More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Sister Claire reference?
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:Sister Claire reference?
Yeah. Yesterday's Guest Art. Yamino & Co are taking a break and posting guest art.

I love the stained-glass effect.

======================

Incidentally: regarding the second "not-an-avatar" above; that one is from the page where Pibgorn's BFF, Drusilla the succubus, gets sucked into the newspaper comics.

"Pibgorn" posts irregularly, but there is another page since, in which a couple of denizens of the comics discuss this new arrival.

I really like Dru's cutie mark...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I kind of like Pibgorn when the characters are being themselves. Not so much when they're warped into being other characters. And it seems like that's most of the time now... so the comic is on my "I got bored" list. I revisit those comics every few months, and usually find nothing that would induce me to move them to another list.
AnotherFairportfan

Been thirty or so years since i last saw one of these in the wild:

Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Is it just me, or are the people who work in hiring people not have any interest in doing things quickly? It's like they just don't care if they fill their positions or not.

For example, I'd applied to two places last week, both of which I'd actually interviewed for before even applying. The first one has had an opening for more than two months. It's my understanding that the background check part of the process doesn't take very long at all, unless there's some kind of problem, in which case they have to send it through State Police, more specifically the ID bureau, which just happens to be where my mom works. The second place had all three of their drivers quit the day I filled out the application to the first place, and I interviewed and applied the next day.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Invoking the Freedom of Speech in a debate is the ultimate concession of position. By doing so you are, in effect, stating that the most powerful argument in favor of your position that you can think of is 'well, at least it isn't illegal to have this position'. Yes, you are, in effect saying 'At least I can't get arrested for saying it'. This does not mean, however, that anyone is obligated to listen to you.

So when you spout off toxic nonsense, and get kicked from a group, you are not 'being repressed', you are being an obnoxious little bigot that no one wants to listen to anymore.

This brought to you by... someone else, somewhere else, with no particular relation to this board.
AnotherFairportfan

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Invoking the Freedom of Speech in a debate is the ultimate concession of position. By doing so you are, in effect, stating that the most powerful argument in favor of your position that you can think of is 'well, at least it isn't illegal to have this position'. Yes, you are, in effect saying 'At least I can't get arrested for saying it'. This does not mean, however, that anyone is obligated to listen to you.

So when you spout off toxic nonsense, and get kicked from a group, you are not 'being repressed', you are being an obnoxious little bigot that no one wants to listen to anymore.

This brought to you by... someone else, somewhere else, with no particular relation to this board.
You might as well vive Randall Munroe bis credi.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:Is it just me, or are the people who work in hiring people not have any interest in doing things quickly? It's like they just don't care if they fill their positions or not.

For example, I'd applied to two places last week, both of which I'd actually interviewed for before even applying. The first one has had an opening for more than two months. It's my understanding that the background check part of the process doesn't take very long at all, unless there's some kind of problem, in which case they have to send it through State Police, more specifically the ID bureau, which just happens to be where my mom works. The second place had all three of their drivers quit the day I filled out the application to the first place, and I interviewed and applied the next day.
Could be they're just disorganized. Or they might like to keep candidates on the line, so they can pull one in fast when they want someone right now.

Or there are internal politics, and the people doing the interviews don't get to decide.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I have friends on the iNterwebz and we agree on somethings and heartily disagree on most everything else.

I'm currently choosing the believe in the inherent goodness of people...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:I'm currently choosing the believe in the inherent goodness of people...
A laudable goal! Unfortunately, sometimes the best we can do is to welcome our new Satanic waterfowl overlords.

(This image popped up in a search I was doing for frogs, with respect to Castela's leapfrog pin-up today. I have no idea why the goo-gull search algorithms offered it up.)
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I shall tithe appropriately, henceforth...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

'goo-gull'.

Now you have me pondering this...

PS- one of my two Base Camps is bracketed by Google & Facebook Headquarters...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

TazManiac wrote:I have friends on the iNterwebz and we agree on somethings and heartily disagree on most everything else.

I'm currently choosing the believe in the inherent goodness of people...
1. Give people all the respect they deserve.

2. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

3. Sometimes, unfortunately, there is no doubt... those people aren't worth your time, so extract yourself from the situation as quickly and peacefully as feasible while preserving your own dignity.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Warrl wrote:I kind of like Pibgorn when the characters are being themselves. Not so much when they're warped into being other characters. And it seems like that's most of the time now... so the comic is on my "I got bored" list. I revisit those comics every few months, and usually find nothing that would induce me to move them to another list.
That's pretty much how it went for me, too. The characters just sort of seemed to get lost and not go anywhere, and I lost interest.
Alkarii wrote:Is it just me, or are the people who work in hiring people not have any interest in doing things quickly? It's like they just don't care if they fill their positions or not.
Around here, hiring's going pretty fast. Except for the time at work where each of the two people working HR thought that the other person had sent in an applicant's drug test, and so they spent several weeks waiting on the results while the test sample sat neglected in the filing cabinet behind them.

It could be that the people who you're applying with are holding out in hopes of the "perfect" applicant. Or they've already hired somebody for the position, and are just keeping you in a holding pattern in case the new hire doesn't work out. Or they're waiting for the go-ahead from higher up, or for the hours or pay to be approved. Or they're just incompetent. Or you're unwittingly part of some secret psychological experiment on annoyance and frustration.
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Invoking the Freedom of Speech in a debate is the ultimate concession of position.
What about invoking the Twenty-First instead of the First Amendment?
TazManiac wrote:I'm currently choosing the believe in the inherent goodness of people...
Most people seem to be generally goodish most of the time. Of course, a lot of bad acts are performed by people who in other situations were generally good.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

It does have two wheels, pedals, handlebars... so I guess it does qualify as a "bicycle"...

But it sure ain't self-propelled...

François Gissy Bicycle World Record 207 mph 333 km/h
(YouTube link)
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

lake_wrangler wrote:It does have two wheels, pedals, handlebars... so I guess it does qualify as a "bicycle"...

But it sure ain't self-propelled...

François Gissy Bicycle World Record 207 mph 333 km/h
(YouTube link)
French engineering beats Acme, apparently. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Typeminer wrote:French engineering beats Acme, apparently. :mrgreen:
Awwww... But don't worry: Wile E. Coyote will always have a special place in our hearts, as guinnea p, err, testeur extraordinaire...
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Typeminer wrote:French engineering beats Acme, apparently. :mrgreen:
Awwww... But don't worry: Wile E. Coyote will always have a special place in our hearts, as guinnea p, err, testeur extraordinaire...
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Is the right side of that image cut off for anyone else, or is it just me?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.