More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

There are a lot of cool things that Kohler does with toilets that might seem extravagant but do make sense, or are very practical. I don't have a financial interest or anything with the company*, but I do love their design ideas.

* - I definitely have issues with their company politics, but that's another story....
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I hadn't heard anything about their politics. That said, even though I seem to be dong okay for now, I don't expect this to be the last job I ever have. I'm hoping to pay the car off "quickly," then save up a bit of money and go to some kind of trade school or something, so I can get a job that pays me enough to survive on my own.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Kohlers were in active support of Scottie Dubya and the Wisconsin GOP.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, tonight is gonna be interesting... I got less than two hours of sleep today, and I'll be running two lines set up for retail. I think I'll be able to handle it, though. And, for once, it's a good thing I have a sensitivity to caffeine, and the self serve shop in the break room has Monster and various teas among the drink selection. That should be able to get me through tonight.

Edit: The guy I relieved was backed up, and had everything set up backwards, which made me behind until I had the supervisors send help. Other than that, it's been fine. A bit quick, but fine.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

ICYMI, the guv'ner has issued an excuse note for anyone near Houston tomorrow.
astrosparadenote.png
astrosparadenote.png (118.25 KiB) Viewed 8865 times
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I guess it's time to change my insurance provider. I'd thought that maybe the one I'd have gotten back in April, which would have covered me from May 4th until tomorrow, had just been misplaced. Well, I haven't gotten the one that would have replaced that card, so clearly they're just screwing with me. I haven't received any kind of notification stating that they won't send me a new card.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

How hard would it be for an adult who never really watched sports, to learn enough about football to act as an announcer?

I kid you not: two weeks ago, a passenger on the bus asked me if I liked football, to which I answered that I don't really watch sports... She then (either not having heard my reply, or ignoring it, I don't know) gave me her business card, saying she works for the Montreal Alouettes (that's the Canadian Football League, not the NFL...), and that they are always out looking for house announcers... and that she expects to see a demo tape soon...

While it is flattering to see a serious offer by someone who can actually do something about it, I still know next to nothing about football... Can it be learned in a decently short time frame, such that I could actually audition for it eventually?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

FWIW, maybe she liked your diction and voice. That goes a long way toward a microphone presence. It's a bit like the joke about the kid who really wasn't sure about playing basketball. The coach said he could be taught all that, but they didn't need to teach him how to be six foot seven!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

lake_wrangler wrote:How hard would it be for an adult who never really watched sports, to learn enough about football to act as an announcer?

I kid you not: two weeks ago, a passenger on the bus asked me if I liked football, to which I answered that I don't really watch sports... She then (either not having heard my reply, or ignoring it, I don't know) gave me her business card, saying she works for the Montreal Alouettes (that's the Canadian Football League, not the NFL...), and that they are always out looking for house announcers... and that she expects to see a demo tape soon...

While it is flattering to see a serious offer by someone who can actually do something about it, I still know next to nothing about football... Can it be learned in a decently short time frame, such that I could actually audition for it eventually?
So wait... is that American Football or Everyone Else's Football which is called Soccer in America? Because if it is the latter, all you really need to do is shout 'Goal! Goal! Goal!' when someone kicks it in and you'll do fine.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote: So wait... is that American Football or Everyone Else's Football which is called Soccer in America? Because if it is the latter, all you really need to do is shout 'Goal! Goal! Goal!' when someone kicks it in and you'll do fine.
This is Canadian football. It looks like American football, but they use meters instead of yards, and I heard that the field is somewhat narrower (while also being longer, since meters are longer than yards...) There are other differences, but I don't know them.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

EGS SPOILERS

Anybody else freaking out about today's EGS strip? Because I am. I kinda thought Sirleck possessing someone would render them brain-dead, and I hadn't no idea how attached I was to Ellen until this morning when I had a minor heart attack upon seeing her current state.

I'm thinking the dewitchery diamond might be of use to maybe seperate the two without killing Ellen. Or perhaps Susan's anti-aberration powers? Or maybe Tara's wife, the smart Griffin... she might figure something out. Yes I'm totally inventorying every potential way to save Ellen I can think of because god damn it I don't want her to die.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Lake, mon ami, the CFL plays on a larger field with more players and some stranger rules than American Football.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Stranger rules? I guess if you're used to American... we have some weird rules too.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Yeah, I'm kinda hoping in a sort of odd way that the TR4 makes people stop panicking about GMO food and hopefully there will be several varieties engineered - they'd all get patented, but hopefully there'd be enough different patented genomes to allow for regular competition, as opposed to the slow creep towards Uber-conglomerate-companies.
At least one GMO cultivar of Cavendish does seem to have promise.

It's possible that public concern about GMO might not be too severe in this case, since the gene in question is being transferred from another species of banana.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 091806.htm
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Wrangler,

It can be done; esp considering you need the following:

- Knowledge of the Sport (I think this is the main concern, more later...)

- A good ability to speak without putting folks to sleep OR irritating them. Much more important than being 'pleasant' or 'melodious'. Be f'real.

- Be sharp enough to 'play well with others', there is likely going to be someone else doing some announcing near-by, as well as folks handing you stuff, stuff you pick up on your own ("Hey!, I just noticed...", etc, etc).

Now then; not knowing the Sport is less a problem than you might think, AND it might be an initial benefit: "Hi, this is Lake Wrangler, your Know-Nothing Sports Announcer, so round up all your know-nuth'n friends and lets do this!"

But really though, you can pick up the fundamentals in less than a day and be proficient in a few days, over a weekend. (Good thing it aint Baseball they want you to announce for...) 8])

Beyond that comes fine tuning and developing an individuality; but thats your carrer's goal.

Give it a shot...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Now then; not knowing the Sport is less a problem than you might think, AND it might be an initial benefit: "Hi, this is Lake Wrangler, your Know-Nothing Sports Announcer, so round up all your know-nuth'n friends and lets do this!"
Ha! Cute... :lol:
TazManiac wrote:But really though, you can pick up the fundamentals in less than a day and be proficient in a few days, over a weekend. (Good thing it aint Baseball they want you to announce for...) 8])
That's what I want to know: where do I find the information? Do I just Google it? Look it up on Wikipedia? Is there an actual learn-football-in-10-easy-lessons web site, somewhere? What?
TazManiac wrote:Beyond that comes fine tuning and developing an individuality; but thats your carrer's goal.
Yeah. Let's just take it one step at a time...
TazManiac wrote:Give it a shot...
I admit, it is tempting... If I could just get over the getting-to-know-the-sport hurdle... Particularly since this was a serious offer, complete with business card and expectation of a soon-to-come demo...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

ahem...

Google is your friend, but it helps to be creative in what you search for.
(At one point my imagination thought it will be a good idea to get botht he recorded video of & the transcripts for a sporting event(s) and synch/practice right over the top of whats on the TV...

btw- I have vetted absolutely none of the following links.

https://www.canadafootballchat.com/foot ... ng-drives/

https://thegalsgotgame.com/cfl-football ... son-1-cfl/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football

Folks produce YouTube Videos of their announcing, I think this one is part of the guy's resume...

A Compilation of ESPN ‘SportsCenter’ Clichés
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... iches.html

https://www.workinsports.com/blog/five- ... announcer/

http://study.com/articles/Become_a_Spor ... admap.html

http://schoolvideonews.com/Pre-Producti ... nd-the-mic

doooo eeeeet...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Thanks for the leads. I will definitely follow up on those.

And thanks for not linking me to "let me Google that for you"...
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Now then; not knowing the Sport is less a problem than you might think, AND it might be an initial benefit: "Hi, this is Lake Wrangler, your Know-Nothing Sports Announcer, so round up all your know-nuth'n friends and lets do this!"
Ha! Cute... :lol:
Maybe you could actually make that work for you by being part of a two-person announcer team. There can be you, and then a guy who actually knows what's going on. He can say that McSimmons just flidged the ball to the hurkle by snoffling, and you can ask what that means, and he can explain it. That might get people who know less about the sport more interested in the announcing.

Or people can just have fun listening to you announcing in your own weird special way.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

There’s an interesting storytelling tool called the audience avatar - it’s generally a character who doesn’t know much about the world the story is set in. Sometimes this can make them seem a bit daft, dense, thick, or otherwise oblivious, and sometimes this can be to a comedic effect.

For example, Harry Potter, being the audience avatar, was about as observant as a brick wall. That’s ok, though, because he was completely separated from this world by the Dursleys... so he could ask questions about pretty much everything, even years into his wizarding education without it being too weird, allowing the audience to learn and sometimes making the plot go.

Now, you don’t have to be quite so involved, but you can be the avatar of all those poor people who get dragged along to the game who would really rather be at home reading a book and know precisely nothing about the game.
I'm too much!