More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: More Stuff

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:So... Thats what Scotty has in the Warp Core of the Enterprise, right? A captive Whatsit...
Only if Whatsit's vines are arranged vertically. If they're crosswise, then it would be a Weft Core (and I'd imagine that a Whatsit stuffed in a bottle and made to power a starship might be very cross indeed).
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Catawampus wrote:
TazManiac wrote:So... Thats what Scotty has in the Warp Core of the Enterprise, right? A captive Whatsit...
Only if Whatsit's vines are arranged vertically. If they're crosswise, then it would be a Weft Core (and I'd imagine that a Whatsit stuffed in a bottle and made to power a starship might be very cross indeed).
... and don't forget to put the lime in the coconut...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

2emstrut.png
2emstrut.png (103.05 KiB) Viewed 9302 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

How about this quote:
“The best defense against the atom bomb is not to be there when it goes off.” - Anonymous
I thinkg it pretty much goes without saying... (but it's too late, it was said anyway... :P )
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, what are you supposed to do after putting the lime in the coconut?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:So, what are you supposed to do after putting the lime in the coconut?
Drink 'em both down.

Then you'll feel better.

Or, call me in the morning.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:(2emstrut picture)
Does anybody else hear this playing in the background?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I forgot - is someone on here from the Valley of the Sun in AZ?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Why? I know someone from another website who lives in Pheonix.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Well, given that I'm currently in the 480 Area Code...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote:
Alkarii wrote:So, what are you supposed to do after putting the lime in the coconut?
Drink 'em both down.

Then you'll feel better.

Or, call me in the morning.
I'm rather partial to this particular interpretation... :mrgreen:
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Alkarii wrote:I don't know anything about that author.

However, I have been "working" on some SF writing off and on for the past few years. I haven't done much with it in a while though, because I haven't felt like writing for a while. Even if I did manage to write anything and get it published, and it was pretty good, I don't see myself as writing novel after novel. Besides, I doubt anything I created would be good enough to warrant much attention.
Glen Cook is a fine SF/fantasy writer, now retired from working at a GM plant as a parts chaser - he says he wrote better when he was working.

His "Black Company" and "Garrett" books are very well-regarded. (Garrett is a classic hardboiled PI -= sort of a combination of Marlowe and Archie Goodwin {_Archie has Nero Wolfe; Garrett has the Dead Man} in a magical world.

I prefer Garrett, but the Black Company books are fine, too.
Oh, right. Glen Cook. Not Rick Cook. I was about to say, the Wiz Biz was hilarious from a programmer's perspective, but I wouldn't call it 'brilliant'.

Black Company is a good read. I think I may have missed Garrett... and I believe that is my cue to somehow make it to Barns n Nobles without getting in trouble again. Or, failing that, a Half Priced.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

How about this quote:
“Forty is the old age of youth; fifty is the youth of old age.” - Victor Hugo
According to that, I'm just about done being an old youth, and in a year and two months, I will be an young old guy... :mrgreen:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

lake_wrangler wrote:How about this quote:
According to that, I'm just about done being an old youth, and in a year and two months, I will be an young old guy... :mrgreen:
It's kind of like when you have a new car, but there comes the day you say, "I used to have a new car!"
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Atomic wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:How about this quote:
It's kind of like when you have a new car, but there comes the day you say, "I used to have a new car!"
New car? What's that? I don't recall ever seeing such an animal anywhere near me... ;)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Atomic wrote:It's kind of like when you have a new car, but there comes the day you say, "I used to have a new car!"
New car? What's that? I don't recall ever seeing such an animal anywhere near me... ;)
have you ever bought a car?

if you HAVE, then you must realize the fact that the instant YOU bought it, it BECAME "your NEW Car"... meaning it was the vehicle you have owned for the SHORTEST amount of time, from any OTHER vehicles you may own at that time/have owned in the past... even if the car was manufactured before you were born, it's STILL your "new" car the instant the signature is completed on the dotted line...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

This quote made me laugh:
“After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done.” - Unknown
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

scantrontb wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Atomic wrote:It's kind of like when you have a new car, but there comes the day you say, "I used to have a new car!"
have you ever bought a car?

if you HAVE, then you must realize the fact that the instant YOU bought it, it BECAME "your NEW Car"... meaning it was the vehicle you have owned for the SHORTEST amount of time, from any OTHER vehicles you may own at that time/have owned in the past... even if the car was manufactured before you were born, it's STILL your "new" car the instant the signature is completed on the dotted line...
When you specify it like that, sure. But the way you stated it before seemed to imply, to me, at least, an actual new car, as in newly minted, recently manufactured. And eventually, it no longer qualifies as new.

So sure, I've had several new old cars. Just never any new new car... (And I'm not sure I'd want one, either...)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

scantrontb wrote:if you HAVE, then you must realize the fact that the instant YOU bought it, it BECAME "your NEW Car"... meaning it was the vehicle you have owned for the SHORTEST amount of time, from any OTHER vehicles you may own at that time/have owned in the past... even if the car was manufactured before you were born, it's STILL your "new" car the instant the signature is completed on the dotted line...
Unless the car is a DeLorean, in which case you might will be owning it after you will be paying for it in the past, making your new car your old one.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That's still a touchy subject in some parts.

I have owned new cars, but my last two vehicles have been used.