More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: More Stuff

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:My school was almost Texan in how they treated football - I think over half the school budget was somehow dedicated to the varsity team, probably through illegal means (using money meant for, y'know, education, on the football team and stadium).
And now, there's the wonderful news indicating just how prevalent CTE is among professional football players - with a very high incidence detectable in college football players, and a nontrivial number among high-school football players.

I mean... parents, come on! Are you really going to encourage your kids to go out for a sport where, even if they don't get into the pro leagues, they are at extremely high risk of suffering chronic and permanent damage to their brains by the time they leave college?

I sorta think that Moloch-worship isn't as out of style as people would like to believe.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:My school was almost Texan in how they treated football - I think over half the school budget was somehow dedicated to the varsity team, probably through illegal means (using money meant for, y'know, education, on the football team and stadium).
And now, there's the wonderful news indicating just how prevalent CTE is among professional football players - with a very high incidence detectable in college football players, and a nontrivial number among high-school football players.
Watch out - there is definitely some selection bias in that most recent study - it studied the brains of 200 former football players - most of them donated by families who were pretty sure that the player in question had CTE.

What we need to do is round up all the LIVING football players, cut off their heads, and study THEIR brains...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

My high school (another small district in rural Pennsylvania) didn't have a football team when I was a student, for budget reasons. I'm kind of proud of that.

The basketball team and the cheerleaders acted like basketball was the only sport, but we also had baseball, golf, and track. I went out for track every year. Most of us were no damn good at all, and we had almost no equipment, but we turned out for practice every day, and showed up for the meets. (That was a big attraction--we didn't even have a track, so all the meets were away, and we could skip classes.)

Anyhow, I knew enough guys in neighboring districts who got injured playing football in junior high and had more and more pain with age. It's legal brutality, and I'd be glad to see the end of it.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Watch out - there is definitely some selection bias in that most recent study - it studied the brains of 200 former football players - most of them donated by families who were pretty sure that the player in question had CTE.

What we need to do is round up all the LIVING football players, cut off their heads, and study THEIR brains...
I volunteer the members of the New England Patriots.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

My wireless mouse has epilepsy! As you can see in the video, it frequently decides that it won't stay in place long enough for me to pick up or drop objects with any kind of precision. Not looking for a fix, just thought you might get a laugh at it.
My epileptic mouse.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Watch out - there is definitely some selection bias in that most recent study - it studied the brains of 200 former football players - most of them donated by families who were pretty sure that the player in question had CTE.

Joe Ward, Josh Williams, and Sam Manchester in the original article on nytimes.com wrote: About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players had tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:

Joe Ward, Josh Williams, and Sam Manchester in the original article on nytimes.com wrote: About 1,300 former players have died since the B.U. group began examining brains. So even if every one of the other 1,200 players had tested negative — which even the heartiest skeptics would agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population.
Well, yeah. But the prevalence in that sample was close to 100%...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Is it just me, or does hard work really not mean anything anymore, except for those who have degrees (and managed to get a job that uses it)?
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

2staveketi.png
2staveketi.png (194.52 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Alkarii wrote:Is it just me, or does hard work really not mean anything anymore, except for those who have degrees (and managed to get a job that uses it)?
Yeah pretty much. It means you are willing to be paid unlivable wages or have no other option but to take said unlivable wages. Which means you are essentially a serf.

I know how you feel man.

Are their any unionized manufacturing plants in your area, like CAT or Komatsu or maybe an auto manufacturer? You have a small chance of getting hired to them directly, but I'd investigate the prepheral companies contracted to them - the ones who supply non-unionized workers to do the extra-gross or extra-hard or otherwise extra-unpleasant work. I'm currently working as a garbage man at one such major manufacturing plant, and it's honestly not that bad. Yeah it's hot as hell and it can be fairly hard work, but it's way better than Walmart - I get the same wages, BUT I also get plenty of opportunities for overtime AND they don't expect me to pull a miracle out my ass every day. Plus, I don't have to deal with general public customers.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

We have some factories, but everyone is only hiring temps, and I need more than just a couple months at a time.

Hell, I TRIED applying to Walmart when I left Home Depot. You can't turn in a paper application there anymore, but their website didn't have any link to applying for a job that I could see.

Of course, given that all the jobs around here that give you 40 hours a week require two or three years management experience, or a degree of some kind, and most apparently aren't in this area, I'm beginning to think I'm just not meant to have a job, at least in Arkansas, anyway.
Last edited by Alkarii on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Of course, most of the wages would be adequate if 1/3 or more of your income didn't go to State and Federal programs for fairy dust removal, unicorn fart filtering, and so many other social necessities....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote:Of course, most of the wages would be adequate if 1/3 or more of your income didn't go to State and Federal programs for fairy dust removal, unicorn fart filtering, and so many other social necessities....
Wrong.

Federal programs like building a military that - if competently applied - could destroy the whole world four or five times, making sure that every Congressman's home district has military plants building hardware the military doesn't want and will never use...

Even if the kind of programs you describe existed, the military budget would waste a LOT more.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Federal programs like building a military that - if competently applied - could destroy the whole world four or five times, making sure that every Congressman's home district has military plants building hardware the military doesn't want and will never use...

Even if the kind of programs you describe existed, the military budget would waste a LOT more.
But being generous souls, they take a lot of the surplus junk the military doesn't want, and distribute it to local police departments in areas where there are no good jobs.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Atomic wrote:Of course, most of the wages would be adequate if 1/3 or more of your income didn't go to State and Federal programs for fairy dust removal, unicorn fart filtering, and so many other social necessities....
Wrong.

Federal programs like building a military that - if competently applied - could destroy the whole world four or five times, making sure that every Congressman's home district has military plants building hardware the military doesn't want and will never use...

He's not wrong, but neither are you. You both describe different forms of waste.

He's referring to pork barrel legislation, which most certainly IS a waste of resources, the result of buying votes and having to deliver with projects that serve no purpose other than to enrich people who backed the politicians.

You refer to Military waste, which is also a valid critique of our economic system. However, you are also going way too far in your hyperbole, which makes you sound very polarized on the topic, which does not lend itself to rational discourse. You know that you know what you know, and no amount of evidence could sway your position. I'm not saying that this is the case, merely that this is how you are presenting yourself with these broad sweeping definitive statements.

You'd have to go pretty far to find an incorrect answer when the question is 'how does our government waste money'. Military spending needs to be completely overhauled, yes. So does pork barrel legislation. For that matter, so does Medicare fraud which costs the system some five Billion dollars annually. Sure, it's a drop in the bucket, but that's still a pretty damn big drop. Unfortunately, it is not in the interests of Congress to reform these practices, so it will simply not happen.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Pokes tiger, steps back, sees knee jerk, steps further back. Munches popcorn.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:You refer to Military waste, which is also a valid critique of our economic system. However, you are also going way too far in your hyperbole, which makes you sound very polarized on the topic, which does not lend itself to rational discourse. You know that you know what you know, and no amount of evidence could sway your position. I'm not saying that this is the case, merely that this is how you are presenting yourself with these broad sweeping definitive statements.
A large percentage - possibly the majority - of military spending these days is pure pork.

Consider the second engine program for the F35 - pure pork.

Consider the F35 itself - a hangar queen that will almost certainly never be truly operational, and will cost trillions of dollars if it is. (Last i heard, the damned thing can't even fire its main gun.)

The situation with military bases isn't quite as dire as it used to be, but they're still as often as not examples of the pork barrel. {Bernie Sanders, for ghu's sake, supports the F35 program- and fought for and won stationing the first operational Air National Guard F35 unit at a commercial airport in his home state of Vermont}

Consider that the new GOP budget proposal allots 60 billion in added funding to the military - which is twice what the Pentagon actually ASKED for - which is way more than it actually needs - while cutting Medicare, Medicaid and most other socially useful programs.

Is there a reason that the US needs to spend roughly four times annually what the next nearest nation - China - does, or TEN times what Russia - the evil militaristic aggressor does?
milbudget.jpg
milbudget.jpg (55.01 KiB) Viewed 8083 times
milbudget2.jpg
milbudget2.jpg (81.3 KiB) Viewed 8083 times
We could cut our military budget in HALF and still outspend any other nation.

I frequently DEFEND the military on money matters - the infamous thousand-dollar-hammer, for instance, which turns out to be bad spec writing by a procurement officer - but that's in cases where they're actually trying to accomplish the mission and not just pump the budget.

{This is my last comment on this}
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:You refer to Military waste, which is also a valid critique of our economic system. However, you are also going way too far in your hyperbole, which makes you sound very polarized on the topic, which does not lend itself to rational discourse. You know that you know what you know, and no amount of evidence could sway your position. I'm not saying that this is the case, merely that this is how you are presenting yourself with these broad sweeping definitive statements.
A large percentage - possibly the majority - of military spending these days is pure pork.

Consider the second engine program for the F35 - pure pork.

Consider the F35 itself - a hangar queen that will almost certainly never be truly operational, and will cost trillions of dollars if it is. (Last i heard, the damned thing can't even fire its main gun.)
Okay, gonna have to stop you here.

The F-35 JSF aircraft is a completely new type of aircraft. It is a VTOL Supercruise Fighter-Bomber with carrier takeoff/landing capability and short-runway takeoff/landing. The engineering challenges involved in doing something like this are enormous. R&D is always stupidly expensive. That doesn't necessarily mean it is money wasted, and it certainly doesn't mean it is pork.

As far as the second engine, the reason it has that is due to the necessary specifications. Specifically, it is supposed to replace the current line of Harrier jets with VTOL (Vertical Takeoff/Landing) capability. However, a major problem with Harriers is that they can suck in the hot air they are pushing down back into the exhaust ports of the jet engines, causing a stall and a crash. To combat this, and to make hover FAR more stable, a second engine is connected via crankshaft to make VTOL much less dangerous. Combined with vectored thrusting, you have an aircraft which can perform VTOL on a pitching carrier deck with ten percent the chance of failure that a conventional Harrier has. That means you are ten times less likely to lose both aircraft and pilot. That's not pork, that's good engineering.

Furthermore, it is the only VTOL aircraft that can Supercruise, meaning it can cruise at speeds in excess of Mach 1 (I believe cruising speed for the F-35 is 1.5-1.7 Mach) without needing to hit the afterburners, which are ludicrously fuel-hogging. In fact, the only other aircraft with Supercruise is the F22 Raptor.

Then we talk about the Stealth aspects of the vehicle. Because it's not enough to create an aircraft which meets the specifications of the Air Force, Navy, Marines, and Army... let's go ahead and reduce its radar profile to the size of a chicken's. And this is really where the cost comes from. It uses materials that are classified, so you have to go to the only manufacturer of the substance to make your aircraft, that has to be ordered pretty much one-off until the orders start coming in. That ain't cheap.

The F-35 is designed to be able to perform a wide variety of missions in a wide variety of theaters. It beats the pants off of anything the Navy or Marines have. The F22 Raptor will still take them down in a dogfight, but the F22 is designed specifically for air interdiction and doesn't have the role flexibility the F-35 has. However, typically the F-35 is going to be using JDAM-equipped bomb payloads, including the capability of mounting a MOAB internally. Having said that, it's still better than anything anyone else has in terms of dogfighting.

The problem is that media in general is not able to comprehend that when you ask for something new, there are a LOT of entailed costs. You're designing a whole new classification of aircraft, one which fills multiple roles previously filled by several different aircraft. The aircraft does not cost the money you are citing, the R&D to make it does.

Furthermore, the F-35 does not even HAVE a 'main gun'. In fact, most aircraft don't anymore. It does have a 25mm 4-barrel minigun (compare that to the 30mm that the Warthog mounts), but honestly it typically doesn't get close enough to anyone to actually use it. Almost all air engagements are ended with missiles these days, not guns. Heck, they could probably remove the gun entirely and it would be simply saved weight. But I suppose it means the F-35 can fill the role of close air support if no warthogs are in the area.
Is there a reason that the US needs to spend roughly four times annually what the next nearest nation - China - does, or TEN times what Russia - the evil militaristic aggressor does?
milbudget.jpg
milbudget2.jpg
We could cut our military budget in HALF and still outspend any other nation.

I frequently DEFEND the military on money matters - the infamous thousand-dollar-hammer, for instance, which turns out to be bad spec writing by a procurement officer - but that's in cases where they're actually trying to accomplish the mission and not just pump the budget.

{This is my last comment on this}
The guy in front has to work twice as hard to stay in front. As the R&D curve climbs, more and more resources have to be devoted to maintain our edge of superiority.

Again, I'm not saying you were wrong that there's a lot of waste in military spending. In fact, if you recall, I agreed with you on that topic. I'm not even sure why you are getting so defensive about it. But citing incorrect information as 'facts' isn't helping anyone.
AnotherFairportfan

The F35 is a hangar queen that will never be properly operational, and the ONLY reason for the second engine (which the military fought against) is to bring home pork to Congressional districts with aircraft manufacturers that didn't get the original contract.

Fuel bowsers for the thing have to be painted white or kept out of sunlight because otherwise the aircraft malfunctions.
AnotherFairportfan

I should have said "main armament" - "gun" was sorta automatic.
As far as the second engine, the reason it has that is due to the necessary specifications. Specifically, it is supposed to replace the current line of Harrier jets with VTOL (Vertical Takeoff/Landing) capability. However, a major problem with Harriers is that they can suck in the hot air they are pushing down back into the exhaust ports of the jet engines, causing a stall and a crash. To combat this, and to make hover FAR more stable, a second engine is connected via crankshaft to make VTOL much less dangerous. Combined with vectored thrusting, you have an aircraft which can perform VTOL on a pitching carrier deck with ten percent the chance of failure that a conventional Harrier has. That means you are ten times less likely to lose both aircraft and pilot. That's not pork, that's good engineering.
Sorry - not the "second engine" i was referring to - politics forced the military to contract with the other aircraft companies to develop a second main engine - a completely different main engine, one not parts-compatible, and possibly (i haven't seen anything definite) not even mounting-compatible.

As to carrier landings - last i heard, they were trying to figure out how to prevent the thing from destroying runways and carrier decks with its downblast in VTOL.

Might want to read this, which summarises and links to Pentagon reports early this year stating that the thing is still slipping further back and behind schedule.

Oh - and as for its combat superiority? By the time it's actually operational, because of the fact that it's so far behind schedule, other nations will have developed aircraft that will equal or exceed its capabilities.