More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Re: More Stuff

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Catawampus wrote:
Alkarii wrote:From what I've read, you can shoot the latter in a semi auto rifle marked for the former, but trying to go the other way around causes slam firing. I haven't actually looked up the term, but I'm gonna guess it's when rounds start going off when chambered.
It's when you have a semi-automatic or automatic weapon, and the firing pin gets jammed (usually due to poor--or lack of--maintenance) in the far forward position where it hits against the chambered round's primer. When the action cycles and the next round is chambered, the primer "slams" up against the stuck firing pin and the round fires without you even pulling the trigger. And that cycles the action again, and when the next round in line is chambered, it can repeat the process. So your semi-automatic can end up firing off its entire magazine without you even touching the gun. Which can be a bit awkward and embarrassing in the wrong circumstances.

The SKS is supposedly very notorious for that sort of thing, though I've only known of one to do it one time.
The Captain of COMMSTA Cam Ramh Bay, i was told, almost shot the Electronic Maintenance Officer's ear {at least} off when his lovingly-tweaked 1911 went full auto when he pulled the trigger as they were sitting side-by-side in a jeep...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I finally managed to get a hog light for my rifle. Only $40, and I had a gift card for $50, so I also got some cleaning brushes.

I'm not sure if I'll get one just like it when I get the AR-10 I'm wanting, because I can get a different accessory mounting system for that (compared to having to very carefully clamp the light to my scope), and there was a larger model available. The downside is that the front of the scope is big enough to obscure a little bit of the beam, but not enough to be noticeable when looking through the scope.

Now I'll know if I'm aiming at a pig, or a sasquatch. I heard that it's actually illegal to shoot the latter, which is kind of amusing, even though it makes sense.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Holy crap. Yeah... that’s... that’s bad.
About as much fun as when a totally inexperienced trainee is handed a machine gun with a full belt of ammunition for his first time using a gun.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:The Captain of COMMSTA Cam Ramh Bay, i was told, almost shot the Electronic Maintenance Officer's ear {at least} off when his lovingly-tweaked 1911 went full auto when he pulled the trigger as they were sitting side-by-side in a jeep...
There was a German pistol (I forget which one, VP70 or something like that) that was made so that when you clipped on the shoulder-stock accessory it would fire fully automatic. Somebody was playing around with one that had been badly abused and neglected, and apparently the pistol thought that it had the stock attached because it suddenly fired off three rounds on automatic. While inside of a crowded armoured car. The guy was not very popular at that moment.
Alkarii wrote:Now I'll know if I'm aiming at a pig, or a sasquatch. I heard that it's actually illegal to shoot the latter, which is kind of amusing, even though it makes sense.
The sasquatches can shoot back.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm not talking about pranksters or especially hairy hunters.

I mean that it is literally illegal to shoot at a sasquatch/bigfoot, even though the existence of such hasn't been proven. This is because you could either be shooting what may be an endangered species, or someone who is trying to pull a prank or whatever.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Alkarii wrote:I'm not talking about pranksters or especially hairy hunters.

I mean that it is literally illegal to shoot at a sasquatch/bigfoot, even though the existence of such hasn't been proven. This is because you could either be shooting what may be an endangered species, or someone who is trying to pull a prank or whatever.
Those are pretty good reasons, actually.

There's a lot to be said for not shooting at things that don't exist. Keeps the house neater, and saves ammunition. 8-)
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:I mean that it is literally illegal to shoot at a sasquatch/bigfoot, even though the existence of such hasn't been proven. This is because you could either be shooting what may be an endangered species, or someone who is trying to pull a prank or whatever.
I suspect prosecuting that offense would be difficult. The shooter could always claim that he'd been firing to defend himself from an attacking mishipeshu, or trying to drive away a pack of marauding squonks. How could the prosecutor prove otherwise?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I hear that in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee, there a very short season for Nauga -- Thursdays in October, between 1 and 4 PM. Somehow it works, because Naugahyde has to come from somewhere...

(Throws green and orange rayon Aloha shirt into the Pun Jar)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Man, i wish i still had the comprehensive monograph on the habits and lifecycle of the nauga i wrote twenty-some years ago...

{It started with an off-hand remark as my first wife and i were walking back to the car after a movie; by the time we got to the car, Susan was having trouble walking straight and i was still elaborating...}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Atomic wrote:I hear that in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee, there a very short season for Nauga -- Thursdays in October, between 1 and 4 PM. Somehow it works, because Naugahyde has to come from somewhere...

Aren't Naugas distantly related to Corinths, from who's hides we enjoy the comfort and luxury of rich, Corinthian leather?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Every time I hear of Corinthian leather, I think of that one fight in the SUV in Deadpool...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Hansontoons wrote:
Atomic wrote:I hear that in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee, there a very short season for Nauga -- Thursdays in October, between 1 and 4 PM. Somehow it works, because Naugahyde has to come from somewhere...

Aren't Naugas distantly related to Corinths, from who's hides we enjoy the comfort and luxury of rich, Corinthian leather?
Yes, but Corinths were a gengineered species developed by Chrysler Corporation.The Nauga was the wild stock it developed from.

With the durability issues with Corin leather (it didn't like UV) the whole subspecies went extinct.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Just Old Al wrote:Yes, but Corinths were a gengineered species developed by Chrysler Corporation.The Nauga was the wild stock it developed from.

With the durability issues with Corin leather (it didn't like UV) the whole subspecies went extinct.
Yes -- it was the Corfam shoes that finally did them in. Beautiful shine, no durability, and hot to wear. Bleah.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just Old Al wrote:Yes, but Corinths were a gengineered species developed by Chrysler Corporation.The Nauga was the wild stock it developed from.

However, a close relative survives today. The nerds in the lab tried amplifying a fur gene that they had suppressed in the Corinths, and created a subspecies they dubbed the Plushy. These fared much better than the Corinths had, especially as their instincts tended to keep them indoors and out of the sun.

They're darned near an invasive species in some places, and they've almost entirely outcompeted some native species like the lesser American Gumby.
AnotherFairportfan

I was bored.
daydream.jpg
daydream.jpg (109.37 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You get the feeling Bryn has "Mrs. Robinson" as the ringtone for Kath? ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:You get the feeling Bryn has "Mrs. Robinson" as the ringtone for Kath? ;)
"Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune"

========

BTW: Did you know that the original title of that song was "Mrs Roosevelt"?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I just put a $200 down payment on an AR-10. Turns out the store I went to has a 90-day layaway. Looks like money ain't gonna be nearly as tight as I thought it would be over the next few weeks.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Day Dreaming and I'm Thinking of You...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:You get the feeling Bryn has "Mrs. Robinson" as the ringtone for Kath? ;)
Not if she's familiar with The Graduate at all, no.

I'd think for epic levels of blushing, she'd have Jimi Hendrix set up.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:
Not if she's familiar with The Graduate at all, no.

I'd think for epic levels of blushing, she'd have Jimi Hendrix set up.

Are You Experienced?