More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:06 am Concidering all the track layering that went into the original, I'm ok w/ the live version(s) being taken on by interpretive others...
I had heard (read?) about the track layering that went on for the original. It was literally unheard of, at the time.
TazManiac wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:06 amedit- And then I clicked the link and found it pretty good. (I must admit the use of such proper anounciation was hilarious...)
Glad you enjoyed it.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:07 pm I made another visit to the military surplus store earlier today, after getting my first haircut in more than a year. This time, I picked up an old military issue lensatic compass in great condition, and it came with a pouch that uses an ALICE clip for attachment. That's a little unfortunate, as I prefer MOLLE, but it looks like adapters are fairly cheap.

I also got some reading material... in the form of old field manuals from the '60s and '70s.
So, did you get the manual on how to figure out magnetic declination and the like when using your compass?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

No, I already know that stuff. I was in JROTC for three years, and every year we had a land nav class. I also had another class of it in Ft Benning during basic, as well.

The manuals I got are FM 21-76: Survival (printed in October 1970), FM 21-11: First Aid for Soldiers (June '76), FM 5-31: Boobytraps (Sept. '65), and FM 5-25: Explosives and Demolitions (May '67).

All four are in pretty good condition.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'd discovered this old music video a few days ago, and I'd been vibing to the song lately.

Type O Negative - I Don't Wanna Be Me

Yeah. That is the guy from Fantastic Beasts.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Happened to run across this. Pretty neat.

5 Christmas songs turned so insane, I'm 99% sure you will be HORRIFIED!!!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

In the same vein:

5 happy songs made 100% sad
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And again:

5 nursery rhymes turned so dark, I'm 99% sure you will be HORRIFIED

I have to admit, I love the titles he gives to the modified versions...

Old MacDonald Has An Empire
Row, Row, Row Your Starship Destroyer
Twinkle Twinkle Eternal Darkness
Mary Had A Scheming Lamb
If You're Insane and You Know It

:mrgreen:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

And one more:

5 peaceful songs turned epic

Featuring:
0:04​ Prelude in E Minor
1:55​ Prelude in Epic Minor
5:24​ Clair de Lune
7:50​ Clair de Lunatic
12:04​ Gymnopedie no.1
13:45​ GymnoFORSPARTA
16:32​ Comptine d'un autre ete
18:47​ Comptine d'une LéGeNdE
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Similar, yet different...

Top 10 Giant Piano Performances Compilation [NEW HD]

Starting from number 5 down, they make it look like a form of exercise, at the same time... Impressive.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And now my small contribution to light entertainment this season.

Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Try this live performance by the Roches {1983 on Soundstage - i saw them here in Atlanta on that tour and several others}:

In 1990 i saw them at Atlanta Music Midtown III ... and caught them coming off stage to deliver a message from a mutual friend :Bill Davis of Dash Rip Rock} who had played the day before and wasn't able to say an extra day to touch base.

They appeared as "The Singing Roach Sisters" which included a joke that you had to be familiar with their stage personas to understand {or even to recognise ts WAS a joke}.

The Roches on Animaniacs {only part of the bit and missing the in-joke...}:

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:32 pm Try this live performance by the Roches {1983 on Soundstage - i saw them here in Atlanta on that tour and several others}:
That was a pretty neat interpretation. Thanks for sharing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

With everyone going on Zoom nowadays, it was only a matter of time before ventriloquist dummies did too... And they're so good at it, you don't even see the ventriloquist's mouth move!

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The mighty hunter has struck again! :mrgreen:

About halfway through my Christmas vacation week, I happened to check on my glue board mouse trap, and there just happened to be another mouse caught and dehydrated on it. But I guess it had already been there a few days (I had stopped checking them regularly, a few weeks ago...), because when I went to remove it from the glue board, the hair was staying behind. Not wanting to bother any further, I just threw the whole thing into the garbage.

Today, I am taking the other glue board from the upstairs bathroom, where it had not caught anything, and placing it in the kitchen, where the other board has been twice successful (thrice, if you count the fact that the first time, there were two mice on it...)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:35 pm The mighty hunter has struck again! :mrgreen:

About halfway through my Christmas vacation week, I happened to check on my glue board mouse trap, and there just happened to be another mouse caught and dehydrated on it. But I guess it had already been there a few days (I had stopped checking them regularly, a few weeks ago...), because when I went to remove it from the glue board, the hair was staying behind. Not wanting to bother any further, I just threw the whole thing into the garbage.

Today, I am taking the other glue board from the upstairs bathroom, where it had not caught anything, and placing it in the kitchen, where the other board has been twice successful (thrice, if you count the fact that the first time, there were two mice on it...)
I detest glue boards because I consider them inhumane. I have nothing against killing the suckers, I just feel that there's no reason to add torture to the list. I use snap traps.
(They pitch glue boards as being a humane trap, yet you've already listed why they definitely aren't. People don't check them)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:40 pmI detest glue boards because I consider them inhumane. I have nothing against killing the suckers, I just feel that there's no reason to add torture to the list. I use snap traps.
(They pitch glue boards as being a humane trap, yet you've already listed why they definitely aren't. People don't check them)
I was using snap tracks before, but these mice have managed to eat the bait while still not activating the trap... So I had no choice, but to switch strategy.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:14 pm
Bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:40 pmI detest glue boards because I consider them inhumane. I have nothing against killing the suckers, I just feel that there's no reason to add torture to the list. I use snap traps.
I was using snap tracks before, but these mice have managed to eat the bait while still not activating the trap... So I had no choice, but to switch strategy.
Switch the bait around a bit. You want a bait they have to either tug out (bacon rind, for example), or put pressure on (peanut butter). You also want to bait the area with the 'food' for a few days so that they get the idea that it's legitimate food. Apparently rats and other rodents smell food on the breath of other rats, and that triggers "This is legitimate!" I've had really good luck with peanut butter. I also had to make sure to use both rat traps and mouse traps, because I had both in the attic. (I can share pictures!)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

We had tree rats in our attic crawl space and elsewhere a few years ago. I hired a local pest-control outfit to help me deal with them. Good investment.

The rep looked over the house and pointed out where they'd been entering the building (a small gap in the siding up on one roof section, and a couple of access points around the foundation). He advised me to focus on sealing the whole perimeter of the crawl space including the foundation vents (using wire mesh or sheet-metal flashing where possible) as this would be more effective than trying to seal the gaps around every pipe coming up from beneath the house. He said that it would be less expensive for me to do it myself than for me to pay his team to do it.

I sealed up all of the entry points, his team installed a bunch of traps which cleared out all of the rats within a few weeks (this company charges by the rat, not by the hour), and the sealing-exclusion worked. We haven't had a rat anywhere indoors in the years since, although we've often seen them outdoors in the trees at dusk (they're common in the Silicon Valley neighborhood "forests").

So, I'd recommend a serious effort at sealing up gaps and openings, as part of any anti-rodent campaign. Use stuff they can't chew through easily. Galvanized-steel "hardware cloth" folded a few layers thick is excellent, and you can roll and bend it and shove it into openings to block them. A final sealing-up with a fire-block-rated expanding foam is a good touch, too.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

If you're using bacon as bait you can use heavy thread - like what's sometimes called "carpet thread" - to tie it down and make it harder to steal.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.