More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, I'm gonna get an Imgur account or something after work. I have two pictures of him, and I may take a few more if I go to my brother's. He's got all the stuff I need to do a detail job on my car, and I need to get some updates for my PS4 anyway.

I'd been working at a machine that has a robot building the seats for me, but it's moving so fast I can barely keep up. I'm getting my ass kicked by a robot.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

If only the damn kitten would hold still and look at the camera long enough for me to take a picture...

My brother's cat, who looks like a larger version of the kitten, was playing with him earlier, just flipping his tail for the kitten to try and grab at it.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Welp, the Bydureon experiment is done.

My doctor put me on this new medication, Bydureon exenatide injectable. The goal was to reduce my A1C score (long-term blood sugar count) by at least a point, and also help me to lose weight by making me feel "fuller" when it came time to eat.

Only a few problems cropped up:

1. The major side effect of the medication is bloating, nausea, gas, and possible vomiting. I have been having heartburn flashes and belch/gas issues for the last four weeks.
2. Another side effect - the other end of things, ifyouknowhatImean. Can you say "colon blow"?
3. The cost of the pens. You get four of them at a time (one month's supply, essentially). My co-pay for them is $50. You don't want to know how much insurance pays for the rest.
4. Injection site issues. After the first time I did it, each of the subsequent times I injected the stuff into me the area around it got red and welt-like. It was like having a really bad bug bite, and even now the first two haven't gone away.

And this is where the experiment ended. I did my weekly injection on Friday afternoon, this time slightly away from my mid-section. I went off to work, and by the next morning my left side where I'd injected myself felt like it was itching like crazy - along with the other two sites. When I finally got home, Sarah noticed that the one injection site was red - about the size of a baseball - and very puffy. When she touched it, it was warm to the touch - and I flinched like she'd slapped me.

I tried to get some sleep, but this thing kept bothering me. Because I live in MOFNW, Wisconsin, I had to hoof it down to Wausau and the Aspirus Hospital ER (where we waited for about two hours to be seen). They gave me some antibiotics to help with the swelling and redness, and told me to stop taking the stuff, and follow up with my doc next week.

Looks like I'm going to be playing doctor phone tag instead of having a nice anniversary day on Monday.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Antibiotics?

Sounds more like a near-anaphylactic thing...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Only a few problems cropped up:

1. The major side effect of the medication is bloating, nausea, gas, and possible vomiting. I have been having heartburn flashes and belch/gas issues for the last four weeks.
2. Another side effect - the other end of things, ifyouknowhatImean. Can you say "colon blow"?
3. The cost of the pens. You get four of them at a time (one month's supply, essentially). My co-pay for them is $50. You don't want to know how much insurance pays for the rest.
4. Injection site issues. After the first time I did it, each of the subsequent times I injected the stuff into me the area around it got red and welt-like. It was like having a really bad bug bite, and even now the first two haven't gone away.
I'm gonna agree with Glytch on this one. #4 sounds VERY much like an allergic reaction, and in light of that, #1 and/or #2 could also be allergic reactions.

People who're having severe reactions to new medications really shouldn't need a doctor's advice to stop taking them, IMHO. Maybe to pin down that that's the likely cause of the reactions (e.g. if you start a new medication and start feeling feverish and throwing up in the middle of a flu epidemic, perhaps the new medicine isn't the problem)...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The pitch for this medication is risk/reward. The injection site thing is a known side effect, but the medication does what it's billed to do.

Either way, I'm not taking it anymore, and my doctor is going to find out about it on Monday.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

What I'm confused about is why would they give antibiotics and not tell you to take Benadryl? I understand giving antibiotics as a preventative measure or as a "hey maybe this guy didn't clean the injection site right" and as a response to the gastric problems (also a "just in case" seeing as the med can cause this as a side effect)... but to not also instruct for Benadryl or something?

Really?
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Hydrocortisone and anti-itch creams weren't eliminating the redness.

I should clarify that the redness is about the size of a baseball. It's puffy, but not bulged out to that size.

Still calling the clinic in the morning.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

OOOOOH.

Ok.

That's not as bad. So it's just redness in a circle with r=baseball, not a spherical bulge of r=baseball.

Ok. In addition to the lack of hydrocortisone and anti-itch creams, I still find it a bit odd but not as odd to not tell you to take Benadryl. Maybe there's an interaction risk. *shrugs*

I'm not a doctor, I just sometimes hang out with combat medics and pharmacists and EMT's and nurses and have lots of first aid training. So they've probably got you covered.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Thank you for saving it, but take it to the vet just to be safe. Might have internal hemorrhaging or some other sneaky problem.

Plus, new animals always go to the vet, for shots, anti parasitical chewies, getting sterilized, etc.
Make tomorrow better today... spay your catgirls!
Wait. Catgirls? What?
Fixed it for you Shneekey.

Glytch, you'd need to invisibly immerse yourself at an anime con like ACen to understand the horrors of the rabid fangirl knockoff nekomimi horrors known as catgirls.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, because my mom and dad are going to Ohio in a couple weeks or so, they told my brother to hold onto the kitten until then, unless someone else decides to claim the little guy. My cat would follow the kitten and sniff at him whenever the kitten wasn't looking his way, and whenever he did, my cat would hiss at him and sometimes quickly scoot away under the table.

I did get a couple of pictures, but I didn't set up an account to host them yet. Too much goofing around over the weekend.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Alkarii wrote:Well, because my mom and dad are going to Ohio in a couple weeks or so, they told my brother to hold onto the kitten until then, unless someone else decides to claim the little guy. My cat would follow the kitten and sniff at him whenever the kitten wasn't looking his way, and whenever he did, my cat would hiss at him and sometimes quickly scoot away under the table.

I did get a couple of pictures, but I didn't set up an account to host them yet. Too much goofing around over the weekend.
You know, if you have pictures on your computer (or whatever device you're posting from), you can click the "Upload attachment" link at the bottom of the page and upload them directly, instead of having to host them online somewhere.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Oh, really?
"Why, I never knew that!"
"Why, I never knew that!"
3678.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 7815 times
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The file size is too big for me to do that, apparently.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Yeah, that hit me occasionally some time ago. I found I had to reduce the resolution down to a few hundred pixels using The Gimp (or some other image processing tool) and save it as a moderate-quality JPEG to get it below the forum's limit.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:Yeah, that hit me occasionally some time ago. I found I had to reduce the resolution down to a few hundred pixels using The Gimp (or some other image processing tool) and save it as a moderate-quality JPEG to get it below the forum's limit.
The larger versions of my avatars i post here are PNG format.

I usually used PagePlus X9, my DTP program, to resize images, since it will resize them and then export them as JPG or PNG without too much loss of quality.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, but I don't have those on my phone...

Also, damn it, why does my card keep getting declined around this time in the morning?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Probably the time of day, and possibly because of your bank. Maybe give them a call, tell them that you actually use the card this time of day, and ask what you can do about it - maybe two-factor verification, or something like that (depending on what kind of card it is).
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Another in the series of "You may live in a rural small town if...":

ATV Rider Dies After Crash With Bear
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Noticed that all the comments are about whether the bear is okay. ATV riders are popular there, too, apparently. :twisted:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.