More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

My wallpaper changer has been putting up interesting quotes, lately...
“By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.” - Charles Wadsworth
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

2bluehair.png
2bluehair.png (116.27 KiB) Viewed 9133 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

FPF: Yikes! Have the Gav clones in the Schlock Mercenary universe morphed more than I thought? :shock: :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Typeminer wrote:FPF: Yikes! Have the Gav clones in the Schlock Mercenary universe morphed more than I thought? :shock: :mrgreen:
That's an earlier version of Princess Peonie from Exiern, with a negative version of her hair colour (normally a mahogany/auburn shade).
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I ended up buying the complete series of The Legend of Korra on bluray last week. I had only seen the first season and a couple snippets of later episodes, but I have to say I'm impressed. The show has a much darker tone than The Last Airbender, of which, for those who don't know, Legend of Korra is a spinoff, taking place around 70 years later.

It's got a lot of political maneuvering, as well as some heady subjects like PTSD.

This show is a trip and a half, and I highly recommend giving it a watch.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

On a completely unrelated note, here's another quote given by my wallpaper changer:
“I never know what to get my father for his birthday. I gave him a hundred dollars and said, 'Buy yourself something that will make your life easier.' So he went out and bought a present for my mother.” - Rita Rudner
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

I'll put Legend of Korra on the to watch list. Kiddo's asked to marathon Avatar with me, we've made it through season one.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's a quote from my wallpaper changer for you computer savvy people out there:
“A distributed system is one in which the failure of a computer you didn't even know existed can render your own computer unusable.” - Leslie Lamport
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

chicgeek wrote:I'll put Legend of Korra on the to watch list. Kiddo's asked to marathon Avatar with me, we've made it through season one.
I was fortunate to be able to watch Avatar: the last Airbender while it was still available on Netflix... I tried to go back and watch it again later on, and they had removed it. Legend of Korra is available still (and I managed to watch it through twice). Better hurry before it's gone...

Another one that pissed me off that they removed, was Doctor Who. I had watched it all once before (starting with the first season of the revival, with Christopher Eccleston, all the way to the first season of Peter Cappali's tenure), and I started to watch it again, only to have it disappear in a wisp of smoke, after I had re-watched only a few episodes...

*Please note, I am speaking of Netflix in Canada. Show availability differs from country to country...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

lake_wrangler wrote:Here's a quote from a webcomic, this time:
Crying is like puking for the soul. - Luna, from Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire
And a counterpoint, from a quote displayed by my wallpaper changer:
“There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief...and unspeakable love.” - Washington Irving
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I don't recall putting this one up yet...
“A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success.” - Robert Purvis
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My supervisor told me yesterday that I will be getting a raise, and I may even be able to move to the parts department as a parts runner, making deliveries.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:My supervisor told me yesterday that I will be getting a raise, and I may even be able to move to the parts department as a parts runner, making deliveries.
Are you going to become a brilliant SF/fantasy writer, like Glenn Cook?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I don't know anything about that author.

However, I have been "working" on some SF writing off and on for the past few years. I haven't done much with it in a while though, because I haven't felt like writing for a while. Even if I did manage to write anything and get it published, and it was pretty good, I don't see myself as writing novel after novel. Besides, I doubt anything I created would be good enough to warrant much attention.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

How about this quote...
“Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.” - Frank Zappa
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yet another one (rather amusing, at that):
Dwarves don't apologize, Princess. We go to war! - Bognok, King of the dwarves of Hilmdel, The Dreamland Chronicles
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"There is no finer confidence than that born of Ignorance,"
"People speak ill of the thought process of a flea- I feel this is a grave injustice. 'Flea brain' is used as a nasty insult, yet when if you consider the thought-per-milligram capacity of the creature, his intelligence is astounding. Why, you can teach a flea nearly as much as you can teach a congressman..."
"God made the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
-Samuel Langhorn Clemmons, better known as Mark Twain

"You have the mind of a five-year-old child... and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it..."
"You've been talking the whole time we've been standing here- you must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle..."
"I have a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it."
- Groucho Marx
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote:I don't know anything about that author.

However, I have been "working" on some SF writing off and on for the past few years. I haven't done much with it in a while though, because I haven't felt like writing for a while. Even if I did manage to write anything and get it published, and it was pretty good, I don't see myself as writing novel after novel. Besides, I doubt anything I created would be good enough to warrant much attention.
Glen Cook is a fine SF/fantasy writer, now retired from working at a GM plant as a parts chaser - he says he wrote better when he was working.

His "Black Company" and "Garrett" books are very well-regarded. (Garrett is a classic hardboiled PI -= sort of a combination of Marlowe and Archie Goodwin {_Archie has Nero Wolfe; Garrett has the Dead Man} in a magical world.

I prefer Garrett, but the Black Company books are fine, too.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

So... Thats what Scotty has in the Warp Core of the Enterprise, right? A captive Whatsit...