More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: More Stuff

Post by jwhouk »

They're allowed to drive on the roads up here. Some are more okay with that than others.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Typeminer wrote:Noticed that all the comments are about whether the bear is okay. ATV riders are popular there, too, apparently. :twisted:
Well, the outcome for the ATV rider was known. The bear, not. And lots of people like bears (I prefer them at a certain distance).
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

So do I. That's why I don't have an ATV.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:Noticed that all the comments are about whether the bear is okay. ATV riders are popular there, too, apparently. :twisted:
It's not all just about collisions, either. It's about secondary lethality.

Just one intoxicated ATV rider, running himself into a tree at suicidally high speed, could end up slaughtering several bears, wolves, coyotes, foxes, and numerous small scavengers who happen across the body. Residual methamphetamine in the tissues... the beasties just can't handle it... and if there's Schlitz in the bloodstream the whole local ecosystem could be poisoned :(
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Welp, the Bydureon experiment is done.

My doctor put me on this new medication, Bydureon exenatide injectable. The goal was to reduce my A1C score (long-term blood sugar count) by at least a point, and also help me to lose weight by making me feel "fuller" when it came time to eat.

Only a few problems cropped up:

1. The major side effect of the medication is bloating, nausea, gas, and possible vomiting. I have been having heartburn flashes and belch/gas issues for the last four weeks.
2. Another side effect - the other end of things, ifyouknowhatImean. Can you say "colon blow"?
3. The cost of the pens. You get four of them at a time (one month's supply, essentially). My co-pay for them is $50. You don't want to know how much insurance pays for the rest.
4. Injection site issues. After the first time I did it, each of the subsequent times I injected the stuff into me the area around it got red and welt-like. It was like having a really bad bug bite, and even now the first two haven't gone away.

And this is where the experiment ended. I did my weekly injection on Friday afternoon, this time slightly away from my mid-section. I went off to work, and by the next morning my left side where I'd injected myself felt like it was itching like crazy - along with the other two sites. When I finally got home, Sarah noticed that the one injection site was red - about the size of a baseball - and very puffy. When she touched it, it was warm to the touch - and I flinched like she'd slapped me.

I tried to get some sleep, but this thing kept bothering me. Because I live in MOFNW, Wisconsin, I had to hoof it down to Wausau and the Aspirus Hospital ER (where we waited for about two hours to be seen). They gave me some antibiotics to help with the swelling and redness, and told me to stop taking the stuff, and follow up with my doc next week.

Looks like I'm going to be playing doctor phone tag instead of having a nice anniversary day on Monday.
Having dealt with that sort of reaction to various and sundry meds my whole life, I can state that's typical with early stage anaphylaxis response...at least, that's how it starts with me.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:

My doctor put me on this new medication, Bydureon exenatide injectable. The goal was to reduce my A1C score (long-term blood sugar count) by at least a point, and also help me to lose weight by making me feel "fuller" when it came time to eat.

1. The major side effect of the medication is bloating, nausea, gas, and possible vomiting. I have been having heartburn flashes and belch/gas issues for the last four weeks.
2. Another side effect - the other end of things, ifyouknowhatImean. Can you say "colon blow"?
3. The cost of the pens. You get four of them at a time (one month's supply, essentially). My co-pay for them is $50. You don't want to know how much insurance pays for the rest.
4. Injection site issues. After the first time I did it, each of the subsequent times I injected the stuff into me the area around it got red and welt-like. It was like having a really bad bug bite, and even now the first two haven't gone away.

And this is where the experiment ended. I did my weekly injection on Friday afternoon, this time slightly away from my mid-section. I went off to work, and by the next morning my left side where I'd injected myself felt like it was itching like crazy - along with the other two sites. When I finally got home, Sarah noticed that the one injection site was red - about the size of a baseball - and very puffy. When she touched it, it was warm to the touch - and I flinched like she'd slapped me.

I tried to get some sleep, but this thing kept bothering me. Because I live in MOFNW, Wisconsin, I had to hoof it down to Wausau and the Aspirus Hospital ER (where we waited for about two hours to be seen). They gave me some antibiotics to help with the swelling and redness, and told me to stop taking the stuff, and follow up with my doc next week.

Looks like I'm going to be playing doctor phone tag instead of having a nice anniversary day on Monday.
Having dealt with that sort of reaction to various and sundry meds my whole life, I can state that's typical with early stage anaphylaxis response...at least, that's how it starts with me.
Ditto - though the only time i had something severe was way back in boot camp in 1968 when a reaction to penicillin put me in sick bay for three days.

More recently, i am apparently mildly allergic to the contrast die they use with CAT scans.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

Ditto - though the only time i had something severe was way back in boot camp in 1968 when a reaction to penicillin put me in sick bay for three days.

More recently, i am apparently mildly allergic to the contrast die they use with CAT scans.
Contrast dye is naaaaasty. They pretty much had to do it on first try, dose me with adrenaline, then saline to flush it out. Made my whole body riot in minutes. Penicillin derivatives are the only antibiotics I can use, and everyone else in my immediate family except my son is allergic to penicillin.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

My wife had a nasty set of anaphylaxis responses to some of the antibiotics she was given after surgery and during convalescence, lasts year. She'd had Keflex previously without trouble, but this time she broke out in itching hives within about an hour.

She had a similar reaction to Bactrim (a sulfa-combination antibiotic) a few weeks later.

In both cases, her doctor said "Give her some benadryl", took her off the antibiotic in question immediately, and had her switch back to Cipro.

She had an even worse reaction to a bee-sting early this summer,... not bad enough that she needed an Epi-pen shot, but nasty (huge red welt, which turned into a 6" bruise over a few days). I knew enough about her prior history with stings to feed her a big dose of Benadryl immediately.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Mom has "idiopathic anaphylaxis." Which means she has anaphylactic reactions at random for absolutely no discernible reason. Her body is an idiot.

I've gotten real good at spotting the first signs - for her, it's a slight swelling in the skin around her eyes. I can spit it before she even notices anything.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:I can spit it before she even notices anything.
You've had your parotid glands modified to generate antihistamines?

Cool! :mrgreen:
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Dave wrote:

Just gotta love spiel czech.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Right now I'm basically OK - just that the skin at the injection sites are rather "tough" feeling. No pus or blistering, but like they're thick at those spots.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:

And once again this week, Dave has pirated the award for punishing aggression in proofreading.

In other news, the physicists at the LIGO network are complaining that gravity waves from the pun jar are drowning out the neutron star collisions. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Just this week I watched a four DVD set I borrowed from th local Library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A ... me_Odyssey .

It's hosted by that guy who gets all kinds of flac for demoting Pluto to less than Planet Status (Pluto is a Planet, Dammit!) but otherwise the series, a reboot of the original Carl Sagan version, was OK.

Now I need to go back and binge-watch the Original 1980 series, of which I've only ever seen a couple.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"Billlllyuns and Billllyuns of years agooo..."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...fuck.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:
Dave wrote:
And once again this week, Dave has pirated the award for punishing aggression in proofreading.
Aggression? No... sheer admiration! It sounds to me as if GlytchMeister may have invented the best new Halloween character of the year, and just in time for the event.

He can go to the parties dressed as an anti-hay-fever vampire. :twisted:
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm working on the night light toilet seats this shift. They have a small light in the hinge, because apparently it's too much of a hassle for someone to just turn on the bathroom light, or, if there's a power outage, to use a flash light and leave that on the counter when their hands are occupied.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:I'm working on the night light toilet seats this shift. They have a small light in the hinge, because apparently it's too much of a hassle for someone to just turn on the bathroom light, or, if there's a power outage, to use a flash light and leave that on the counter when their hands are occupied.
Have you ever gone to the head in the middle of the night and turned the super-goddamn-bright bathroom lights on? Hurts like hell. Plus, then your eyes will be adjusted to light and you'll stumble all the way back to bed. And you might have trouble getting back to sleep because of the circadian rhythm's senitivity to light.

It's actually a good idea in my opinion...
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Really? I'd never had a problem with that. Maybe it's just me.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.