More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

More Stuff

Post by Jabberwonky »

Cool satellite picture here.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

That photo was surprising but not shocking.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:That photo was surprising but not shocking.
it was to ME... I lived there all my life until i went into the navy after high school, and i never knew that the lakes got covered over in THAT much ice... granted, i lived inland, just outside of Detroit and didn't really go to the water all that often, but still you'd figure it would have been more common knowledge than that... i never knew, oh well! learn something new every day!...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Everybody loves pie; though it can't be healthy to wolf it down like that. ;) Here's the original video, if anyone's interested. ProTip: For endless entertainment, search YouTube for "batman eats a hotdog." Folks have put some...interesting spins on that scene.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Speaking of cats:

Found in this slideshow
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Saw the cat thing on The Worst Things for Sale. Right now they also have the Perfect Bacon Bowl.

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

shadowinthelight wrote:Saw the cat thing on The Worst Things for Sale. Right now they also have the Perfect Bacon Bowl.

I hate seeing those bacon bowl commercials. They come on all the freaking time it seems. It makes me want bacon while face-palming for this actually becoming a marketed product.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Saw the cat thing on The Worst Things for Sale. Right now they also have the Perfect Bacon Bowl.

EDIT: Mouthwatering image
I hate seeing those bacon bowl commercials. They come on all the freaking time it seems. It makes me want bacon while face-palming for this actually becoming a marketed product.
I second that motion. And the one about the 'stuffed burger' thingamajigger.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

From an email my best friend sent me today:

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):
"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our
pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

How can you not love Texas?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:From an email my best friend sent me today:

In 1952, Armon M. Sweat, Jr., a member of the Texas House of Representatives, was asked about his position on whiskey. What follows is his exact answer (taken from the Political Archives of Texas):
"If you mean whiskey, the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean that evil drink that topples Christian men and women from the pinnacles of righteous and gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, shame, despair, helplessness, and hopelessness, then, my friend, I am opposed to it with every fiber of my being.

However, if by whiskey you mean the lubricant of conversation, the philosophic juice, the elixir of life, the liquid that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer, the stimulating sip that puts a little spring in the step of an elderly gentleman on a frosty morning; if you mean that drink that enables man to magnify his joy, and to forget life's great tragedies and heartbreaks and sorrow; if you mean that drink the sale of which pours into Texas treasuries untold millions of dollars each year, that provides tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our
pitifully aged and infirm, to build the finest highways, hospitals, universities, and community colleges in this nation, then my friend, I am absolutely, unequivocally in favor of it.

This is my position, and as always, I refuse to compromise on matters of principle."

Mentioned to me by a Texan about a Texan(politician).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:I hate seeing those bacon bowl commercials. They come on all the freaking time it seems. It makes me want bacon while face-palming for this actually becoming a marketed product.
I second that motion. And the one about the 'stuffed burger' thingamajigger.
In a previous life (which ended last summer) I worked at a company making a commercial home digital video recorder. One of the things I worked on was the anonymous-correlation software... a whole system which could reliably match up data between TV watching histories, commercial-exposures (based on which commercials aired when, on what stations) and household-purchase data from major store chains. I was (and am) rather insanely proud of the way it can do all of this in a way that's securely anonymized and "blinded" by cryptography, so that the companies doing the matching (including the one I worked at) were unable to know who watched a particular show or bought a particular product, but could reliably report trends and correlations (e.g. households where someone saw a particular food commercial at least once were 10% more likely to buy it, than households who never saw the commercial).

My hope was that we could finally prove to the world that the more Bowflex commercial reruns a person is forced to endure, the less likely they are to ever buy one... and thus that running the same blankety-blank commercial six times during a one-hour show is an utter waste of money and patience. :lol:

Unfortunately I never got anyone to run this particular query. :( That was probably my one shot at a Nobel Prize for humanitarian efforts.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:In a previous life (which ended last summer) I worked at a company making a commercial home digital video recorder. One of the things I worked on was the anonymous-correlation software... a whole system which could reliably match up data between TV watching histories, commercial-exposures (based on which commercials aired when, on what stations) and household-purchase data from major store chains. I was (and am) rather insanely proud of the way it can do all of this in a way that's securely anonymized and "blinded" by cryptography, so that the companies doing the matching (including the one I worked at) were unable to know who watched a particular show or bought a particular product, but could reliably report trends and correlations (e.g. households where someone saw a particular food commercial at least once were 10% more likely to buy it, than households who never saw the commercial).

My hope was that we could finally prove to the world that the more Bowflex commercial reruns a person is forced to endure, the less likely they are to ever buy one... and thus that running the same blankety-blank commercial six times during a one-hour show is an utter waste of money and patience. :lol:

Unfortunately I never got anyone to run this particular query. :( That was probably my one shot at a Nobel Prize for humanitarian efforts.
God bless you for that.
The worst case I was ever involved in friends and I were watching the local late Fri. night horror movie program, Project Terror. During one break a Darda Buggy commercial ran three time in a row. We sang the hook of that song to each other for years, and even now if one of us starts it, all of us join in.
And God bless yootoob for having both of them :lol:
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Why do stories like this make me want to just give up? Image

California Couple Finds $10M Buried Treasure in Back Yard
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:God bless you for that.
The worst case I was ever involved in friends and I were watching the local late Fri. night horror movie program, Project Terror. During one break a Darda Buggy commercial ran three time in a row. We sang the hook of that song to each other for years, and even now if one of us starts it, all of us join in.
And God bless yootoob for having both of them :lol:
Is it bad I actually have a few of those that I ended up dumping into my son's voluminous Hot Wheels/Matchbox trunk?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:From an email my best friend sent me today:

That's just plain cool. I think I need to share that with a few of my whiskey-loving, Texas-proud friends. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Julie wrote:That's just plain cool. I think I need to share that with a few of my whiskey-loving, Texas-proud friends. :)
i agree that it IS cool, but too bad that was way back in '52... try and get a politico to say anything like that TODAY and you'll just get mealy-mouthed wishy-washy platitudes that are eminently forgettable, and are only what "The Polls" say are "popular"
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:Is it bad I actually have a few of those
Yes, that's bad.
that I ended up dumping into my son's voluminous Hot Wheels/Matchbox trunk?
That's worse.

You must buy him some of these, quickly, to make up for it. ;)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

shadowinthelight wrote:Why do stories like this make me want to just give up? Image

California Couple Finds $10M Buried Treasure in Back Yard
It should make you tear up the back yard...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Is it bad I actually have a few of those
Yes, that's bad.
that I ended up dumping into my son's voluminous Hot Wheels/Matchbox trunk?
That's worse.

You must buy him some of these, quickly, to make up for it. ;)
Those are so effin' cool I don't have words for it... :o

And makes me grind my teeth over the massive bin of Lego that I lost recently... :x