More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: More Stuff

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Warrl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:02 pm
Human bodies are weird - and the closer you study them, the weirder they are.
40 years I spent with my hands in somebody else's anatomy... once you get past the skin, we're all disgusting inside.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:56 pm
Warrl wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:02 pm Human bodies are weird - and the closer you study them, the weirder they are.
40 years I spent with my hands in somebody else's anatomy... once you get past the skin, we're all disgusting inside.
Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red.
Clive barker
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's another amusing quote from my wallpaper changer:
Manic-depressive, adj.:
Easy glum, easy glow.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

There are also kits for temporary (until you get to the dentist) relief of toothache.

Sorry, I can't suggest any specific ones, since I haven't used one in twenty years or more.

For general ongoing tooth sensitivity, I use Sensodyne toothpaste.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 am There are also kits for temporary (until you get to the dentist) relief of toothache.

Sorry, I can't suggest any specific ones, since I haven't used one in twenty years or more.
The ones I've seen are usually based on eugenol (clove oil), sometimes diluted and/or in a carrier of some sort. Dentists also use eugenol.
For general ongoing tooth sensitivity, I use Sensodyne toothpaste.
+1 to that. It's been a great help to me.
hyunji wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:02 am I have rinsed with a hydrogen peroxide solution for a couple of days and it really eased the pain. Yesterday I finally went to the dentist and solved the problem forever...
I've been rinsing with diluted hydrogen peroxide for years... not for pain but for general oral hygiene. My dentist approves, and seems quite happy with how my teeth are doing at the age of 66.

Glad to hear you could have your tooth-mechanic deal with the problem properly. As far as I know, all of the off-the-shelf remedies and treatments are simply stopgaps... when our teeth and gums need professional attention, they need professional attention.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:53 pmI've been rinsing with diluted hydrogen peroxide for years... not for pain but for general oral hygiene. My dentist approves, and seems quite happy with how my teeth are doing at the age of 66.
I'm sorry, but I believe you are stretching credibility, here... I don't believe your teeth are much older than 65... ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another wallpaper changer quote:
I wish a robot would get elected president. That way, when he came to town,
we could all take a shot at him and not feel too bad. - Jack Handey
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:48 pm I don't believe your teeth are much older than 65... ;)
That depends on when you start counting their age. As "tooth buds" they're as old as the rest of me, but if you want to count from the first time they saw the light of day, I imagine they're between 55 and 60.

The ones which would have been 65 by now have long since been shed, and traded to the Tooth Fairy for various small bits of coinage.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:53 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:31 amThere are also kits for temporary (until you get to the dentist) relief of toothache.

The ones I've seen are usually based on eugenol (clove oil), sometimes diluted and/or in a carrier of some sort. Dentists also use eugenol.
That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure enough to say that.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

hyunji wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:59 am
Alkarii wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:15 pm Thankfully, there are mouthwashes specifically made to help with toothaches.
Wow, that's good news. Could you please suggest to me a good one? Having an awful toothache for a week...
Oragel makes one (white bottle, red label), and you can also use a 50/50 mix of water and hydrogen peroxide.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Does anyone know of a good video editing software that is free and easy to use and figure out without needing to wade through a ton of different videos that are actually irrelevant?

Folks have recommended OBS, but OBS is only for recording and streaming, not editing, and I need to record and edit.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:08 pm Does anyone know of a good video editing software that is free and easy to use and figure out without needing to wade through a ton of different videos that are actually irrelevant?

Folks have recommended OBS, but OBS is only for recording and streaming, not editing, and I need to record and edit.
Haven't looked at video editing software lately - been doing a fair amount of transcoding, but that's not editing...

Googling, i found some articles that purport to list the best free video editing software { they seem to like Lightshot}:

https://www.shopify.com/blog/best-free- ... g-software
https://www.techradar.com/best/free-vid ... g-software
https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-gui ... g-software

Also, i found a couple packages that sound as if they might possibly be good; i used VSDC manymany years agone, but i really don't remember much about it:

https://www.openshot.org/
https://www.videosoftdev.com/
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Personally, I use Kdenlive. Been doing so on and off for several years, already (i.e. been using it for years, but not regularly...) It's a very good piece of software, available for Linux, MacOS and Windows. Plenty of features, but not hard to use.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I tried OpenShot, and I couldn't find anything like a record button, and anything I recorded with OBS wouldn't have the audio when I previewed it using OpenShot.

I might try Lightshot later today. I can't do it right this second because I have a hiring event to go to.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, since it seems to be a pain in the butt to get anyone to hire me, I'm strongly considering becoming a substitute teacher. My mom does it, and apparently it's really easy to do, and she decides what days she goes in to sub teach... Which most of the time has just been babysitting.

If I can do that, I'm also considering looking inti whether or not one of the local technical universities has courses for game design/development.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

If there's a labor shortage, then why the hell are employers being stingy about giving people jobs when they meet the posted requirements?
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Usually because they have the candidate they want but were required by legal to post the opening anyway.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm at the Arkansas Comic Convention with my sister's oldest kid. I'd never been to a convention before now, and I learned something really important about conventions:

They're boring as hell.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:49 pmI'm at the Arkansas Comic Convention with my sister's oldest kid. I'd never been to a convention before now, and I learned something really important about conventions:

They're boring as hell.
They can be . . . it depends on what they're about, how interested you are in that, who's there, and how tolerant of crowds you are.

Also on the attitude of the other attendees.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

...and on whether you're the Chairman and you have to deal with uncooperative hotel personnel and psychotic writers...