More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: More Stuff

Post by AmriloJim »

It's a limitation of the phpBB forum software, Alkarii. I linked to an image that is 850px wide, but the board will only display the left-most 480px. Workaround: right-click, select "View Image", get the joke and back-pedal to get back to the post. Or berate the poster until he can d/l and resize the image....
rsz_kk20170702.jpg
rsz_kk20170702.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 8993 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Is the right side of that image cut off for anyone else, or is it just me?
Me too. I believe it's an artifact of how the Forum software does its page layout... images greater than a certain width are clipped when they are displayed, with no option to either scale them down or scroll them.

If your browser supports it, try doing an "open image in new tab" (or "new window") to see the full image.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Your browser might also be a factor. I'm running Pale Moon on Linux Mint, and got the full-size image with no clipping.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm using a smartphone. Right-clicking is not an option. I'll just have to try opening it in a new tab.

What I find strange, though, is that a lot of times when someone posts a picture bigger than the forum likes to allow, it usually lets me scroll the picture so I can see everything, but it hasn't been doing that lately.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Back around the turn of the PREVIOUS century, a guy pedaled a bicycle at 100 MPH {might have been 120; it's been something like fifty years since I read the story in "Boy's Life"} along a board track laid over the sleepers along ten mile stretch of straight railway, using a special train for a windbreak.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:I'm using a smartphone. Right-clicking is not an option. I'll just have to try opening it in a new tab.

What I find strange, though, is that a lot of times when someone posts a picture bigger than the forum likes to allow, it usually lets me scroll the picture so I can see everything, but it hasn't been doing that lately.
People post pictures here in two different ways... either by providing a URL which links to an image somewhere on the Net, or by actually uploading the image file to the forum site and inserting it as an "inline" image.

The forum software treats them differently... inline images are often only partially displayed but you can click on them to see more (or all) of them. Linked images aren't scrollable, I think.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

time for another quote...
“Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.” - William James
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

One other bit of info, re: Pictures- I'm using Firefox on most all platforms & while the larger pictures get cut off by default, if I click once on them they usually reappear in their entirety.

Fairport's avatar updates are a good example.
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:Fairport's avatar updates are a good example.
Speaking of which:

BSOT
bong.png
bong.png (158.32 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:One other bit of info, re: Pictures- I'm using Firefox on most all platforms & while the larger pictures get cut off by default, if I click once on them they usually reappear in their entirety.

Fairport's avatar updates are a good example.
As was said previously, the reason why his avatars are partially cut off, but get to full size when you click on them, is that he is uploading the photo itself to the forum, rather than just linking to a photo that is hosted elsewhere on the net. You can see that by quoting his post, and you will see that mention is made of an attachment, rather than seeing an IMG tag in the text.

It's what makes the difference between this linked image:

and this one, which I downloaded to my computer first, so I could upload it to this post:
2017-07-11-getting-some.jpg
2017-07-11-getting-some.jpg (220.1 KiB) Viewed 8948 times
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Yes. If you use the [ IMG ] tag, the whole thing will show, possibly clipped on the right side depending on how wide it is. That the PHPBB formatting. If you upload the the Board, it will be windowed with sliders depending on the size. In either case, View Image will display it fully, depending on your screen resolution.

Also, check your browser's Zoom. Higher zooms can force edge clipping. (Firefox user here)
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Publication1.jpg
Publication1.jpg (53.48 KiB) Viewed 8913 times
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Wrangler, all I got from your example was 'vast tracks of land are distracting'... :roll: :D
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Wrangler, all I got from your example was 'vast tracks of land are distracting'... :roll: :D
I didn't draw it, I merely linked to it... :P

Just remember: when linked, an image simply shows up. When uploaded as an attachment, you have to click on it to see the full vastness of the tracts of land... :lol:
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Here's an interesting quote... (One which I might just want to study further... :roll: )
“Time spent doing whatever it is you do to escape your daily life would be better spent acquiring a life that needs no escape.” - Shaun Hick
And a second one, which I probably should heed, as well:
“Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.” - Napoleon Bonaparte
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:And a second one, which I probably should heed, as well:
“Take time to deliberate, but when the time for action has arrived, stop thinking and go in.” - Napoleon Bonaparte
Though you want to be careful taking advice from a guy whose life choices led to massive amounts of destruction and being exiled on a little rock in the middle of the ocean.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Publication1.jpg
Okay, I have to ask where this is from?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Catawampus wrote:Though you want to be careful taking advice from a guy whose life choices led to massive amounts of destruction and being exiled on a little rock in the middle of the ocean.
Details, details... :P

How about this one, then:
“Multitasking /adj./ 3 PCs and a chair with wheels !” - unknown
Though I couldn't tell you who this "Unknown" guy is, so I ton't know if he's trustworthy or not... ;)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

lake_wrangler wrote:How about this one, then:
“Multitasking /adj./ 3 PCs and a chair with wheels !” - unknown
Workplace frustration: the same, but with a deep-pile carpet added.
AnotherFairportfan

jwhouk wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Publication1.jpg
Okay, I have to ask where this is from?
I Dream of a Jeannie Bottle - two buddies find a bottle that looks the one in "I Dream of Jeanie" ... and one of them (a womanising horndog) winds up turned into a sexy blonde genie, living in the bottle ... and with his buddy (who's a NASA contract engineer) as his Master. (Rodger, the friend, doesn't take the sort of advantage of that of the sort that they both know Gene would, and the absolute obedience part of the "Master" thing is just a brief setup sequence, though Rodger does wind up officially listed as "Genie's" Master at Genie Central.)

Gene (lucky that was his name, huh?) has a habit of turning his buddy into a sexy girl in a harem costume and poofing him into a downtown Cocoa Beach strip club called "The Harem" when annoyed.

So far they've crossed over with identifiable versions of "Bewitched" and "I Dream of Jeanie" and all sorts of silliness and PG sexiness has occurred.

The comic was recently written up on Barbara Eden's official fan site...

Normally Jeannie wears a pink outfit like Barbara Eden's on the TV show, though she can change it easily; she usually forgets about the stupid hat and winds up still wearing it (in an appropriate colour), which has been known to give her away...