More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Re: More Stuff

Post by TazManiac »

Capt'n, I've found a way to re-activate the Charcoal Filters so we don't have to recirculate the gaseous exhaust of the Crew...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

---

RING.

Hm, a 612 area code number?

(presses "accept" on phone)

"Hello?"

"You guys still suck, you know."

"Oh, hi Monica. Lovely fall day, wouldn't you say?"

"Oh, shut up, Mister 'Bucky Badger' fan."

"But you have to admit, that axe looks WONDERFUL in that shade of Cardinal red!"

"If it wasn't that I hate Ohio State more, I'd have no one to root for in the Big Ten title game."

"I know, dear. Say hi to Jet for me."

"She's a Northwestern grad. She's shaking her head at both of us."

"I bet. Just remember - chop chop!"

"Phhhhbbbt!"

(laughing as I click the "end call" button)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

17 - 14, Stanford over Cal (Berkeley) in the 120th Big Game.

Give em em the Axe! The Axe!, The Axe!

Where?, In the Neck!, the Neck, the Neck!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Axe

Stanfod vs Cal - the Big Game you say?
http://125.stanford.edu/give-em-the-axe/

I got lots of family history intertwined with Stanford, and Cal for that matter.

The students come and go, but I was Born there...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Hansontoons wrote:Locomotives still there.
Was wondering if they were inside these days.

Regarding where the last WW1 U-boat sinking by the US Navy occurred:
In water. :)
Actually, it's sort of relevant to the U505...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Paul Bunyan's Axe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stanford Axe.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:Paul Bunyan's Axe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stanford Axe.
??
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk wrote:"If it wasn't that I hate Ohio State more, I'd have no one to root for in the Big Ten title game."
My interest in Big Ten football is as follows:

1) If Purdue is playing, I want Purdue to lose.
2) If any Big Ten team is playing a team from outside the Big Ten, I want the Big Ten team to lose.
3) But in neither case do I care enough to watch a game, or check scores later.

Now guess where I went to college and how much I loved it...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Warrl wrote:
jwhouk wrote:"If it wasn't that I hate Ohio State more, I'd have no one to root for in the Big Ten title game."
My interest in Big Ten football is as follows:

1) If Purdue is playing, I want Purdue to lose.
2) If any Big Ten team is playing a team from outside the Big Ten, I want the Big Ten team to lose.
3) But in neither case do I care enough to watch a game, or check scores later.

Now guess where I went to college and how much I loved it...
You're not a Boilermaker fan either, huh?

Paul Bunyan's Axe is the trophy given to the winner of the Wisconsin-Minnesota game every year, as it has since the 1940's. UW-UM have faced each other annually since 1905, the longest continuous rivalry game in college football.

And, we have every reason to believe that our diminutive Latina attended the U in her college years.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Do they or did they have an anthropology program?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:Do they or did they have an anthropology program?
Yep.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

You know, I still have no idea why people tend to hate/love a particular sports team. I can kind of get it if you or a relative went to that particular college, or you're from that area, and the other team is their main rival. I find that also makes little sense; they have to play against several teams; beating that one specific team won't necessarily increase their standing much more than any other team, unless that rival team is the highest rated team at the moment.

But then, I haven't yet observed a sporting event where I wasn't bored the entire time.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There is a special rivalry between Wisconsin and Minnesota, as well as Wisconsin and Illinois. It does stem back to the early days of the Western League (now the Big Ten), where UW took on Minnesota, Illinois, and the University of Chicago.

Of course, it's presumed that the University of Chicago withdrew from the Big Ten because the remaining teams didn't want to schedule games against a team that had their own nukes, but that may be an apocryphal story...

There is also a bit of a dislike of Illinois residents among Wisconsinites, mostly due to their insane driving habits on our freeways and roads. This even happens up thisaways, where every FIB* and their brother is coming up to their cabins "Up North" for the weekend and are driving about 20 over on a two-lane highway.

---
* - Ask Glytch what this means, if you don't already know...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I drove through a really long construction zone right up the middle of Illinois back in June. While I was trying to slow down to the posted limit of 50 (for the construction zone itself, not the rest of the road), some ass weasel decided to wait until he was almost on my bumper before slowing, and stayed there until we got through. I didn't feel like paying for a speeding ticket, as they had cameras checking plates on that particular highway.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yeah... most people are in too much of a hurry... and they'll do some really stupid stuff, because of it...

Just last week, as I was driving my bus to the starting point of the bus line I was about to do, I had to stop at a railroad crossing. So I put my four-way flashers on, I stop, look both ways, and start again.

Would you believe that while I was looking both ways, some idiot behind me decided it would be a great time to pass me on the left! I honked at him as he reached my window, and he made a gesture as if to say "What? What's the matter?"

I just don't get it. If there is no train coming, I'll be starting up in two seconds at the most. Try a little patience, there, buddy! And if there is a train coming, and the barriers are not working right, you won't see the train (seeing as I'm blocking your field of view), and you 'll end up wasting a whole lot more than just two seconds... :roll:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:There is a special rivalry between Wisconsin and Minnesota, as well as Wisconsin and Illinois. It does stem back to the early days of the Western League (now the Big Ten), where UW took on Minnesota, Illinois, and the University of Chicago.

Of course, it's presumed that the University of Chicago withdrew from the Big Ten because the remaining teams didn't want to schedule games against a team that had their own nukes, but that may be an apocryphal story...

There is also a bit of a dislike of Illinois residents among Wisconsinites, mostly due to their insane driving habits on our freeways and roads. This even happens up thisaways, where every FIB* and their brother is coming up to their cabins "Up North" for the weekend and are driving about 20 over on a two-lane highway.

---
* - Ask Glytch what this means, if you don't already know...
Ah, well, central and southern Illinoisans aren’t quite as insane as the northern Illinoisans, especially the Chicagoans. Down here, we usually stick to 5-10 over excerpt on freeways - we go precisely 14 over on those. Southern Illinoisan drivers are even more relatively placid. Probably what caused a lot of wrecks during the post-eclipse scramble - millions of other drivers spooking a bunch of rural farmer types who usually see more wildelife than other people most of their lives.

Chicago drivers, on the other hand... they drive like it is their mission in life to kill it at least main and disfigure as many people as possible whilst behind the wheel. It’s amazing the city is still populated. And the only way to survive the traffic yourself?

“A man comes up against that kind of will, the only way to deal with it, I suspect, is to become it.”

As for FIB? Nope. Dunno that one.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hint: the I is obvious. The "F" and the "B" are perjoratives, with the "B" questioning ancestry.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:You know, I still have no idea why people tend to hate/love a particular sports team. I can kind of get it if you or a relative went to that particular college, or you're from that area, and the other team is their main rival. I find that also makes little sense; they have to play against several teams; beating that one specific team won't necessarily increase their standing much more than any other team, unless that rival team is the highest rated team at the moment.

But then, I haven't yet observed a sporting event where I wasn't bored the entire time.
I was at my dad's place while he was married to his second wife - let's see, New Year 1978.

Now, i'm not a feetball fan, but my dad, his wife and the other people there were, so we were watching feetball.

A play ran to the sidelines, and the Clemson player who had intercepted a pass was run out of bounds right in front of the Ohio State bench.

{Some people here know where this story is going.}

And the OSU coach, Woody Hayes, grabbed the guy and punched him.

Live on ABC television.

And my dad, an Illinois grad, said "Hot damn! That's it for him! Now let's get Bryant!"

That was the last game Hayes coached for OSU, and fans of all the other Big Ten teams rejoiced.

To say that he was not well-liked would be like saying that Donald Trump is annoying.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

There USED to be a rivalry between University of Texas and Texas A&M University, but UT decided to pitch a hissy fit when A&M declined to buy into UT's shady recruiting practices. So now A&M gets to square off against Alabama every year instead.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

In recognition of William Blake's 260th birthday: some dark Satanic (pepper)mills!
Attachments
Mills2.jpg
Mills2.jpg (84.16 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Jabberwonky wrote:And makes me grind my teeth over the massive bin of Lego that I lost recently... :x
Walk around your home barefoot, at night, with no lights on, and I'm sure you'll find them.