Cooking for engineers

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Cooking for engineers

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

That's all i'm gonna tell ya. Find out for yourselves.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Cooking for engineers

Post by Dave »

Page Not Available.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:Page Not Available.
Just worked for me. Try again.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Some yummy-looking recipes, but I'm not 100% certain why it's geared toward engineers. These look usable by anybody who's able to read & has access to the necessary equipment & ingredients. :|

EDIT!! Never mind, found this.
Michael Chu wrote:About the name: Cooking For Engineers
Michael selected the name "Cooking For Engineers" on a whim. He has no idea if it means "To cook for the purposes of providing engineers with food" or "To instruct engineers in the science and art of cooking". He likes the ambiguity, and other people seem to find the name intriguing and even interesting. He regrets that the name can be misread (when in a rush) to be "Cooking Foreigners".
:lol:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Michael Chu wrote:"Cooking Foreigners"
So, it's an ultra-nationalist culinary site?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

MerchManDan wrote:These look usable by anybody who's able to read & has access to the necessary equipment & ingredients. :|
Ah, but a true engineer doesn't need access to blenders or ovens or mixers: he or she will simply design and build the perfect equipment for the job, from scratch!
AnotherFairportfan

<oops. supposed to be elsewhere>
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Fri May 16, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:These look usable by anybody who's able to read & has access to the necessary equipment & ingredients. :|
Ah, but a true engineer doesn't need access to blenders or ovens or mixers: he or she will simply design and build the perfect equipment for the job, from scratch!
It's not really an true engineer doing the cooking, unless s/he uses a home-built cyclotron to create an electron beam to brown the meringue.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
It's not really an true engineer doing the cooking, unless s/he uses a home-built cyclotron to create an electron beam to brown the meringue.
Sounds like my daughter. Mechanical Engineer, Texas A&M Class of 2009.
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
Heh - reminds me of a quote from Shadow of Saganami:
"Marines are adaptable," she replied. "They improvise and overcome when faced with unexpected obstacles. Just treat it like something minor—like storming a dug-in ceramacrete bunker armed with nothing but a butter knife clenched between your manly teeth—and I'm sure a tough, experienced Marine like you can pull it off."

"Hah! What kind of wuss Marine needs a butter knife to take one miserable bunker?" Gutierrez demanded with a resonant chuckle. "That's why God gave us teeth and fingernails!"
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Cooking?

It's just simple chemistry

what's worrying is the person saying that is a mad scientist :shock:

On the other hand, I'm still impressed that I recently learnt how to make real poached eggs (as opposed to using the microwave on low power to make 'mock' poached eggs :P )
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Grantwhy wrote:On the other hand, I'm still impressed that I recently learnt how to make real poached eggs (as opposed to using the microwave on low power to make 'mock' poached eggs :P )
I always found building a functional chicken to be the trickiest part of that.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:On the other hand, I'm still impressed that I recently learnt how to make real poached eggs (as opposed to using the microwave on low power to make 'mock' poached eggs :P )
I always found building a functional chicken to be the trickiest part of that.
It's actually easier if you omit some of the classic "simplifying assumptions". You don't have to require that the chicken be spherical, or of uniform density.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:You don't have to require that the chicken be spherical, or of uniform density.
But then it won't match my cows and balrogs.
ActionKermit

Post by ActionKermit »

This site has some great advice. A while back my brother accidentally started a canola-oil fire in a cast-iron pan, and once we put the fire out (no damage to anything), the oil had turned into a kind of viscous black tar that was so sticky it took half an hour to clean off our hands with pumice soap. The cooking for engineers site helped us get it out of the pan by recommending that we boil white-wine vinegar in the pan and scraping it off with a spatula, which worked like a charm.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Wow,this site is perfect for me. There's even a little conversion box near the top. The recipes are done like a technical manual. They have little trivia bits too.

This is awesome. Bookmarked.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!