More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

I went to see Venom today. I enjoyed it, and I'm already excited for the sequel. Especially if they keep the same actor for the hinted-at villain for said sequel. I'd never seen that actor play a bad guy, and I want to see what he can do.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Ugh... Someone working overtime tonight has to continually come to my work space, because she's building the hinges that go into the autocell I'm using... And she smells like she doesn't know how to handle basic hygiene at all.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:20 am Ugh... Someone working overtime tonight has to continually come to my work space, because she's building the hinges that go into the autocell I'm using... And she smells like she doesn't know how to handle basic hygiene at all.
First, I get it.

Secondly, I've been there.

Thirdly, I've been there- but on both sides mind you...

there is no four.

Lastly, it's important that while you not subsume the reaction it brings from you, it's a fellow human bean. You shouldn't have to put up with it, (and this includes Axe Body Spray or too much cover-up odors of any kind)- still...

Anyway to (oops, entering rhetorical mode, cant help it) help your coworker understand you reeeeeealy don't want to go postal over an accumulation of slights to your own personal space, a placing of burdens on an already burdensome work-needs-doing situation, "Hey!, I'm Walk'n, er Work'n Here!" intrusion into your flow...

yet all these and shes a human bean. just like me, like any of us.

It's a drag being stinky. (anybody get so stinky you offended yer Own self? :oops: )

You shouldn't have to deal with this, but the choice is put up with it or give the feedback, that admittedly requires a deft hand to both produce the desired result, but also avoid the pain of offense.

He he.. didn't ask fer all this answer-mak'n, just wanted to share a bit, did't'cha?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Another thing to consider, is that if the person was never taught any better, they may not even realize that they smell...

Back when I was working at a summer camp as the Horse Director (i.e. in charge of the barn and the horseback riding program), I worked with those horses all day, so that the smell was no longer offending, to me. Ergo, I did not smell it on me, either. I had to be told that we (the horse staff) really did smell, whenever we got back into camp. So after that, I made it a habit of cleaning up and changing clothes before each meal, regardless of whether I smelled it on me or not (because, really, I did not smell it, and really could not tell).
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:41 pm Another thing to consider, is that if the person was never taught any better, they may not even realize that they smell...

Back when I was working at a summer camp as the Horse Director (i.e. in charge of the barn and the horseback riding program), I worked with those horses all day, so that the smell was no longer offending, to me. Ergo, I did not smell it on me, either. I had to be told that we (the horse staff) really did smell, whenever we got back into camp. So after that, I made it a habit of cleaning up and changing clothes before each meal, regardless of whether I smelled it on me or not (because, really, I did not smell it, and really could not tell).
Reminds me of the summer I spent shoveling out pig barns (among other fun agricultural endeavors) at my mom's family's farm. I changed clothes and bagged the clothes and boots I'd been wearing before driving home every day, and my dad still gave me grief about the smell in the car. Mostly, in retrospect, because he thought it was funny, since he wouldn't let me quit unless I found another job, and I was working till dark every day. For $1/hour.

Still the worst job I ever had. My uncle was paying me, but he, his wife, my cousin, and my grandfather all gave me conflicting orders every day. (The cousin would lie to me to avoid work and set me up for the fall, since he was conscript labor. He's a dead lawyer now.) Hated it so much that I was seriously afraid I'd never be able to hold a job.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Never work for or with family.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm Never work for or with family.
Or with Family, unless they make you an offer that you really can't refuse.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm
GlytchMeister wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:10 pm Never work for or with family.
Or with Family, unless they make you an offer that you really can't refuse.
Like sleeping with the fishes? *pours sardines all over Catawampus' bed*
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm Or with Family, unless they make you an offer that you really can't refuse.
I knew a family of philosophers once... followers of Bertrand Russell's ideas. In order to work with them, you had to offer to refuse Kant.
Bookworm wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 pm Like sleeping with the fishes? *pours sardines all over Catawampus' bed*
Ugh... that's one mattress which will never be the same again. Might as well just burn it now. :(
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 pm
Catawampus wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:23 pm Or with Family, unless they make you an offer that you really can't refuse.
I knew a family of philosophers once... followers of Bertrand Russell's ideas. In order to work with them, you had to offer to refuse Kant.
Is that so they could find the right Nietzsche in life?
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Dave wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:37 pm
Bookworm wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 pm Like sleeping with the fishes? *pours sardines all over Catawampus' bed*
Ugh... that's one mattress which will never be the same again. Might as well just burn it now. :(
For similar reasons, I don't fornicate with mermaids.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Couple of random things:
  • A few days ago as I was driving around downtown Mesa in my Big Yellow Box, I saw a car with a bumper sticker in stylized script, "SASSENACH." It was on a Toyota, I think.
  • The Sick must be really going around. I caught it last week, Sarah got it Thursday, and random people have been out all over the place. I suspect some lovely Snowbird brought it down to the Valley with them.
  • This thread's getting up there in posts and pages; we need to worry about it, Bookworm?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

My only concern about it is that anyone that wants to start reading it is going to be put off by how many pages they have to churn through.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Bookworm wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:44 am My only concern about it is that anyone that wants to start reading it is going to be put off by how many pages they have to churn through.
The subject line would tend to make new people think it isn't something that they really need to read from the beginning...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah, that’s what happened with me. I took one look at (was it this one or the original Stuff thread back then?) one of these threads and went “holy crap,” but then went ahead and looked at the first few pages and then the last few pages.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The next thread could be "Even More Stuff". Or "More Stuff II: Stuff Harder!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

jwhouk wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm The next thread could be "Even More Stuff". Or "More Stuff II: Stuff Harder!"
"Stuff it! Stuff it good!"
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The past couple of posts sound dirty.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:45 pm The past couple of posts sound dirty.
Get your mind out of the gutter. You're blocking my skylight.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My dad and I both got a jury duty summons the other day, probably for the same date.