More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 7057
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:55 pm

"The driver of the car has been arrested." Perhaps redundant... it appears that the driver's motion was quite thoroughly arrested by that building. :shock:

It looks as if it narrowly missed being much worse than it was. If the car had been a second or two later I think it would have dead-centered the side of that bus... no telling how many casualties might have occurred.

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm
High speed to a dead end intersection, ran the red light, and kept going straight. Someone was either asleep or intosticated. Under the affluence of inkahol, or similar.
But what did they use for a ramp? {I haven't watched the video yet}

================

Now i have watched it.

Who was driving that thing - Hal Needham?
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by Bookworm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:08 pm
Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm
High speed to a dead end intersection, ran the red light, and kept going straight. Someone was either asleep or intosticated. Under the affluence of inkahol, or similar.
But what did they use for a ramp? {I haven't watched the video yet}

================

Now i have watched it.

Who was driving that thing - Hal Needham?
Looked like he hit the K-Rail (Jersey Barrier) and it launched. Possibly more sloped than most of the barriers I'm used to.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
TazManiac
Posts: 3452
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:53 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm

It was a 'T' type intersection, but the lanes in one direction are at a lower level than the ones the bus in the video is traveling on.

So the oncoming car was vaulted upwards by the difference in height between 'northbound' & 'southbound' lanes.

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:04 pm

TazManiac wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:20 pm
It was a 'T' type intersection, but the lanes in one direction are at a lower level than the ones the bus in the video is traveling on.

So the oncoming car was vaulted upwards by the difference in height between 'northbound' & 'southbound' lanes.
Yep.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by Bookworm » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm

I'll take your word for it. I don't live in California.

Here, TXDoT sort of insists that the roads be even.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm

That's also a rather old video clip.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:04 pm
I'll take your word for it. I don't live in California.

Here, TXDoT sort of insists that the roads be even.
Whether it's the lanes of one road, or it's two roads running parallel, he clearly launches up the grade separation.

==============

In SOuth Carolina there is (or was - it's been a long time since i was out that way) a stretch of US 29 where there's a mile difference in distance one the southbound and northbound lanes between Greenville and Spartanburg.

In North Carolina, there's a couple of miles on I-85 where the northbound lanes run to the left of the southbound ones.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

User avatar
lake_wrangler
Posts: 3802
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 pm

jwhouk wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:24 pm
That's also a rather old video clip.
That may be so, but it was still new to me, and just as shocking as if I had seen it when it was first posted. So there. :P

I just hope the driver is not still as careless as when this was first posted... :roll:

User avatar
AnotherFairportfan
Posts: 5883
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Looks like an outtake from a Burt Reynolds film...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.

Warrl
Posts: 1521
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: More Stuff

Post by Warrl » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:05 am

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm
In SOuth Carolina there is (or was - it's been a long time since i was out that way) a stretch of US 29 where there's a mile difference in distance one the southbound and northbound lanes between Greenville and Spartanburg.

In North Carolina, there's a couple of miles on I-85 where the northbound lanes run to the left of the southbound ones.
There's about a mile-long stretch of I-90 in Montana where the eastbound and westbound lanes are on opposite sides of the valley, with the river between them. Granted, it's a pretty narrow valley in that area...

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

We in Arizona are famous for our little highway known as Route 87 that actually has the south-westbound side cross over the north-eastbound side through some pretty impressive mountains. Ironically, it's called the "Beeline Highway".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by Bookworm » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 am

Lots of divided highways in Texas. I grew up off of one of them. There's another north of Nashville heading for Kentucky. Amazing how with the enormous distance between the sides, an accident on one can STILL slow the other side down.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
lake_wrangler
Posts: 3802
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:41 am
Lots of divided highways in Texas. I grew up off of one of them. There's another north of Nashville heading for Kentucky. Amazing how with the enormous distance between the sides, an accident on one can STILL slow the other side down.
Well, that would be because with the distance, people have to be more deliberate in their rubber-necking...

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm

So we finally decided to use a $20 off coupon card for our dinner tonight.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken, plus an order of garlic bread, and - for desert - Chocolate Chip Cannoli.

Care to guess where we ordered it?

Hint: No, Nudge, you can't have any of the Cannoli.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 7057
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Mountain View, CA, USA

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:38 pm

That would be Buca, perhaps?

Just a word of caution... that main dish is sometimes called "Heart attack on a plate". Fine for the occasional treat like one you had, but not the best thing for frequent consumption.
jwhouk wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:06 pm
Hint: No, Nudge, you can't have any of the Cannoli.
They can probably make her a lava cake. :twisted:

User avatar
jwhouk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am
Location: The Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:48 pm

The Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo was actually surprisingly good. The whole thing is better than your run-of-the-mill stuff you'd get from a frozen dinner or a typical Italian place. The alfredo sauce wasn't liquidy, and the chicken was cut into rather decent portions - not cubed, nor just one large breast piece that you had to dismember yourself. The garlic bread was great - I really have to remind myself that they serve Italian bread on the side for free - and it's filling enough that we're going to wait on the cannoli for right now.

I keep thinking that Kath must get the family "serves 4-6" size when she orders from Buca. That way she might actually get some after Cas and Atsali have devoured theirs.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by Bookworm » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Heart Attack On A Plate is generally known as Poutine.

I had a rough weekend. Friday evening, while I was working in the attic, one cat got up on a counter, then higher, knocked down a sealed box of rat poison, got it to the floor, tore the box open, and the package, and took a chunk out of one of the blocks.

The problem - bromethalin. It's not an anticoagulant, it's a neurotoxin, roughly, and there's no antidote, and really no reliable treatments.
Another problem - no idea which cat.
Harder problem - no clue how much was really eaten. I spent two hours turning my workroom over to find my gram scale, which had been moved during a cleaning. Tried emesis on both cats, and neither one puked due to the hydrogen peroxide. (late found one cat had been puking, but it appears to have been a bad reaction to the food switch that happened Friday evening _before_ the poison issue. Have him on another food, and he's not throwing that up)

So, I slept badly Friday night, and had a rough Saturday. Found the scale Saturday evening.

1 ounce block of poison is 2.84 mg of bromethalin. LD50 for cats, according to one study, is .54 mg/kg. Another has it as 1.8 mg/kg. Treatment weight (where they suggest you start treating it) is .05 mg/kg.

With a the scale, I measured an untouched block at .987 oz. The munched block was .942 (it showed 7, but then 2, so I erred on the larger bite). That means that whichever cat it was, hit _roughly_ .05 oz of the block, at most. I was worried about 1/8th to 1/10th of the block - apparently it was more like 1/20th. That means that whichever it was ate .142 mg of poison. So, even the skinny cat is at least 2kg, and is just barely above the treatment level. Fatso, the cat more likely to have done it (having a habit of hunting for food on the counters), is more like 5.4 kilos, and it means that he probably won't even show symptoms. For him, it would have been .026 mg/kg, which is below the most aggressive "treat the cat" level.

Intellectually, I know it was a cat actively trying to commit suicide, but it was still a frustrating, nerve wracking 24+ hour period. Not being able to find the tool that I _knew_ was in my workroom being one of the biggest frustrations.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

User avatar
lake_wrangler
Posts: 3802
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm

Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Heart Attack On A Plate is generally known as Poutine.
Hey! How dare you insult my "national" dish!!! :evil:
:P :lol: :mrgreen: 8-)

Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Intellectually, I know it was a cat actively trying to commit suicide,
*Is puzzled... *

How exactly would you know?

Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Not being able to find the tool that I _knew_ was in my workroom being one of the biggest frustrations.
I know what you mean... I still haven't organized my tools and various equipment (camping, sewing, etc) since moving into my house last summer, because I have yet to clean out the workshop from all the stuff that was left behind by the previous owner (he used to collect all sorts of odds and ends, as well as various scrap wood pieces, which he repurposed into various objects, in a very artistic manner - that guy was very skilful with wood...) When he left the house, his nephew came to "clean up" the place, including the workshop... he ended up taking all the tools, but leaving all the mess behind, including close to ¼" of sawdust everywhere back there... The guy even left with the mailbox! (A mailbox which his uncle, the former owner, had made, which looked like a little house...) I ended up taking the box in the back, which was used for clothespins, as my mailbox. It too, was made into the shape of a house, with two little windows and a door, and actually ressembles my house.

Meanwhile, I still have to delay doing some stuff, because I don't know where a particular set of tools or piece of equipment will be...

User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: More Stuff

Post by Bookworm » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:16 am

lake_wrangler wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Heart Attack On A Plate is generally known as Poutine.
Hey! How dare you insult my "national" dish!!! :evil:
:P :lol: :mrgreen: 8-)

I put my fingers down, and it came out. I've eaten it before. In Ottawa.
Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Intellectually, I know it was a cat actively trying to commit suicide,
*Is puzzled... *

How exactly would you know?
Cat knows it's not supposed to be up there. It put THAT MUCH EFFORT into getting, opening, and eating something it knew wasn't for it.
Bookworm wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm
Not being able to find the tool that I _knew_ was in my workroom being one of the biggest frustrations.
I know what you mean... I still haven't organized my tools and various equipment (camping, sewing, etc) since moving into my house last summer, because I have yet to clean out the workshop from all the stuff that was left behind by the previous owner (he used to collect all sorts of odds and ends, as well as various scrap wood pieces, which he repurposed into various objects, in a very artistic manner - that guy was very skilful with wood...) When he left the house, his nephew came to "clean up" the place, including the workshop... he ended up taking all the tools, but leaving all the mess behind, including close to ¼" of sawdust everywhere back there... The guy even left with the mailbox! (A mailbox which his uncle, the former owner, had made, which looked like a little house...) I ended up taking the box in the back, which was used for clothespins, as my mailbox. It too, was made into the shape of a house, with two little windows and a door, and actually ressembles my house.

Meanwhile, I still have to delay doing some stuff, because I don't know where a particular set of tools or piece of equipment will be...
Open the workshop door, and use a leaf blower. Wear a face mask.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Post Reply