Random Thought of the Day

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Random Thought of the Day

Post by jwhouk »

The NHL has apparently decided to lock out its fans as well.

As of right now (10:08 AM ET), NONE of the NHL's team-run message boards are working, rejecting individual passwords and, after a couple of attempts, notifying users trying to login that "Your account will be unlocked in X minutes."

I just cannot believe this.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

A weird thought occurred to me yesterday, at work:

Aaron Sullivan described Jin as a "golden eyed woman"... maybe Jin needed to go to the bathroom more often?

(I don't know if you guys say this in English, but in French, when someone desperately needs to use the bathroom to pee, we may say that their eyes are yellow - or ours, as the case may be... This happens frequently in my profession - city transit bus driver...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

lake_wrangler wrote:A weird thought occurred to me yesterday, at work:

Aaron Sullivan described Jin as a "golden eyed woman"... maybe Jin needed to go to the bathroom more often?

(I don't know if you guys say this in English, but in French, when someone desperately needs to use the bathroom to pee, we may say that their eyes are yellow - or ours, as the case may be... This happens frequently in my profession - city transit bus driver...)
*/Snickergiggle*
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
stjen

Post by stjen »

It's the beginning of Autumn (Autumnal Equinox around 10:45 AM Eastern yesterday), and all the talk on the weather reports was that there was a half-inch of snow in Duluth MN (apparently a month or so early). Will Pablo fit in another of his sudden snowstorms right on top of Monica soon?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

stjen wrote:It's the beginning of Autumn (Autumnal Equinox around 10:45 AM Eastern yesterday), and all the talk on the weather reports was that there was a half-inch of snow in Duluth MN (apparently a month or so early). Will Pablo fit in another of his sudden snowstorms right on top of Monica soon?
What, you don't think she's been cold enough, recently?
stjen

Post by stjen »

lake_wrangler wrote:
stjen wrote:It's the beginning of Autumn (Autumnal Equinox around 10:45 AM Eastern yesterday), and all the talk on the weather reports was that there was a half-inch of snow in Duluth MN (apparently a month or so early). Will Pablo fit in another of his sudden snowstorms right on top of Monica soon?
Actually -- I do think that. But Pablo is occasionally known as Evil Cartoonist for a reason -- he loves to add insult to injury, and this would be perfect for him.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

stjen wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Actually -- I do think that. But Pablo is occasionally known as Evil Cartoonist for a reason -- he loves to add insult to injury, and this would be perfect for him.
On the other hand, as far as we know, WinterWeather doesn't have it in for the rest of the cast (except maybe Shelly), so I'm not sure we're going to see a sudden snowfall at the beach.

Then again, who knows... maybe they're all guilty by association, and WinterWeather won't care who gets it, as long as Monica does as well...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm still in shock.

I think, in the space of a few seconds last night, Wisconsin became a pro-union state.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

jwhouk wrote:I'm still in shock.

I think, in the space of a few seconds last night, Wisconsin became a pro-union state.
I thought Wisconsin was admitted to the union in 1848...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Well...it was a pretty bad call (and it stood after review???). If I happened to be a Packers fan (which would be a scary alternate universe), I'd be very much in favor of doing whatever it took to appease the ref union after last night. Then again, I think that strikes like these are why unions can suck (see also the American Airlines debaucle and the start of the school year in Chicago). They wield way too much power...and it's usually used to the detriment of others in order to obtain whatever they want.

Granted, I understand that the concept of giving workers a voice and the ability to deal equally with those in positions of power and control is a good thing. It prevents the working folk from getting screwed over. Going on strike because you want safer working conditions or reasonable hours...that I understand...but unions also have been used to demand "more" when there either isn't more to give or when "more" is just a ridiculous expansion of an already excessive compensation (I'm looking at you professional sports players and owners).

I've heard that in other countries, unions aren't the same beasties as they are here. If that's the case, I'd love to know why our unions make things get ugly.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

However, it has been management/ownership that has been asking for more, more, more in recent years.

In this case, though, the product on the field has suffered greatly with these idiots on the field.

Scottie W did, in fact, come out on the side of "bringing the real refs back". Of course, I don't think anyone pointed out to him that that would mean actually negotiating with a union.
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:However, it has been management/ownership that has been asking for more, more, more in recent years.
That's why I looked at the players and the owners with my judgy-face. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Julie wrote: I've heard that in other countries, unions aren't the same beasties as they are here. If that's the case, I'd love to know why our unions make things get ugly.
With time and growth any organization can become unbalanced when it comes to power and how it is used (or misused). Also in the US we have constitutional freedoms that can be misused toO, as you say, make things get ugly. It sucks but these are the facts of life.
Last edited by Mark N on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I don't always follow the news much... what'd'I miss?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Screwup In Seattle.

For those of you who honestly don't care about football: The Green Bay Packers lost to the Seattle Seahawks last night because - and there's no way of delicately saying this - the referees f'ed up.

The NFL is using "replacement referees" because of an ongoing dispute between the league and the union representing the officials. Over the past three weeks, officiating has been comical at best, horrible at worst.

Until Monday night. On the last play of the game, with the Packers leading 12-7, quarterback Russell Wilson threw a pass into the end zone with no time left on the clock. The ball was batted around, and Packers defensive back MD Jennings caught the ball and came down with it, with Seahawks receiver Golden Tate draped over it. As soon as Jennings hit the ground, with one knee down (which is the definition of being down by contact), Tate tried to strip the ball away from Jennings. Jennings - along with the rest of the Packers team - thought the play was over.

The referees, however, thought Tate had caught the ball at the same time Jennings did, and had taken possession - making it a touchdown for Seattle. The replay didn't help, as the head referee applied the wrong rule to the situation.

The NFL is refusing to award the game to the Packers, and the entirety of Packer Nation (including myself) is livid.

The "real refs" have even gotten a boost from a very unlikely source - my state governor, who hates collective bargaining with any of his "own" employees, called on the NFL to end the strike.