 5 minutes away from me.

He recognized me too (from the look on his face, I wasn't the only one having a WTF moment), so he stopped by after the tour to catch up a little. It was cool. Weird, but cool. It turns out that he'll be working from this location, too (some of our recruits end up working out of one of our district offices). I'm one of our office's compliance officers, so it's going to be interesting seeing if I can handle an authoritative role over someone who was in the leadership position when I last saw him 15 or so years ago.

But the story's not over yet...

I stopped by our training department to share the information with them. While I was talking about how I knew this guy, one of the ladies frowned a little and asked what high school I attended. When I told her where I went and when I graduated, she asked me if I knew her cousins. Turns out I went to elementary, middle, and high school with one of her cousins, and high school with the other...and he graduated the same year as our new recruit. :shock:

My mind kind of esploded today.
"Just open your eyes
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Julie wrote:There's nothing quite so unsettling as having your world shrink in unexpected places and at unexpected times.

I was minding my business this morning, playing catch-up with my email at the office when I glanced up and noticed that the new recruits were walking by on a quick tour of the office before they start training next week. Normally, this is no big deal. Today, I did a double-take. One of the new recruits is a guy I knew in high school. He was two years older than me, but we knew each other because we were both in marching band. In fact, he and his (mostly) identical twin brother would give me rides to and from band practice since they lived about 5 minutes away from me.

He recognized me too (from the look on his face, I wasn't the only one having a WTF moment), so he stopped by after the tour to catch up a little. It was cool. Weird, but cool. It turns out that he'll be working from this location, too (some of our recruits end up working out of one of our district offices). I'm one of our office's compliance officers, so it's going to be interesting seeing if I can handle an authoritative role over someone who was in the leadership position when I last saw him 15 or so years ago.

I stopped by our training department to share the information with them. While I was talking about how I knew this guy, one of the ladies frowned a little and asked what high school I attended. When I told her where I went and when I graduated, she asked me if I knew her cousins. Turns out I went to elementary, middle, and high school with one of her cousins, and high school with the other...and he graduated the same year as our new recruit. :shock:

Amazing how small the world can be sometimes.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Julie wrote:My mind kind of esploded today.
So that's what they mean by "global village"...
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Mark N wrote:
Julie wrote:There's nothing quite so unsettling as having your world shrink in unexpected places and at unexpected times.

Amazing how small the world can be sometimes.
Well, similar people with similar backgrounds wind up in similar places.

Some years ago my wife and I stashed the kids with grandparents between Christmas and New Years so that we could do a short winter backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. We were using one of the less traveled trails (Grandview, for those who've been there -- rather hairy in winter, actually, we had to use crampons for a short stretch), and once we got into the canyon, the only person we saw was a backcountry ranger passing through. So after a very enjoyable night on Horseshoe Mesa, we start back out, again not running into another soul -- until we're about 200 feet from the top, and there's a solitary figure making his way down the hairy part.

Turns out he's one of my musical partners in crime, from our home 500 miles from the Canyon.

My wife says I could run into someone I know on Mars. This is not unreasonable; it's the kind of place where all of us space cases would hang out, after all.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The pun vault applies in this thread, too. :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Graybeard wrote:Well, similar people with similar backgrounds wind up in similar places.

Some years ago my wife and I stashed the kids with grandparents between Christmas and New Years so that we could do a short winter backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon. We were using one of the less traveled trails (Grandview, for those who've been there -- rather hairy in winter, actually, we had to use crampons for a short stretch), and once we got into the canyon, the only person we saw was a backcountry ranger passing through. So after a very enjoyable night on Horseshoe Mesa, we start back out, again not running into another soul -- until we're about 200 feet from the top, and there's a solitary figure making his way down the hairy part.

Turns out he's one of my musical partners in crime, from our home 500 miles from the Canyon.

My wife says I could run into someone I know on Mars. This is not unreasonable; it's the kind of place where all of us space cases would hang out, after all.
You may be right...my husband swears that I know everyone in the Dallas area because during the first few years we dated I seemed to run into people I knew everywhere we went...State Fair (ran into old friends from high school)...movies (ran into the mother of someone I used to be in Girl Scouts with when I was in 5th through 7th grade)...grocery shopping (ran into a guy I used to go to church with)...the deli at my office (ran into the husband of my 8th grade science teacher)...I guess at this point I shouldn't be surprised, but it hadn't really infiltrated my actual office space before. :P
"Just open your eyes
Lee M

Post by Lee M »

As an infrequent flyer, I always find it annoying when the plane touches down and they say something like, "Thank you for choosing to fly Cheapo Airlines". The fact is I've never chosen my own airline, and I suspect 99% of business and holiday travellers don't either. It's always the travel agent - or in the case of business flights the guy in charge of booking flights for a company - that actually chooses the airline. Anyway, the meals always taste the same, the planes are all made by the same companies and the only real difference on long-haul flights is whether they have fixed or on-demand video programming.

So yeah... this is just my way of coping with jet lag.
The paper maker is the basest of all creatures. He deprives the beggar of his rags to make white sheets for editors to lie on.
--early 20th century school essay, from Fresh Howlers, ed. H. Cecil Hunt (UK, 1930)
MrFireDragon

Post by MrFireDragon »

Google this: US China San Francisco UFO

Serious wtf.... Perhaps a bunch of nutjobs....but still wtf...
"Live, Laugh, Love and Keep Moving Forward." MrFireDragon
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

MrFireDragon wrote:Google this: US China San Francisco UFO

Serious wtf.... Perhaps a bunch of nutjobs....but still wtf...
Vetrans Today site had an article on it. Not one of the ususal suspects for the woo-woo set.
And, if aliens were going to try and infiltrate human society, San Francisco wouldn't be the worst place to start...
Julie

Post by Julie »

Lee M wrote:As an infrequent flyer, I always find it annoying when the plane touches down and they say something like, "Thank you for choosing to fly Cheapo Airlines". The fact is I've never chosen my own airline, and I suspect 99% of business and holiday travellers don't either. It's always the travel agent - or in the case of business flights the guy in charge of booking flights for a company - that actually chooses the airline. Anyway, the meals always taste the same, the planes are all made by the same companies and the only real difference on long-haul flights is whether they have fixed or on-demand video programming.

So yeah... this is just my way of coping with jet lag.
I always choose my own airline when travelling for fun/personal holidays. I only have to take what's given to me for business trips, which equates to less than half of my time in airports. I've never worked with a travel agent for personal travel...it just seems cheaper to figure it out on my own. *shrugs*
"Just open your eyes